Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Static noise from audio system

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static noise from audio system

After driving the car for a year, this is the 3rd time and i finally found the root cause. I was getting extremely loud static noise from the audio system (base, non bose). It was very loud as if someone threw a rock at you. The noise from the subwoofer shook the car. It was so quick when it happened and i dont even know what hit me. Today i finally identified the issue because i was playing music from my sdcard and that the system was not be able to read the card (saw this on instrument cluster) when it happened. Seems to be short circuit to me. I am suspecting the LED bulb i installed in my trunk .. I have a fault code that says luggage compartment light open or short to ground...dang..
Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
After driving the car for a year, this is the 3rd time and i finally found the root cause. I was getting extremely loud static noise from the audio system (base, non bose). It was very loud as if someone threw a rock at you. The noise from the subwoofer shook the car. It was so quick when it happened and i dont even know what hit me. Today i finally identified the issue because i was playing music from my sdcard and that the system was not be able to read the card (saw this on instrument cluster) when it happened. Seems to be short circuit to me. I am suspecting the LED bulb i installed in my trunk .. I have a fault code that says luggage compartment light open or short to ground...dang..
I have had the same thing happen to me a number of times. With just the radio. Its is like someone tossed a big rock at the back of the car. I know when its going to happen because the sound goes out for a couple of seconds then BOOM just like a very loud short. I have even shut off the radio and also muted the radio nothing stops it when it is going to happen. I have talked to my service guy and he says its a known issue that Audi is working on. As far as I know they have not figured it out yet, however I have not talked to him in a while. If you don't know its coming it can startle the crap out of you. In fact it happened today, I need to call to see if a fix has been found yet. It happens to me once or twice a month or so.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by denvig
I have had the same thing happen to me a number of times. With just the radio. Its is like someone tossed a big rock at the back of the car. I know when its going to happen because the sound goes out for a couple of seconds then BOOM just like a very loud short. I have even shut off the radio and also muted the radio nothing stops it when it is going to happen. I have talked to my service guy and he says its a known issue that Audi is working on. As far as I know they have not figured it out yet, however I have not talked to him in a while. If you don't know its coming it can startle the crap out of you. In fact it happened today, I need to call to see if a fix has been found yet. It happens to me once or twice a month or so.
Hey..thanks for your info. At least i am not alone. It really scare the &$@$ outta me. I will talk to my service manager to see what they have to say. Btw, do you have a non bose system?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Hey..thanks for your info. At least i am not alone. It really scare the &$@$ outta me. I will talk to my service manager to see what they have to say. Btw, do you have a non bose system?
Yes I have the base radio. And the first time it happened to me I jumped out of my skin. I thought I ran over a tire or something and it kicked up and hit the bottom of the car or something fell on the trunk. I pulled over and looked all over the car expecting to find some major damage. When I talked to the service guy I didn't even have to explain the whole thing he knew just what I was talking about. Let me know what you find out.