Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Jim4802
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 243370
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default need help asap. Timing belt job

Hello, I'm 12 hours into my first timing belt job late on a Saturday night. 1998 A4 1.8L engine AEB. I just did the water pump and Therm and I'm putting the WP/PS belt back together and the new belt is very loose? So is the old belt and I can't figure out why. The site i'm following to do the job said it should be tight but mine has a good inch or two of play in it? the old and new belts are the same size and i don't recall when taking it apart how loose the old belt was?? any advise??
Jim4802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Huskerbob
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 219486
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
Hello, I'm 12 hours into my first timing belt job late on a Saturday night. 1998 A4 1.8L engine AEB. I just did the water pump and Therm and I'm putting the WP/PS belt back together and the new belt is very loose? So is the old belt and I can't figure out why. The site i'm following to do the job said it should be tight but mine has a good inch or two of play in it? the old and new belts are the same size and i don't recall when taking it apart how loose the old belt was?? any advise??
Are you talking about the 11 x 528 belt? The shortest one of the 3.
__________________
2001 A6 Quattro Avant 2.8l (sold)
2000 A4 Quattro Avant 1.8l t auto
2003 Eddie Bauer Exploder 4.0 4x4
Huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Jim4802
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 243370
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
Hello, I'm 12 hours into my first timing belt job late on a Saturday night. 1998 A4 1.8L engine AEB. I just did the water pump and Therm and I'm putting the WP/PS belt back together and the new belt is very loose? So is the old belt and I can't figure out why. The site i'm following to do the job said it should be tight but mine has a good inch or two of play in it? the old and new belts are the same size and i don't recall when taking it apart how loose the old belt was?? any advise??
Yes, Thats the size I have but it seems very loose. seems I could almost pull it off. I could text you some pics if your familar with how tight they should be?
Jim4802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Huskerbob
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 219486
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
Yes, Thats the size I have but it seems very loose. seems I could almost pull it off. I could text you some pics if your familar with how tight they should be?
I just checked mine and it's fairly tight. I just put it on a few weks ago. I'm going to go take another look and see what I see. I'll be back shortly.

You did have to loosen the PS pump to get the old belt off right?

If not let it loose and then use a short lever to pull it tight.

Three bolts I believe. Probably 2 or 3 different heads too
__________________
2001 A6 Quattro Avant 2.8l (sold)
2000 A4 Quattro Avant 1.8l t auto
2003 Eddie Bauer Exploder 4.0 4x4

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Jim4802
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 243370
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbob View Post
I just checked mine and it's fairly tight. I just put it on a few weks ago. I'm going to go take another look and see what I see. I'll be back shortly.

You did have to loosen the PS pump to get the old belt off right?

If not let it loose and then use a short lever to pull it tight.

Three bolts I believe. Probably 2 or 3 different heads too
I did not lossen the PS pump. I removed the front of the WP pully that splits in half with 3 6mm bolts. I dont see where the PS is adjustable? i have the front off the car and can see everything pretty clearly.
Jim4802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Huskerbob
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 219486
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
I did not lossen the PS pump. I removed the front of the WP pully that splits in half with 3 6mm bolts. I dont see where the PS is adjustable? i have the front off the car and can see everything pretty clearly.
On mine there are 2 bolts on the top and one sort of behind. I had to loosen all 3. I do not recall splitting the WP pulley.

Just took another look and the 3rd bolt is behind the pulley. 2 on the top pivot points.
__________________
2001 A6 Quattro Avant 2.8l (sold)
2000 A4 Quattro Avant 1.8l t auto
2003 Eddie Bauer Exploder 4.0 4x4

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-14-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Jim4802
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 243370
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbob View Post
On mine there are 2 bolts on the top and one sort of behind. I had to loosen all 3. I do not recall splitting the WP pulley.

Just took another look and the 3rd bolt is behind the pulley. 2 on the top pivot points.
Is your motor the 1.8L AEB?? i just cant see where the PS pump is adjustable? I see all the bolts clearly, but nothing to see how to make the belt tighter? I'll look around on the web some more. Please let me know your engine. much appreciated
Jim4802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Huskerbob
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 219486
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
Is your motor the 1.8L AEB?? i just cant see where the PS pump is adjustable? I see all the bolts clearly, but nothing to see how to make the belt tighter? I'll look around on the web some more. Please let me know your engine. much appreciated
Mine is an ATW. Can you snap a photo?
__________________
2001 A6 Quattro Avant 2.8l (sold)
2000 A4 Quattro Avant 1.8l t auto
2003 Eddie Bauer Exploder 4.0 4x4
Huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Jim4802
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 243370
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbob View Post
Mine is an ATW. Can you snap a photo?
the belt and the bolts holding the PS pump. The brace in the bottom is not adjustable. can u see the slack in that belt? I'm just not sure. Hope I can attach pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photoCAUE15DF.JPG (127.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg photoCAO2C9R8.JPG (101.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg photoCASYJ5A7.JPG (131.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg photoCAYTXI21.JPG (125.9 KB, 27 views)
Jim4802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
Huskerbob
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 219486
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
the belt and the bolts holding the PS pump. The brace in the bottom is not adjustable. can u see the slack in that belt? I'm just not sure. Hope I can attach pics
I see your answer over at audiforums.com evidently there is a spacer on one of the pulleys that if removed will draw that belt up tight. Good luck.
__________________
2001 A6 Quattro Avant 2.8l (sold)
2000 A4 Quattro Avant 1.8l t auto
2003 Eddie Bauer Exploder 4.0 4x4
Huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
audiworld, belt, loose, timing


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts