A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEDs Retrofit on 06 A8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default LEDs Retrofit on 06 A8L

Alright, I spent about $40 for bunch of LEDS 1156 - drl bulbs - 194 - T10 for interior - 2825 for parking light -

Now these are problems with my 06 A8L - I don't know about other years.

I designed a circuit that doesn't burn hot with high wattage low value Resistors - but fake the system to still turn on with LEDS -

--License plate LEDS - if you don't put resistors - it won't turn on LED light - period -
--Trunk lights - if you don't put resistors - it won't turn on lights - LEDS - 2825 - 194 - T10 bulbs
--Door lights - replaced with 2825-194- without any problem.
--Tomorrow or the weekend, I'm going to try my circuit with drl 1156 to see if it works - if it does, I think I'm going to file a patent - hehehe.

The circuit - sit as 2 ohm load when the power is not on - just like if a bulb is present - as soon as the power turns on - the circuit switch to higher impedance and draws very little current just like the bulb is burning with higher resistance -

- NO hot resistors burning @5W @10W @26 watts and ruin everything.

- License plate lights work - trunk lights work - The resistor circuit I can put my hand touching them - warm.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superbrightleds.com sells lights for CAN applications.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zedbyers
Superbrightleds.com sells lights for CAN applications.
The ones I have at the moment are by HSUN, they are advertised as 810 Lumens, which is double the 21w originals.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...746949907.html
$40 a pair, but these are by far the best I have tried, in that the light is very white and full spectrum like cars with OE LED DRLs. You can easily see them reflected on the back of the car in front, even in sunny weather. The overall look is just like the W12, if not better.

Mine get too hot to touch, about 85˚c when I measured them in the house. They still threw faulty bulb errors though, I then recoded for LED DRL in [09]. Now the sidelight and DRL both come on in the day, so I replaced the sidelight bulb for any old W5W LED.
I put a 5" peice of wire with solder-tinned ends between the red wire on the sidelight connector and the white wire on the DRL socket. Tinning the ends of the wire made it a tight fit in the crevice in the plug. Then I used a small cable tie to hold each end in place by tieing it to the wire it slips up the side of.

The DRL 21W was replaced with a superbright HSUN LED.
At night, they go dim so as not to dazzle other road users, just like the later models W12.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Snapdragon,
You seemed to try a lot with your car - which is great - Yes, the bulbs do look nice, but a little expensive for my taste. I ordered <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3NUHY2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1">these 1156</a> and <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OMG2UI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1">these 194</a>
I'll install them this weekend. My goal is to change the parking lights - and DRL with LEDs.
If these work with my circuit nicely without popping up with bulb our warning light - next, I'll design my DRL LED bars.
We should be able to use 1.5W LED bulbs and save energy.

BTW, at night, only Xenon and parking light should be on - fog if you turn it on - DRL should be off - I'm not going to mess around with VCDS.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The circuit works after a few design changes

I can hold my circuit without burning my fingers -

Tomorrow - the parking and drl

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-25-2013, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default $40 well spent - wife said - I love my LEDS

2006 A8L uses 2825 (or 194 or T10) bulbs for front parking light - and all trunk - doors lighting - buy package of 10 or 20 to save shipping. Don't spend money on CAN "BULL" LEDS - Warning lights out are dependent up on the circuit you use with the LEDS - All LEDS have high impedance and bulbs have low resistance - Got to trick the sensing system.

When DRL turned on by MMI - Ignition on - DRL lights come on - when parking light is on (or low beam HID) - DRL lights automatically turn off - Never both of them are on at the same time.

In the morning -

Then

then

Parking light in the day time

Parking light at night

DRL at night

LEDS all around

Went to dinner today - DRL on the right bulb warning flashes up once after 30 minutes driving - I'm experimenting the parts - difference between left and right is about 10 ohms - the right is a little marginal - I didn't calculate the resistance rises when the circuit is heated up. None bulb warning on the way back because DRL were off and parking LEDs were on - So parking bulbs designs are good!!!
I'll finalize everything after 1 week of testing.

Just love the way the LEDS display - the picture can't capture the real thing - bad camera.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 05-25-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LEDS are DONE!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking light upgrade question

I congratulate you on your detail and effort on your car, your interest is similar to that of my own. I just purchased my car in mid-April and have already ordered and installed my led lighting kit. I got mine from this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/171014589099...84.m1423.l2649 he carries a high quality product.

With these bulbs I have not had any bulb warning issues at all and I had no need to create capacitors for them. Just a bit of advice on the interior kit for any one, make sure the kit has the led's that are multi directional smd's and not the type that just point in one direction. This seller resolved that issue by supplementing the correct ones. And the kit did not include the four additional 36mm canbus needed for the rear vanities, so make sure to get those as well.

With your post I am looking forward to doing the upgrade to the DRL and parking lights. Do I need to remove the headlights for that? Have you resolved the issue with the bulb warning related to the DRL's.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default AGT is a good brand - I got them for all the 2825 - $39 is too much!!!

Yes, I found the problems with DRL warning bulbs - The circuit I built actually detects if the LED bulb is burnt and the warning bulb would come one - In order to get the circuit to act as a tunsteng element - when cold .6-3 ohms dependent upon the wattage - and resistance rises until the wattage is reached (I*I*R = Wattage).

One of the Cree bulb on 1 side turns off when hot- then turn back on when cool down- although 12 others were still one -

So, when the cree LED is off - warning light is on -

I've been using the system solidly for a few weeks now. No warning lights often - only if I drive over 1/2 an hour then that bulb cause a flicker warning light.

I'm waiting for the String LED for the fog light grill - then it will be done.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 06-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED strip lights

Please post pics of your concept when you do that mod. I look forward to seeing how that would look on the grills.

I am considering on going with the S6 DRL but only with a front bumper extension that I saw in a thread on this subject. Okkim is the name of the person that I saw with that mod, I really wish I knew what brand of bumper extension that was . Any info on that would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: LEDs Retrofit on 06 A8L