Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Motion sensor trunk release

Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motion sensor trunk release

Greetings,
I have problems opening my boot with my foot. So far, after many tries, I only succeeded twice! I do kicking motion and also stepping on pedal motion. Whats wrong?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by walkman8833
Greetings,
I have problems opening my boot with my foot. So far, after many tries, I only succeeded twice! I do kicking motion and also stepping on pedal motion. Whats wrong?
When the first 2013 A6s were delivered exactly one year ago in the U.S., this feature was enabled in the first shipments (including mine). Problem was, not only did it work intermittently no matter what St. Vitus or hokey-pokey dance I tried, but the lid would often open on its own as I walked by the rear fender with the key in my pocket. When I complained, the service manager told me Audi was having problems with the design so put out a bulletin to disable it and that they had discontinued enabling it at the factory for all subsequent shipments. I'm assuming with a "boot", you are in the UK. What year do you have?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have the power boot option? I do and it works every time. I understand the US models only pop the trunk/boot, but don't actually open the "lid" like the Euro models with power boot do.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just receive my car last weekend. I'm in Malaysia and I do have the power boot, or trunk, option. I know it is there, but success rate of less than 10% of opening it with foot gesture is a real joke. I went to Ford show room and tried the Kuga, it works every time.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by walkman8833
I just receive my car last weekend. I'm in Malaysia and I do have the power boot, or trunk, option. I know it is there, but success rate of less than 10% of opening it with foot gesture is a real joke. I went to Ford show room and tried the Kuga, it works every time.
The Ford works so well because you can only open the driver's door 10% of the time. This way you're assured of being able to crawl through from the back.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Car and Driver tested the power trunk two years ago in Europe, and their comment was better leave that to German engineers to figure that out.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Car and Driver tested the power trunk two years ago in Europe, and their comment was better leave that to German engineers to figure that out.
Probably Audi will show this feature in Iron Man 4 movie...
Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Try swing your foot and let your tip of the shoe touch the button side of the car. I had it 98% of the time successful rate.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ya, now i manage to get in open most of the time. My foot need to kiss the butt and kick in a rhythmic swing. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Motion Sensing now enabled in U.S. models?

I have a 2014 TDI Prestige model that I took delivery on a few weeks ago. I smelt some kind of burning smell emanating from the rear passenger side wheel and I got down under the car to see if there was any kind of road debris stuck to the exhaust (there wasn't... thinking it might be a caliper problem). To my surprise, when I stood up, the trunk popped open.

I proceeded to wave my foot like a loon to try to replicate it (got it to open one more time).

When I got home, looked in the manual, and there it was on page 39 -- Luggage compartment with movement activated opening. They say to use a kick motion. I tried it a few times again and had a better hit rate. Wondering if anyone else sees this standard? It's a pleasant surprise, to be sure.

On another note -- any suggestions about the burning smell? This is the first time it happened. I've got about 450 miles on the car, and this was a 20 mile trip, mixed speeds (half highway, half city).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motion sensor trunk release