Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Traction Control

So I have been poking around and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Is it true that the ESP on the Q5 can only be put into the "off road" mode? It isn't possible to completely turn it off? Some folks say that if you hold the button it will turn off completely, while others say that it can't be fully disabled at all. What is the correct answer to this question?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by stimm32
So I have been poking around and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Is it true that the ESP on the Q5 can only be put into the "off road" mode? It isn't possible to completely turn it off? Some folks say that if you hold the button it will turn off completely, while others say that it can't be fully disabled at all. What is the correct answer to this question?

Thanks!
I noticed this today as well on the SQ. Pressing the button shuts off ESP according to the display and holding does nothing. Whereas on my S4 first shuts off ASR and holding completely shuts off ESP.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Q5 used to have the option of ESP off, then sometime in the past 2 years it switched to ESP off road after a service appt or something. It looks like it cannot be completely disabled without coding or something, I've tried holding the button, etc.. Intervention isn't terrible in ESP off road though IMO

Nice to see they let you kill the ESP completely in the SQ5.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drunkenup
My Q5 used to have the option of ESP off, then sometime in the past 2 years it switched to ESP off road after a service appt or something. It looks like it cannot be completely disabled without coding or something, I've tried holding the button, etc.. Intervention isn't terrible in ESP off road though IMO

Nice to see they let you kill the ESP completely in the SQ5.
my 2009 was able to turn off completely below 20mph. then turned back on. my 2012 i can't fully turn it off fully.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This car has been babied at the dealer for it's entire life, so I'm betting that if it ever was an option to turn it completely off, that option has since been revoked by a software update.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It annoys me that you cannot completely disable it on my SQ5...

It's not so much for road driving, but a few times I have wanted to hoon it around a wet field.
Don't get me wrong, you can get the car doing full 360 spins, but in doing so it vibrates like a bitch as it grabs the brake on each wheel doing everything it can to keep you in a straight line, while I do everything I can to keep going round in circles!!

On the subject of road driving, even using launch control, in the wet, you barely get any wheel spin, the TC doesn't actually kick in (this is in the summer, I expect in the winter it would!). I've had it sideways twice on a roundabout, but you have to be REALLY trying hard to do that, and the TC when it does 'save' you is quite progressive in doing so. In reality I don't think on the road at least anyone is going to be impeded by the TC.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default So I guess none of this in the roundabouts?

Back to the old C4...
Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Haha! Love it.
And the prize for least dramatic drift ever goes to...
Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Here the explanation for the system ESP / ASR and much of the technical data (Drivetrain, Quattro, Torsen differential, Sport differential, Transmission technologies...............)

http://m.audi-technology-portal.com/...Wheels/ESP/ESP

http://m.audi-technology-portal.com/en/atp

Last edited by spijun; 12-08-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
This is what I have been desperately trying to do! Too bad TC will have none of it!

Quick Reply: Q5 Traction Control