Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi allroad
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
DoubleA4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 146874
 
DoubleA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 227
Default Check engine light and emission testing (in Illinois)

This may be a very pedestrian question but I don't know where to go for good advice. So, here it goes: "check engine" light is on. A check of the code was not conclusive to the origin but was suggested it could have something to do with leaky gasket(s). When taking the car in for emission testing it fails due to the check engine light being illuminated. They don't seem to care if the cars emission is within tolerances or not as long as that light is on your car fails.

So, my question is this: without spending a ton of money to chase the problem down is there a way to get the check engine light to stay off (yes, I have had it cleared only for it to come back on while driving back from the shop) so that I can get emission test done? Any and all constructive comments welcome and thanks in advance.
__________________
Current: 2011 S5, Prestige, 6sp; 2005 Allroad, 2.7tt, tip, tranny chip, GAIC tuned
Past: 2003 A4, 3.0, 6sp
DoubleA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
GTA_Driver
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 80057
 
GTA_Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA4 View Post
This may be a very pedestrian question but I don't know where to go for good advice. So, here it goes: "check engine" light is on. A check of the code was not conclusive to the origin but was suggested it could have something to do with leaky gasket(s). When taking the car in for emission testing it fails due to the check engine light being illuminated. They don't seem to care if the cars emission is within tolerances or not as long as that light is on your car fails.

So, my question is this: without spending a ton of money to chase the problem down is there a way to get the check engine light to stay off (yes, I have had it cleared only for it to come back on while driving back from the shop) so that I can get emission test done? Any and all constructive comments welcome and thanks in advance.
There are several hundred codes. Which one is triggered in your case? Post the code number.
GTA_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
indoor
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 143061
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 219
Default

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can scan for codes free. In most cases the check engine light comes on because of emission related issues: oxygen sensors, leaks in the exhaust system(aka holes), leaks in the vacuum hoses, SAI pump, bad MAF, car running too rich or too lean, etc. But even the automatic tranny can cause a check engine light, or a bad brake booster. But no leaky gaskets would cause a check engine light
It's easier to pin point if you have the exact code.
indoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
DoubleA4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 146874
 
DoubleA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoor View Post
Where are you located? Maybe someone here can scan for codes free. In most cases the check engine light comes on because of emission related issues: oxygen sensors, leaks in the exhaust system(aka holes), leaks in the vacuum hoses, SAI pump, bad MAF, car running too rich or too lean, etc. But even the automatic tranny can cause a check engine light, or a bad brake booster. But no leaky gaskets would cause a check engine light
It's easier to pin point if you have the exact code.
I'm on the Northside of Chicago. Near 90/94. Where are you located? My most recent work was at CPT.
__________________
Current: 2011 S5, Prestige, 6sp; 2005 Allroad, 2.7tt, tip, tranny chip, GAIC tuned
Past: 2003 A4, 3.0, 6sp
DoubleA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
all(over)road
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 92641
 
all(over)road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 626
Default

Can't really help w/o the code(s) man.

www.Ross-Tech.com a super investment for the Audi/VW owner.
__________________
Jimbo

Manchester, CT
__________________________
2001 6-speed allroad (O.CT Stage 1)
2003 RS6 (MTM Stage 1)
1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E
2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63
all(over)road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
DoubleA4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 146874
 
DoubleA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by all(over)road View Post
Can't really help w/o the code(s) man.

www.Ross-Tech.com a super investment for the Audi/VW owner.
I'm working on it. Seems obvious. I did a head-slap after the first post. DOH! I'll get it and post as soon as I have it. Thanks for your patience and help.
__________________
Current: 2011 S5, Prestige, 6sp; 2005 Allroad, 2.7tt, tip, tranny chip, GAIC tuned
Past: 2003 A4, 3.0, 6sp
DoubleA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
2turbos4rings
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 166899
 
2turbos4rings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10
Default

I'm in the West burbs with vcds if you need codes pulled.
2turbos4rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
epc01ar
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 273801
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Default OBDII

A cheap $50 OBD2 will pull *most* of the codes, as mine does. The Audi specific codes go above 1000 on my reader anyway. It will also clear the codes.

One thing, you really do need to find an indie tech who knows their way around one of these.
epc01ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
epc01ar
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 273801
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Default

My $50 reader pulls most of the codes. Audi specific codes go above #1000 and arent in the book. However, even the cheapo $50 clear the codes.

Most importantly, you really do need to find an indie tech who knows their way around one of these. You might make that your mission tomorrow!
epc01ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Mike B
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 140
 
Mike B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Wheeling, Illinois
Posts: 1,672
Default

I PM'd you a week ago. If you're willing to drive to Wheeling, let me know.
__________________
-Mike

Hers:
2001 TT roadster, 5mt, triple green, no mods;
2002 allroad, Highland Green, 6mt, Stage 2.
Mine:
2006 S4 25quattro #103 of 250, 6mt, Avus Silver, H&R coilovers;
2003 allroad, Cobalt Blue, 6mt, Stage 2.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
audi, cars, check, emission, engine, illinois, inspection, issues, light


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts