Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluetooth Audio
- Any source device that supports Bluetooth audio
Pandora, Spotify, etc. - note with Apple IOS 6, track info is no longer supported; controlling tracks on MMI screen still works (IOS 6 switched to supporting only Bluetooth profile v1.4 and Audi uses v1.3)

FWIW, I test drove a new 2013 A8L in the past week or so. Having had the sad experience previously of not being able to see track information, I was surprised and elated to see full track information on the MMI screen. This worked in Spotify and Pandora. The sales associate was equally surprised. It seems that there may have been an update in the Audi MMI.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sbdan
Bluetooth Audio
FWIW, I test drove a new 2013 A8L in the past week or so. Having had the sad experience previously of not being able to see track information, I was surprised and elated to see full track information on the MMI screen. This worked in Spotify and Pandora. The sales associate was equally surprised. It seems that there may have been an update in the Audi MMI.
Hmm. I wonder what the MMI software version was in the A8 you test drove. Not sure if an A8 will have the same version numbers as the C7s but any chance you can call the salesperson and ask him to check that car's system version? Might provide a clue.

It would be great if anyone who recently purchased a 2013 C7 or upgraded their C7 MMI software, say since Jan 1, could let us know if they have tried their phone Bluetooth Audio w/Spotify, Pandora, etc. and report if it will display song info on the MMI screen. Also, the MMI system version number.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just checked the my version and could not find 0467 anywhere. My car is a 2013 S4, and it was made in November of 2012, is it safe to say I have a version that will support album art work from my ipod touch if I buy this cable?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jnoone
I just checked the my version and could not find 0467 anywhere. My car is a 2013 S4, and it was made in November of 2012, is it safe to say I have a version that will support album art work from my ipod touch if I buy this cable?

Thanks
I replied to your PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a little experiment and I believe the MMI does NOT re-encode mp3 files when you import them to the jukebox.

Here's what I did.

I have 423 songs on my computer in Flac lossless and I encoded them to mp3 using lame -V2. Average bitrate 205 kbps. Total size 2,915 mb.

I put the songs on an SD card and imported them to the jukebox. It was fairly quick so that was one clue that they were not being re-encoded.

After the import, the jukebox memory showed:

Number of tracks: 14% 2577 free
Memory capacity: 16% 15285 MB free

So 3000 - 2577 = 423 songs that I just imported
And 15285 / (1-0.16) * 0.16 = 2911 mb which is close enough to the 2915 mb original file size because the 16% was rounded off.

Sidenote: Honestly, lame -V2 mp3s are already regarded as near-transparent. Definitely transparent in a car. I use mp3 because it is compatible with everything, so it saves me from re-encoding my music for a device just because it supports a new format. I feel that a new format like AAC will not get me better sound quality, because I'm already near-transparent, but AAC has better compression to save space. Which is not important to me because my library is not that big, and all my devices have space to spare.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I must be the only person using these forums who doesn't have an Ipod or any Apple products.

I have a 2013 A6 on order and was wondering what options there are for connecting a non-Apple product to the MMI. I have a Cowon J3 player which I like cause it plays Flac files. It has available a USB cable, an AV out cable (USB at one end and L/R/V jacks at other) and bluetooth (headset, A2DP/AVRCP) ability. I also store music on a mini-SDHC card that will slot into the J3 but I believe the Audi requires s standard size SDHC card so I can't use it for both. The A6 wouldn't handle the Flac anyways.

What are my options (if any) to connect this player to the Audi A6 MMI?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A USB input is an option that will replace the iPod cable.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TheNit
I must be the only person using these forums who doesn't have an Ipod or any Apple products.

I have a 2013 A6 on order and was wondering what options there are for connecting a non-Apple product to the MMI. I have a Cowon J3 player which I like cause it plays Flac files. It has available a USB cable, an AV out cable (USB at one end and L/R/V jacks at other) and bluetooth (headset, A2DP/AVRCP) ability. I also store music on a mini-SDHC card that will slot into the J3 but I believe the Audi requires s standard size SDHC card so I can't use it for both. The A6 wouldn't handle the Flac anyways.

What are my options (if any) to connect this player to the Audi A6 MMI?
Bluetooth will take just a few seconds to set up, and should offer you the ability to control tracks (next/back) from the controls adjacent to the car volume control without having to touch the player. You may also see track information on the MMI screen.

I have an iPod and the MMI cable, but prefer the bluetooth setup most of the time unless I'm on a longer trip and will be navigating a lot of playlists, the missed album art aside.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
A USB input is an option that will replace the iPod cable.
Not with the FLAC files though - not supported by the MMI.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not with the FLAC files though - not supported by the MMI.
Fair point. What if the device could stream the unencoded .wav equivalent. Could MMI play that back?

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized