Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Another Q7 Fried Bose Amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Q7 Fried Bose Amp

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I have posted similar threads on other forums as i want to get the word around conerning the Audi Amp.
I just wanted to give everyone some input on the Audi Q7 amp that gets fried by water due to the drain tubes from the Sun Roof. Here is what happened to my Q 7.
Okay a few details of what happened to my Amp, I will try to cut it short as I don't want to bore everyone.

I purchased a 2007 Q7 about 2 months ago, I went on a Holiday trip which was about 1800 miles away , drove with the family , well upon reaching my destination the MMI stopped working , no screen, radio, phone , sound , nothing , not even the screen to regulate the heat and air condition.

Well you can imagine my disappointment, I reached my distination and quickly took the car to an Audi Garage where my old man knew someone that worked there, he told me straight away that it was the amp. He asked me to come back after hrs and he would remove all the cover in the rear to test the amp.

Sure enought once he removed the plastics you could see water on the foam and on the amp. He looked around and could not find a leak anywhere but he said it could of been condenstation accumilating for a long period of time, anyway he told me since I was 1800 miles away from home and that I would have to pay up front for them to order a new amp at a cost of 1300 euros ,he sugguested that I wait until I reach home, for the time being he was going to by pass the amp with a fiber optics connector ( photo to come) he installed the connector and presto everything worked but no sound on any of the devices. Well at least I could read the Satnav on my way home.

He put everything back and I was off , he only charged me like 10 euros as I only payed for the connector ( he was a very good friend of my dads ) so all was well until a few days later as the car didn't start , I called my dad friend again and he said that it was due to the amp still being plugged in and it was consumming low voltage that some days it would be fine and other days car would not start he said there was nothing you could do until amp is replace, okay fear enought, my two weeks holiday came to an end and back to the UK.

Back in the UK a called my extended warranty provider and explained to them exactly was the trouble was and what was done when i was on holiday,they advised that I take it to a reccommended repair centre which was Halfords , I said you must be joking they said no that they worked close with them on fixing car issues, I said there was no way that Halfords repair centres had the technology to repair the amp, well I gave them the benifit of the doubt and took it there and sure enough they said they could not repair it.

So I book an appointment with Audi, took it in and they said it would be £144 to have them diagnose the problem , I told them exactley what the problem was but they said it was procedure , again fear enough , left the car and I get a call at mid day stating that they needed 1 more hr at an additional cost of £144 I said absolutely not to have the service manager call me , he called me back in 5 minutes and said that they needed more time, I told him I told your receptionist exactley what the problem was why did she not tell you, he said oh are you sure that is what is wrong , I told hime that I was 100% sure as the amp has a fiber optic by pass connected, he said okay we will call your extended warranty to have the amp replaced , well 2 hr later I get a call from Audi that the extended warranty ( AA Gold) will not cover the repair because the amp is part of the entertainment unit , at this point I was steaming and called the extended warranty provider and explained to them yes it was part of the entertainment unit but also controlled the MMI information system screen and with out it nothing works, they did not want to hear it , so I told them that I wanted to cancle the warranty , they said that the warranty could only be cancled by the dealer I purchased it from , well that is another story.

On to pick up the Q7 , at this point I was at a boiling point , went to collect the Q7 paid the £144 , well I thought hey at least I got a car wash and clean, but to my surprise I looked around the car's interior and exterior and the cleaners must of been blind that they did not clean the two row behind the driver seats, then I looked in the back row and saw oil all over my third seats , I then checked to see if the plastics were put back correctley when they diagnosed the amp and to my amazement plastics were not cliped right and the back panel were missing screw , I flew off the wall and called the service manager and started argueing with him as to what type of service dept he was running , that this was unexceptable , well he just said sorry and cleaned the seats , then I said what about the screws , he said that they would have to get me a loaner and order the screws , I said you must me joking right , so I quickly loosened one of the other screws and gave it to hime to have a look if they had any laying around and sure enought he came back with two. At this point I had enought , I just got into my car and burst out of the car park, absolute rubbish never see me there again.

Now to the point , Audi useless , extended warranty useless , I will have to sort the issue out myself.
I will be posting a DIY very soon on how to take locate the Bose Amp , remove the amp and check thet fiber loop , I will also be posting some videos on DIY Audi Q7 , as I want to help the other Audi Q7 owners, I use to own a BMW X5 and there is allot more info on the various forums then The Audi Q7.

So stay tunned for Video, DIY instructions and Fiber optic device. Hopefully by the weekend
Please share this thread with other members nod check back soon for the updates.

Any Question please feel free to contact me.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to hear. Was the warranty Audi Used car Warrsnty or a Warranty from a 3rd Party. I think you can name the dealer, their is no shame in that, for warned is forearmed. Though I guess it's Crawley Audi.

Sunroof leakage is well covered on hear but i look forward to your DIY instruction on Bose

Edit Just seen AA Warranty

Cheers
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome. Thanks for posting but you are barking up the wrong tree. It is not a Bose issue. we already know all about this problem. Search the forum or the spreadsheet (column AG and also TSB sheet) via my sig about it, including TSB numbers.
There is not much use in starting a campaign on the internet at this stage.
There is no reason for this car to be out of warranty as the issue has not been fixed for 6 years. It has not just failed now. If the car was kept in a garage or carport by the previous owner then the sunroof problems may not have presented themselves but Audi UK and Audi AG knew the problem was there all along. They chose not to recall all affected production, rather to deal with it on a case by case method.
Write to them and consumer watchdogs to point out that they did not fix a known issue instead opting to charge you for treating the effect rather than the cause.
Keep us informed.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CMG.Q7
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I have posted similar threads on other forums as i want to get the word around conerning the Audi Amp.
I just wanted to give everyone some input on the Audi Q7 amp that gets fried by water due to the drain tubes from the Sun Roof. Here is what happened to my Q 7.
Okay a few details of what happened to my Amp, I will try to cut it short as I don't want to bore everyone.

I purchased a 2007 Q7 about 2 months ago, I went on a Holiday trip which was about 1800 miles away , drove with the family , well upon reaching my destination the MMI stopped working , no screen, radio, phone , sound , nothing , not even the screen to regulate the heat and air condition.

Well you can imagine my disappointment, I reached my distination and quickly took the car to an Audi Garage where my old man knew someone that worked there, he told me straight away that it was the amp. He asked me to come back after hrs and he would remove all the cover in the rear to test the amp.

Sure enought once he removed the plastics you could see water on the foam and on the amp. He looked around and could not find a leak anywhere but he said it could of been condenstation accumilating for a long period of time, anyway he told me since I was 1800 miles away from home and that I would have to pay up front for them to order a new amp at a cost of 1300 euros ,he sugguested that I wait until I reach home, for the time being he was going to by pass the amp with a fiber optics connector ( photo to come) he installed the connector and presto everything worked but no sound on any of the devices. Well at least I could read the Satnav on my way home.

He put everything back and I was off , he only charged me like 10 euros as I only payed for the connector ( he was a very good friend of my dads ) so all was well until a few days later as the car didn't start , I called my dad friend again and he said that it was due to the amp still being plugged in and it was consumming low voltage that some days it would be fine and other days car would not start he said there was nothing you could do until amp is replace, okay fear enought, my two weeks holiday came to an end and back to the UK.

Back in the UK a called my extended warranty provider and explained to them exactly was the trouble was and what was done when i was on holiday,they advised that I take it to a reccommended repair centre which was Halfords , I said you must be joking they said no that they worked close with them on fixing car issues, I said there was no way that Halfords repair centres had the technology to repair the amp, well I gave them the benifit of the doubt and took it there and sure enough they said they could not repair it.

So I book an appointment with Audi, took it in and they said it would be £144 to have them diagnose the problem , I told them exactley what the problem was but they said it was procedure , again fear enough , left the car and I get a call at mid day stating that they needed 1 more hr at an additional cost of £144 I said absolutely not to have the service manager call me , he called me back in 5 minutes and said that they needed more time, I told him I told your receptionist exactley what the problem was why did she not tell you, he said oh are you sure that is what is wrong , I told hime that I was 100% sure as the amp has a fiber optic by pass connected, he said okay we will call your extended warranty to have the amp replaced , well 2 hr later I get a call from Audi that the extended warranty ( AA Gold) will not cover the repair because the amp is part of the entertainment unit , at this point I was steaming and called the extended warranty provider and explained to them yes it was part of the entertainment unit but also controlled the MMI information system screen and with out it nothing works, they did not want to hear it , so I told them that I wanted to cancle the warranty , they said that the warranty could only be cancled by the dealer I purchased it from , well that is another story.

On to pick up the Q7 , at this point I was at a boiling point , went to collect the Q7 paid the £144 , well I thought hey at least I got a car wash and clean, but to my surprise I looked around the car's interior and exterior and the cleaners must of been blind that they did not clean the two row behind the driver seats, then I looked in the back row and saw oil all over my third seats , I then checked to see if the plastics were put back correctley when they diagnosed the amp and to my amazement plastics were not cliped right and the back panel were missing screw , I flew off the wall and called the service manager and started argueing with him as to what type of service dept he was running , that this was unexceptable , well he just said sorry and cleaned the seats , then I said what about the screws , he said that they would have to get me a loaner and order the screws , I said you must me joking right , so I quickly loosened one of the other screws and gave it to hime to have a look if they had any laying around and sure enought he came back with two. At this point I had enought , I just got into my car and burst out of the car park, absolute rubbish never see me there again.

Now to the point , Audi useless , extended warranty useless , I will have to sort the issue out myself.
I will be posting a DIY very soon on how to take locate the Bose Amp , remove the amp and check thet fiber loop , I will also be posting some videos on DIY Audi Q7 , as I want to help the other Audi Q7 owners, I use to own a BMW X5 and there is allot more info on the various forums then The Audi Q7.

So stay tunned for Video, DIY instructions and Fiber optic device. Hopefully by the weekend
Please share this thread with other members nod check back soon for the updates.

Any Question please feel free to contact me.

Cheers
No it is not the Crawley Audi, It was Coulsdon Audi because it was closer for me to get on the train to work.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Welcome. Thanks for posting but you are barking up the wrong tree. It is not a Bose issue. we already know all about this problem. Search the forum or the spreadsheet (column AG and also TSB sheet) via my sig about it, including TSB numbers.
There is not much use in starting a campaign on the internet at this stage.
There is no reason for this car to be out of warranty as the issue has not been fixed for 6 years. It has not just failed now. If the car was kept in a garage or carport by the previous owner then the sunroof problems may not have presented themselves but Audi UK and Audi AG knew the problem was there all along. They chose not to recall all affected production, rather to deal with it on a case by case method.
Write to them and consumer watchdogs to point out that they did not fix a known issue instead opting to charge you for treating the effect rather than the cause.
Keep us informed.
I understand that it is not bose fault , but I tried telling them at it was due to the water and they said that there were no known issues.