Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Steering jerking when turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering jerking when turning

Not sure if this is due to the cold weather. My 2013 A6 has developed "jerking" feeling on the steering when turning while the car is in motion. The jerk will go away after the car has warmed up. I tried different drive mode, comfort, auto, dynamic... it is most noticeable in auto mode. Checked front air pressure and they are within range. Anyone??
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue, they says it's a modulator and I have to bring it back for a replacement.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BugeyeRX
I have the same issue, they says it's a modulator and I have to bring it back for a replacement.
ok.. at least i'm not alone. Guess i will wait until my 5k service to get it fixed.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

there is also a update for the steering control unit on some models,
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi01a6
there is also a update for the steering control unit on some models,
Do you have more detail?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The steering module update that was just done on my car was to correct an erroneous steering warning light some owners were experiencing when the car was first started. Probably a sensor recalibration. No biggie and I never had the problem to begin with.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The steering module update that was just done on my car was to correct an erroneous steering warning light some owners were experiencing when the car was first started. Probably a sensor recalibration. No biggie and I never had the problem to begin with.
Thanks for the info! I tried inflating the front tires to 38 PSI and rear to 41 PSI and it seems like the issue is gone! I know the pressure seems a little high and it is meant for full load of 5 adult passengers but I prefer to have higher pressure. let's hope it stays this way!

Happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this will hijack the thread, but I feel like I have the same problem but not in the turns. It is going in a straight line. Kind of hard to explain, but when I am keeping the wheel straight, there seems to be something preventing me from holding it straight. Almost like the wheel is hitting some groove and I have the keep the wheel a couple degress off center. Does this sound similar to what you were experiencing fEArmE?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
I don't know if this will hijack the thread, but I feel like I have the same problem but not in the turns. It is going in a straight line. Kind of hard to explain, but when I am keeping the wheel straight, there seems to be something preventing me from holding it straight. Almost like the wheel is hitting some groove and I have the keep the wheel a couple degress off center. Does this sound similar to what you were experiencing fEArmE?
I have just noticed the same. It's more obvious when the steering is in sport mode, less in comfort mode. I will keep watching it but I never noticed this over the first 5000 miles.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Nope.. That is not what I'm experiencing.. Mine is like...going on a stright line at low spped (30-40mph), then turning the steering wheel is not smooth... Kinda like you need more effort in one second and not the next second...that is how i described it as jerking

Quick Reply: Steering jerking when turning