Notices

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
JBDinTX
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 168544

Default Different lug nuts???

Got my winter wheels and tires in yesterday. Going to do a test fit for the wheels today. When is spoke with Hartman they said I needed different lugs for their wheels. I ordered off eBay. Will I need different lugs???
JBDinTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
JaXeN
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 24811

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDinTX View Post
Got my winter wheels and tires in yesterday. Going to do a test fit for the wheels today. When is spoke with Hartman they said I needed different lugs for their wheels. I ordered off eBay. Will I need different lugs???
Assuming your winter wheels are not the OE SQ5 winters, I will say that you will need new lugs.
JaXeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Parsec
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 226959

In general if it's not OE then you will most likely need new lugs. My aftermarket winter wheels came with different lugs too.

This is actually a common problem which many people do not realize and can result in a wheel coming loose and flying off. Happened to my sister many years ago while she was driving, but luckily it was just at the end of our street and my dad walked down to jack up the car and re-tighten the lugs.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Reggie
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 102

Or the lug bolts can be too long and hit and hurt the hub
Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
JBDinTX
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 168544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
In general if it's not OE then you will most likely need new lugs. My aftermarket winter wheels came with different lugs too.

This is actually a common problem which many people do not realize and can result in a wheel coming loose and flying off. Happened to my sister many years ago while she was driving, but luckily it was just at the end of our street and my dad walked down to jack up the car and re-tighten the lugs.
Oh great!!!! Way to boost my confidence in putting on my first set of winter wheels and tires. Lol. So what you guys are saying if I get the correct lugs nuts I should not have a issue?? I called Hartmann wheel and wanted to purchase a set of wheels from them but they were sold out and the only wheels they had required spacers. I wanted a wheel that would just bolt right up so that is why I went with a replica wheel on eBay. I called the seller out of California and they put me in contact with www.otisincla.com for the lug nuts. Waiting on a call back from them.
JBDinTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
skl1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 3496

With aftermarket wheels, most are tapered whereas OEM are conical. Definitely don't want to mis-match those. Whenever I've gotten winter tire and wheel sets from Tire Rack etc they always came with appropriate lug bolts.

Torque wouldn't matter- you need to match lug bolt to wheel !!
1971 914
1973 914 2.0
2009 GLI
skl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
gk1
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 14154

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl1 View Post
With aftermarket wheels, most are tapered whereas OEM are conical. Definitely don't want to mis-match those. Whenever I've gotten winter tire and wheel sets from Tire Rack etc they always came with appropriate lug bolts.

Torque wouldn't matter- you need to match lug bolt to wheel !!
Audi OE is ball seat many aftermarket are cone seat.
Click the image to open in full size.

2012 S4 S-Tronic Monsoon Gray
Black Alcantara®, Carbon, Adv.Key, B&O, Sport Diff, NAV, 19's
Eurocode Alu Kreuz, APR Stage II, aFe Pro Dry S, Apikol rear diff mount

2014 SQ5 Glacier White
Black Nappa, Carbon, B&O, NAV, 21's

Past:
2008 A6 3.2Q S-Line Daytona Gray
2007 A4 2.0T S-Line Ice Silver
2001 S4 Nogaro Blue
gk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Parsec
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 226959

Great information guys. I'm really glad JBD spoke with Hartmann before purchasing from eBay otherwise he might've lost a wheel and slid off a mountain in Colorado! Well, maybe not since he'd need to put some serious mileage without checking whether the lug became loose or not, but still a small chance. Very scary just thinking about it.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
larryV
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 34

To complicate things, I was initially told by Hartmann that SQ5 21" factory wheels use M14x1.5 ball seat R14 (ball seat radius is 14mm) lug bolts while all other Audis including regular Q5 use M14x1.5 ball seat R13 (13mm radius). I actually got conflicting info from Hartmann during a second phone call with a different rep, who told me that all Q5 including SQ5 use R14 while all other Audis use R13, but because they are all ball seat, the 1mm ball seat radius difference was negligible and I should be able to place sufficient torque and put them in service without doing damage to the wheel or fastener. Unconvinced, I called my dealer service advisor who the told me "all factory Audi wheels use the same ball seat lug bolts". LOL. I don't know who to believe.

I ended up just re-using the bolts that came from the factory for my 21" SQ5 wheels with the oem peelers (not replicas) that came off Mark P's TDI S-line. Still not sure if they're the right bolts or not, but I have checked the torque daily for the first week of driving and so far so good.
former Audis: 99 A4 1.8T, 01 S4, 07 RS4, 10 Q5 S-line

RIP awot
larryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
MP4.2+6.0
Account #: 26081

Default Gotta say, these recent experiences don't seem like their finer moments...

This stuff is not rocket science, and a supplier really ought to know the (right) answers and have consistent information. I've bought my various H&R spacers from their Achtuning affiliate, so respect the business, and they do have some good replicas of the Audi designs. I suspect they may be confusing Q7 stuff and Q5's/SQ5's as well, but of course it is the Q7 that is the relative all oddity of all Audis wheel wise.

More generally, I hope the aftermarket guys start getting behind the Q5 more, in all its flavors, as a primary source of business (with related expertise) since it has passed the A4 sales wise.
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt)
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

MP4.2+6.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement