A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable TPMS System Success!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Disable TPMS System Success!

I went under coding and changed the "3" in the code to a "0" to disable the system. The alert went away immediately. I successfully disabled the TPMS altogether! No warning alerts etc whatsoever on the dash or even in the MMI. You can still go to the TPMS menu under the MMI but the "change wheels" and "store pressures" are greyed out and the view tire pressures button option doesn't do anything. Only time you see any error is under VCDS and under a auto scan which it says "TPMS disabled" that is all.

Since I disabled the system I am was thinking of cancelling my order on the four TPMS sensors, but as it's a new car I will get them since they will be good for roughly 5-7 years. Even though I got a great price on all four shipped, $180, still going to have to pay around $40 to have them installed. To each their own if they want to avoid the TPMS and not buy new ones, or to just get the new sensors. So here is a temporary, or permanent fix to that nag noise and alert.

Below is the picture of the coding before the change. Switch the first 3 to a 0 and it will disable the system. Can always re-enable it later if you feel like buying new sensors.

Last edited by Brozee; 12-21-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you are wrong. You can check tire pressure as often as you want and still you won't catch puncture. If it happens on high speed you won't feel it before it is too late and tire is scrap. Twice more money than sensors and it can happen more than once in the sensor batteries life.

I do not understand why would somebody upgrade Park Assist to a visual, totally useless but nice and disable Tire Pressure Monitoring, totally useful and also nice. O yes, required by low too.

And the last, W12 comes with all those nice features, why would you start getting rid of them for just $200?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mishar
I think you are wrong. You can check tire pressure as often as you want and still you won't catch puncture. If it happens on high speed you won't feel it before it is too late and tire is scrap. Twice more money than sensors and it can happen more than once in the sensor batteries life.

I do not understand why would somebody upgrade Park Assist to a visual, totally useless but nice and disable Tire Pressure Monitoring, totally useful and also nice. O yes, required by low too.

And the last, W12 comes with all those nice features, why would you start getting rid of them for just $200?
The point of the thread was more to disable the system's nag for someone until they replace them or if they actually do not want to purchase new sensors. I personally disabled it until I receive the new ones I bought in the mail. I like having it in Michigan for the sometimes very chilly winters that dip the psi. As for the new thread lol, it was made as the core point of a new thread, so someone could point right to it by the thread title rather than scanning through archives, as there has been so many threads on "how to disable if possible", etc. etc.

BTW, main reason for disabling is for people who use winter wheels and tires without TPMS.

Last edited by Brozee; 10-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good! I thought this tread is with the easy searchable title (like all should be) and that you are going to cancel your order, like you stated, but now I see that I was wrong.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a brand new D3 owner and the TPMS batteries have apparently come to the end of their life. Do I need a VAG-COM to program the new sensors if I choose to replace them?

Also, where did you find them for $180? Did that include the spare?

Thanks
Eric
Old 10-13-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Crizz
I am a brand new D3 owner and the TPMS batteries have apparently come to the end of their life. Do I need a VAG-COM to program the new sensors if I choose to replace them?

Also, where did you find them for $180? Did that include the spare?

Thanks
Eric
Here are the sensors
http://oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_...re-Sensors-SET

No it includes 4. You don't need to buy one for the spare as it won't give you an error in the MMI screen, only will show "--" for the spare. That is a unnecessary one to buy. You don't need VCDS to reprogram them. You just click "change wheels" in MMI and it will learn the new sensors over 15-20 minutes. 433mhz in U.S. btw.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-TPMS-fit-2...b1deae&vxp=mtr

These look like the same ones.

Do these support temperature as well as pressure?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Same thing. And yes they should.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I think you are wrong. You can check tire pressure as often as you want and still you won't catch puncture. If it happens on high speed you won't feel it before it is too late and tire is scrap.
This is exactly what happened to my wife driving in the rain. She said with the A8's awesome suspension, she couldn't tell the driver's rear tire went flat until the light came on. By that time the tire was destroyed. Fortunately the rim was not damaged.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If it was my wife I would be positive that she ignored the light for as long as she reached her destination. To fix the problem I would buy four new tires and four new rims. Everything has to be in balance.

Quick Reply: Disable TPMS System Success!