A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....

Hello all,
I was not going to post any finds or solutions on this forum again due to many opinionated people, but I think this is the one that many A8 owners should know.

Cheers,

Louis
The following users liked this post:
markolabud (04-05-2020)
Old 07-18-2013, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite amazing!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vicl
Quite amazing!!!!
Thanks for posting that, good info to have.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great find! Wonder what specific spring would work.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Brilliant!!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Ingenious solution I'll give you that. How is it holding up? Still working?

Did you have any luck messing with the motor and clutch mechanism?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I see potential for a new ebay product!!! I WANT THAT SPRING!
My thought was get a stronger gas strut but distributor said nothing available?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NICE !!!!!

Louis,
You are the man !!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's still working well

When we don't understand something, people are trying to sell you everything. Shocks.
If you notice when you have the problem, the motor only lift a corner of the whole trunk. Now, I bet, if I put a strong bar connecting between the rotating shaft and the rotating shaft of the other side, it will lift perfectly.

Paul Waterloo gave me his which is 176Nm motor, and mine has 163Nm motor, his sound louder than mine, but I took mine out, grease everything with Lithium base grease and it's smooth and quietly lift the trunk up.

Yes, if you have the new and improved higher torque "H" version, it will lift the trunk at the corner without any problems. It's the torque and the rigidity of the trunk. The trunk does flex, that's why it takes more torque to lift the whole trunk up.

Now, I have 2 old working ones, which are the same as everyone else. The spring is still in place and working. I haven't had time to design a robust solution. I asked a fixture vendor to order me a few of these high tension springs to try out.

I just found a dc motor 6500 RPM, extremely strong for $2.50 (engineering sample), exact size of the old motor and much faster and higher torque. I'll try this new motor, the problem is I have to cut the worm from the old and put on the new. I'm looking for the same worm gear so I don't have to.

Anyhow, don't listen to anyone about springs or anything, it's the torque and position of the trunk lid.

When I have a robust solution, I'll let you guys know. It's working as is and my wife just love to open the trunk from the door switch now.

So cool.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 07-18-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7

The trunk does flex, that's why it takes more torque to lift the whole trunk up.
This would be the case only if the lid is rubbing on something when flexed. But it is not, so torque is defined by its mass, center of gravity and acceleration. By the way, with the new motor it is flexing even more because greater acceleration gives greater force and torque.

Unfortunately lubricating is just a temporary solution. It won’t last long, most certainly not when it gets colder. Little spring doesn’t do much, if anything. New struts either because they are so positioned that they are doing almost nothing in the very beginning. Two springs Audi introduced at the end of the lid would help if they are stronger, but then it won’t close. All system is poorly designed. D4 has completely different design. It takes more space but it works.

Stronger motor would make a difference. You may find the worm gear here. I can’t say if that motor will work well with electronics there. It is quite a bit more complicated than two micro switches. From my experience it can be cheaper to buy the new actuator. Then again, it is a challenge.

Quick Reply: Weak Trunk Motor Can Be Fixed To Work Again....