Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Speaker size and Bose wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker size and Bose wiring

I am considering upgrading the Bose sound system in the 2009 Q7. Was wondering if any of you would be able to tell me the speaker sizes for front and rear. Also are there any speakers in the dash or is it just doors up front?

Also, would you happen to have the wiring diagram at the bose amp?? Would like to use the factory speaker cable, but cable it into an aftermarket amp.

Thanks
Neil
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by neilsakaitis
I am considering upgrading the Bose sound system in the 2009 Q7. Was wondering if any of you would be able to tell me the speaker sizes for front and rear. Also are there any speakers in the dash or is it just doors up front?

Also, would you happen to have the wiring diagram at the bose amp?? Would like to use the factory speaker cable, but cable it into an aftermarket amp.

Thanks
Neil
Does this help you out?
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/S...tcm6-68488.pdf
Old 01-22-2013, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

WOW, thanks so much, I have been looking for something like this for ages. At least this helps me out with speaker sizing. I still need to figure out the factory wiring for the speakers, as I will probably just cable the output of a more powerful amp straight into the factory speaker harness.

Other option I might consider is just maintaining the Bose setup, complete with the AudioPilot and EQ function, and just convert the sub signal to RCA, and add a sub and small amp to re-inforce the low end. I remember seeing someone on this forum do that.

Thanks so much for your time !!

Originally Posted by weth
Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

WOW, thanks so much, I have been looking for something like this for ages. At least this helps me out with speaker sizing. I still need to figure out the factory wiring for the speakers, as I will probably just cable the output of a more powerful amp straight into the factory speaker harness.

Other option I might consider is just maintaining the Bose setup, complete with the AudioPilot and EQ function, and just convert the sub signal to RCA, and add a sub and small amp to re-inforce the low end. I remember seeing someone on this forum do that.

Thanks so much for your time !!
This may help see attached
Sorry it was scanned upside down
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
q7_bose.pdf (166.8 KB, 3276 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for taking the time to scan this very hard to find document for me!!! Just looking at that setup tells me that this is not your typical Bose system you find in an Infiniti (currently driving an FX). With that many amplifier channels and speakers, that setup must sound pretty decent. Worst case, one could simply upgrade the speakers to higher end ones I guess. But just looking at the complexity of the system, I think I might just do what someone else did on here, add an AudioControl LC-2 interface to convert the bass signal going to the Bose sub, and add a more powerful external amp and sub and call it a day.

Thanks for your time, appreciate it !!

Originally Posted by arp2nr
This may help see attached
Sorry it was scanned upside down
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to clarify the point of me driving an FX, I am picking up my cousin's 2009 Q7 in March, and will be trading in my old 2004 FX45. I ripped out the Infiniti Bose system in the FX, and am running Boston Acoustics in the dash, some older A/D/S seperates in the doors, and a 10" Infinity sub in a custom fiberglass enclosure out back, all run off of an Alpine amp. I used a PAC audio interface from the radio to convert the factory connectors to RCA to go to said amp.

So with a setup like that, I wanted to be sure I had something that sounded equally good when moving over to the Q7. But at the same time, there are more BOSE amp channels and speakers in the Q7 than there was in my FX, so I am hopeful that the stock system will sound better, and with a little help on the low end, I can leave things in tact.

Thanks again !!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Speaker Size / Wiring Color Codes for Audio system

I might need another system wiring schematic. Turns out the Q7 I am picking up from my cousin does not have the Bose system. I will probably confirm with my own eyes, but I asked him to check the doors and dash and look for the Bose logo, and he said he did not see any. So I am guessing it is a basic speaker setup powered by the radio, in which case I will definitely change out the system. In that case, I would imagine using factory speaker wires will be more complicated, because instead of having it centralized in a harness in back, it will be in front with the radio.

Either way, hoping you might have the wiring color codes for the speaker wire harness on the base audio system. And perhaps the speaker size and layout of the basic system.

Thanks
Neil
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK guys, thanks for all of your feedback and help. In order to help the next guy who wants to mod or improve their Q7 sound system, I thought I would update my thread.

According to the service manuals I read, most Q7's will probably have some form of Bose amp in the rear. According to the Audi Service Training documents, there are 3 system setups. MMI Basic (monochrome screen) uses J323 4X20w in the dash. Then all the rest (MMI Basic+, MMI High, etc), uses the Bose amp in back. The "DSP sound system" option uses a Bose 8 channel version for 11 speakers, and the "Bose sound system" option uses a 10 channel version for 14 speakers. The difference between these last 2, besides the 2 extra Bose channels, is the addition of a sub and 3rd row pair of midrange speakers in the ceiling.

So, having said all that, if one wanted to upgrade their system, you would have to do 2 things. After accessing the Bose amp, you would need to add a preamp interface (like the LC2 or LC6 from Audio Control), and tap that onto the input wires on the Bose amp (coming from the head unit). Then simply cut the speaker wires going out of the Bose amp, and with a multi-conductor speaker wire, tap your aftermarket external power amp outputs onto the factory speaker wiring.

I have been searching many forums, and finally understand that no matter what flavor of Bose amp you have back there, it is called a J525 (digital control unit), and uses the same 32 pinout, no matter what car you have. They just use more or less pins depending on the speaker configuration.

Please keep in mind that I found these references from different car models (TT, A6, etc), it is essentially the same amp but with varying speaker setups. This should be good enough though to find the right wires for our Q7 setup.

32 pin connector (T32a), black, J525.

INPUT STAGE of J525 - speaker/color/pin location
LF+ Blue (T32a/27)
LR+ Green (T32a/25)
RF+ Yellow (T32a/32)
RR+ Red (T32a/30)
the grounds are common, split to 4 inputs before the amp. They are all brown
T32a/24 (L/Rear)
T32a/26 (L/Front)
T32a/29 (R/Rear)
T32a/31 (R/Front)

J525 to the speakers:
Front:
- T32a/3 brown/red (L/Midrange)
+ T32a/4 Red
- T32a/3 brown (L/tweeter)
+ T32a/4 Red
- T32a/20 brown/green (center)
+ T32a/21 red/green
- T32a/15 brown/green (R/mid)
+ T32a/16 red/green
Rear:
- T32a/6 brown/green (L/Mid)
+ T32a/7 red/green
- T32a/6 brown (tweeter, jumped from mid @ speaker)
+ T32a/7 red
- T32a/18 brown/white (R/Mid)
+ T32a/19 blue/white
- T32a/18 brown (tweeter, jumped same as left side)
+ T32a/19 blue
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Before I get into trouble with the wiring, please just use and reference the document below titled Q7 Bose pdf. I am guessing that the color codes in that doc will be more accurate than what I provided below, which are setups for other Audi models.

The point I wanted to get across in my post is that once you access that Bose module back there, you can use any one of these references to find the color codes for the factory speakers, to be able to add an external amp. Since I have not played around back there, I don't know how easy it is to access the wires, but when I do, I will most certainly take pictures and document the whole sound system upgrade.

Thanks
Neil
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Before I get into trouble with the wiring, please just use and reference the document below titled Q7 Bose pdf. I am guessing that the color codes in that doc will be more accurate than what I provided below, which are setups for other Audi models.

The point I wanted to get across in my post is that once you access that Bose module back there, you can use any one of these references to find the color codes for the factory speakers, to be able to add an external amp. Since I have not played around back there, I don't know how easy it is to access the wires, but when I do, I will most certainly take pictures and document the whole sound system upgrade.

Thanks
Neil
Hi, although it is very old post, but trying my luck, well i think i have blown away the speakers in dashbord of my audi Q 7, my mechanic installed Alpine Amp F450 for me, but still there was mo bass(boston speakers placed in doors), so i played with boost on the back of alpine amp, and then started to hear cracking sound from dash... what speakers are there in dash? by the way i have active sub as well.
Attached Thumbnails Speaker size and Bose wiring-amp-1.jpg   Speaker size and Bose wiring-amp-2.jpg   Speaker size and Bose wiring-woofer-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Speaker size and Bose wiring