A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you fit S-Line Flat Bottom Steering Wheel to D3 model A8

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you fit S-Line Flat Bottom Steering Wheel to D3 model A8

Hi Guys,

Car: A8 2003 D3

Already done so need info after the fact as usual!!! Damn

Didn't go in blind but was not informed incorrectly I guess. Any way have got the S-Line Flat Bottom Wheel series 8J0 I believe with corresponding airbag.
Was informed that with custom harness it would be plug and play, don't recall any mention of slip ring needing replacement or controller or recoding.

Thought this was good enough and went ahead and purchased one. Knew he would provide a modified harness but it is not wired right and it appears he just bodged it. Don't want to go further with him as I feel he's not going to do it right next time either from the looks of the harness he provided.

Have had info from another audi wrecker/retailer/parts sales mob that he would be able to provide a suitable custom harness to fix but before locking it in with him am hoping to find out if anyone has had success in putting on a 8K0/8J0 flat bottom wheel and airbag to a 4E0 A8 set up? He seemed quite confident he could do it but didnt give indication if he had previous confirmation of success.

Harness success? Plug and Play? coding? etc.....

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I think someone - not in the US - did this recently, I'll try to find it... He refinished the wheel but I'm not certain it was the same one as you have.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I was mistaken, here's the thread. But it might give you some info. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

http://www.hazzydayz.com

These guys appear to have the flat bottom wheel retrofit in their D3 (4E) section.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cheers so far boys, heres the type of wheel I bought less paddles which I have being an A8.

Tried sending a message to the site recommended and asked if he can provide a harness??

See what happens. He has the S-Line FBMFSW listed under D3 A8's so here's hoping it's doable?

If anyone has wired up a harness from a combination of old and new and found it to work would love to know of results, and others too I'm sure.

Keep em coming boys, Ta.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
I think someone - not in the US - did this recently, I'll try to find it... He refinished the wheel but I'm not certain it was the same one as you have.
Nah, that's the 05+ trapezoid. I have 03 round and purchased S-Line FBMFSW round from 8J0 model car. TT/S3 type, the common one on ebay etc.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ZiggyV8
Cheers so far boys, heres the type of wheel I bought less paddles which I have being an A8.

Tried sending a message to the site recommended and asked if he can provide a harness??

See what happens. He has the S-Line FBMFSW listed under D3 A8's so here's hoping it's doable?

If anyone has wired up a harness from a combination of old and new and found it to work would love to know of results, and others too I'm sure.

Keep em coming boys, Ta.
http://www.hazzydayz.com/ has responded with positive outcome. Said he can, seems confident, lets see how it goes, keep you posted.

Cheers for the link!!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

SUCCESS, well nearly!

1. paddles work on 8J0 wheel even though they are premium aluminium ones for A8 (4E0 part). Connector is different from 8E0 to 4E0 but a bit of cutting out on the wheel itself where rubber interferes with plug fixes that.

2. horn works

3. paddles didn't light up at first. A day later - did, after much fiddling and poking of cable + finally did too about 3 days later.

4. havent cleared airbag light yet, should be a simple vag reset?

5. biggest PROBLEM. MMI is down atm so can't confirm function of wheel controls but so far am hopeful. Why?

The other harness provided to me was a dogs breakfast and nothing worked at all. The one provided by hazydayz(link below), though customed up, was far tidier,finished,prepped and looking the part. All attachments were there, other ones were even missing connectors??

Endstate: Yes you can fit a S3/TT s-line wheel, 99%

It is slightly thinner(a poofteenth) but looks heaps sharper. In my opinion for a A8 a RS wheel looks ****.

Add me as friend and I show you why!................

Project A8 Big time.
Tuned
Quad Exhaust
Rear valance
Front RS body kit
Bootlip spoiler
Update rear lights
New vavona trim
New Amaretto leather
New aluminium trim
New leather console,doors
New AMI, DTV (once MMI fixed)
New RS rims (not bought, TBC after all fitted if even really necessary?)

Why not just get a 2008? I'll finish all this and still have change left over! plus this '03 was in perfect condition!

2003 $30,000
2008 $50,000
S8 $75,000+

Parts inbound, keep ya posted

Going for a gentlemans racer, not a carbon fibre racer boy A4.

Working at it as we speak
Old 09-20-2013, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

what about swapping steering wheels on S8 model 2009 from 4-spoke into 3-spoke ? I assume shouldn't be any issues ? I mean if steering wheel is from the same car model and from the same year ?

from this:

into this

Last edited by gedis080; 09-20-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah would be fine, just check if the airbag is the same for both wheels, was for the 3/4 spoke round pre face lift. Haven't checked on post facelift. Nearly bought a trapezoid to "update" my '03 but am a much bigger fan on the round shape so went the s-line look.

As you save around 30-40% on a wheel with no airbag. With mine obviously had to purchase new airbag. Just cause mine(old) was round doesn't matter, on pre facelift A8 round is much larger internally than post face lift round. Mine(new) was 06+ , so post face lift era to go with post fdace lift s-line wheel.

Quick Reply: Can you fit S-Line Flat Bottom Steering Wheel to D3 model A8