S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Odd 'notch' at dead center in steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd 'notch' at dead center in steering

Hi all,

I just noticed today in my 2010 S4 that at speeds above 75 mph I can feel an odd "notch" in the center of the steering. It is as though when passing through dead center the resistance in the steering "gives way" for a split second, that is if I am turning left-to-right the steering wheel will yield toward the right just a hair as it passes dead center as if there is a dead-zone in the steering. Has anybody else noticed such an effect? It seemed especially odd because at 70 mph it does not happen (or is entirely imperceptible) and the steering effort is completely continuous through the centerline, while at 80 mph it is noticeable. I couldn't tell whether it depended on how fast I turned the wheel. It also seemed to appear precisely and repeatably above 75 mph (coincidentally almost exactly 120 kph), which made me suspect it could be something with the servotronic system, though I suppose mechanical issues could suddenly appear as wheelspeed increases. I don't know if it disappears again at even higher speeds, as I didn't test that.

It isn't particularly disturbing because nothing feels unstable or dangerous, but I'd never noticed it before (about 25k miles on the car), so I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this or if something could potentially need checking. I'll be taking the car in for the 25k service soon anyway, but would hate to accidentally start a wild goose chase. For extra information, I had the oem tires replaced at 20k with michelins and the alignment was corrected then as well.

Thanks,
Hunter
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was wondering if anyone was having this issue. I have the same issue. I started noticing it a week or so a go, but it is very sporadic. (I have a 2013.) Mine usually occurs around 65 MPH. It doesn't do it every time, but every 3-4 times I drive it. It's only mildly annoying like you said, but it is noticeable. Let me know what the dealer says, I'm nearing my 5,000 mile service myself.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've also noticed the same thing with my 2013. It seems to happen somewhat infrequently and only at highway speed.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After paying a little closer attention today I think it's from the pattern of the road surface interacting with the tread of the tires. I found it changed and went away as I went from asphalt to concrete and across different textures of concrete.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
After paying a little closer attention today I think it's from the pattern of the road surface interacting with the tread of the tires. I found it changed and went away as I went from asphalt to concrete and across different textures of concrete.
I'm hit and miss on this theory. I've noticed the same thing at times, but then I've noticed it still doing over bridges and such. Did yours come with the Pirelli tires?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by slasher016
I'm hit and miss on this theory. I've noticed the same thing at times, but then I've noticed it still doing over bridges and such. Did yours come with the Pirelli tires?
I'm also hit and miss on it. My car came with Pirelli tires, but I've experienced the same thing with the Michelin winter tires on it now also. The phenomenon seems to come and go.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a '13 with about 1,200 miles on it. Yesterday, I drove from Mass to NJ and near the end of the drive, I noticed this also. I didn't notice it today (I drove locally within NJ about 30 miles). I will be driving back to Mass tomorrow, and will see if it occurs at any point. I did have winter tires put on yesterday (before I left for the drive to NJ), and I did wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm nearing my 5,000 mile first service so I will ask them about it when I take it in. Hopefully they're aware of it and have an easy fix. It almost has to be due to the new electronic assisted steering.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

On my drive back from NJ to Mass today, I didn't feel it at all. Odd...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

OP has a 2010 with the old steering mech. You guys have the new electric steering. Thought I'd mention that for clarity.

Quick Reply: Odd 'notch' at dead center in steering