Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

steering jerkiness

Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default steering jerkiness

Hi,

I thought I had seen a steering related post but can't find it.
Has anyone had issues with the steering kind of 'jerking' around dead center? Mine seems to kind of 'jump' a little as it approaches straight ahead, and it does it if I wiggle the wheel slightly off center and let it go back. It happens in auto and comfort, but if I set it to 'individual' and set steering to 'comfort' mode, it does not seem to happen. It's a bit confusing to me that full=on comfort mode makes it happen, but individual with comfort steering does not.

In any case, I was wondering if there is any known solution to this. I had read 'steering all the way to the right, then all the way to the left' but that is not satisfying. I can keep driving in individual/comfort steering, but I don't like having this nagging feeling that something is broken behind the scenes.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2837770
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed this but only really when I have the lane assist on. Obviously if it's on and it thinks the car isn't tracking to the center of the lane (or too close to the side) it gives a gentle nudge to attempt to straighten it. I'll pay closer attention and see whether it does it when lane assist is off.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My S6 does this as well. I mentioned it during my first oil change at 1,500 km, but of course the dealer couldn't replicate the issue. I spoke to the service manager at a later date and he says that he's heard of this complaint from others as well. He's going on a training course this month and will ask if there's any response from Audi on the subject.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I've complained twice and both times they said the could not replicate and that every thing is in spec. I have scheduled a service rep drive along so I can showcase the problem. See what happens, but it's starting to aggravate me. Hopefully they can fix it as I really like the car, if not it's adios Audi.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Right now there seems to be no solution to the issue but the guys in Germany are getting really impatient with Audi already. And it doesn't seem to be Audi alone, BMW and other cars with electric steering show the sme symptoms. I'm sure Audi will do all it can to avoid a PR desaster like their "unintented accellaration" fiasco which was successfully copied by Toyota not too long ago.

I must say while I felt the jerky steering few times between 7000 and 8000 miles, it hasn't occured once over last 900 miles. So, some variations of the issue may resolve itself just like noisy brakes.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It still is happening with me. I noticed this start when the temps starting dropping in my area. So I don't know nor do I think it is temp related.

There was a post out there that said resetting the steering could cure this. You turn the wheel all the way to the left than all the way to the right. While it worked the first time I tried it, it did not work today when I tried it. So not sure if that is the right cure.

I really wish Audi would figure it out as my dealer has not been able to replicate this of course and everything is acting in accordance is what I am told.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I received a call from my service manager yesterday. As previously reported, Audi is aware of the problem and is working on a solution. What that solution might be and when it might be ready is not currently known. I guess we just need to be patient and expect that a fix will be rolled out at some point.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen during the recent heavy wind and rain/snow storm here in New England and the car was all over the road. After an hour of driving I had arm pump and it felt like I just finished a Super-cross race. I think it's a safety issue now, if I can't keep the car in it's lane wiggling the wheel back and forth than something is ef'n wrong.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BugeyeRX
I had this happen during the recent heavy wind and rain/snow storm here in New England and the car was all over the road. After an hour of driving I had arm pump and it felt like I just finished a Super-cross race. I think it's a safety issue now, if I can't keep the car in it's lane wiggling the wheel back and forth than something is ef'n wrong.
+1. I drove twice since my last post on this thread. Both times the wheel was jerking. I did that trick I mentioned below (turn the wheel all the way to the left, than all the way to the right.....don't forget to recenter when complete so you drive straight) It worked these two times. Maybe the time it didn't work I didn't go all the way to one side. Basically put I am going to just do the reset everytime I turn the car on, until I know of a fix.

I will talk to my service guys Thursday and ask what they might know as well as it is not only unsafe, but so annoying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steering jerkiness