Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

07 Q7 sunroof frame/drain leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Q7 sunroof frame/drain leak?

I'm not sure what the deal is with all of the leaky sunroof posts that have been brought up lately, but our 07 Q7 is at the dealer now with an amp that quit working due to a leak.

They say its because of a leaky sunroof frame and want $2800 to replace the frame, plus another $1300 for the Amp. Is this right?
Are the frames to blame or is it really just a clogged sunroof drain?

Can anyone tell me where the actual drain is, so that I can check it out. Also, where exactly is the Amp located so I can check out how bad the leak is?

Any other info would be great too.
VIN # WA1BY74L77D043665

Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by eldoj
I'm not sure what the deal is with all of the leaky sunroof posts that have been brought up lately, but our 07 Q7 is at the dealer now with an amp that quit working due to a leak.

They say its because of a leaky sunroof frame and want $2800 to replace the frame, plus another $1300 for the Amp. Is this right?
Are the frames to blame or is it really just a clogged sunroof drain?

Can anyone tell me where the actual drain is, so that I can check it out. Also, where exactly is the Amp located so I can check out how bad the leak is?

Any other info would be great too.
VIN # WA1BY74L77D043665

Thanks
Hello eldoj:

The Bose amp is in the back (trunk); the posts were brought up by me for other Q7 drivers with the same issue to see what is going on. My dealer changed one by one the front drains and later Prestige in Miami did replace the rear ones after a leak that damaged the amp (you can read my post that I also brought up). There is a TSB, look at the TSB post from justforfun. This is a current issue for some of us, and is a design problem that Audi corrected after 2007. Get as much information from thess posts, tell your dealer about it and call Audi NA. To tell you the truth you should be entitled to a 100% covered repair from Audi NA, you will have to negotiate, it will take you a little fight.
Good luck

Last edited by RAD2; 07-24-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure for the cost of the frame, but for the amplifier, here in Canada they asked $1,200 CDN which I believe would be approx. $1,300 US.
I have the same issue, lost the amplifier due to a leak on my 2007 Q7.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I having the same problem with my car as we speak. Its at the dealer now. Luckily, the extended warranty i purchased with my vehicle 2008 Audi Q7 did cover the Amplifier but i still have to pay for fixing the leaky sunroof which was like $300 which by the way is not my fault. The dealer told me that i have to even change the Battery as it is going to die on me. But i am going to wait for it to die as it will cost me $700 more to get a battery at the dealer.
I was a big fan of Audi before .. and i have even owned an A4 before.. but i am now starting to think...
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why wouldnt the extended warr cover leaky sunroof but the amp is covered?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GRNMACHINE
why wouldnt the extended warr cover leaky sunroof but the amp is covered?
Exactly my thoughts. Ideally i would want Audi to cover the issue. They should have done a recall and fixed the issue in the first place. But, i think at least i was lucky that i took a warranty.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Amazing...

Originally Posted by shailendra.g
I having the same problem with my car as we speak. Its at the dealer now. Luckily, the extended warranty i purchased with my vehicle 2008 Audi Q7 did cover the Amplifier but i still have to pay for fixing the leaky sunroof which was like $300 which by the way is not my fault. The dealer told me that i have to even change the Battery as it is going to die on me. But i am going to wait for it to die as it will cost me $700 more to get a battery at the dealer.
I was a big fan of Audi before .. and i have even owned an A4 before.. but i am now starting to think...
Wow. I can't believe this. I have a 2007 Q7. Have had it just over 5 years and warranty is conveniently done. Had the amp go out about 6 weeks ago. Replacement of amp was about $1,300 and replacement of sunroof tubing was about $350. Dealer said that tubes got clogged and water has nowhere to go but the electronics (great engineering...). About 2 weeks ago we had a really heavy rain and my car was outside and the right rear passenger floorboard was noticeably wet. Windows were up and nothing else was wet. Suspicious. I'm taking car back to dealer on Monday and calling Audi (the car company, not the dealer) tomorrow to raise H*ll. Dealer says that's the way to go. Convenient of them.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep- I would wager most if not all 07 Q7's with S/R's will have this issue. It sounds like some 08's as well. I wonder if the newer ones will also suffer the same fate over time.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi

Originally Posted by chickdr
Yep- I would wager most if not all 07 Q7's with S/R's will have this issue. It sounds like some 08's as well. I wonder if the newer ones will also suffer the same fate over time.
As you can see many of the 2007 Q7 owners have dealed with this problem, that Audi knew short after the Q7 came out. AudiNA/Audi instead of recalling them, they issued a TSB and did not inform dealers or customers. Many of us believe that this is unacceptable and Audi should step up and offer a fix when the symptoms (water leak)and damage (electrical component damage)show up, it does not matter that the cars are out of warranty, when they find out the issue and came out with the TSB, "all of the Q7" on the road where under warranty.

2007 Audi Q7 4.2 premium
Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RAD2
As you can see many of the 2007 Q7 owners have dealed with this problem, that Audi knew short after the Q7 came out. AudiNA/Audi instead of recalling them, they issued a TSB and did not inform dealers or customers. Many of us believe that this is unacceptable and Audi should step up and offer a fix when the symptoms (water leak)and damage (electrical component damage)show up, it does not matter that the cars are out of warranty, when they find out the issue and came out with the TSB, "all of the Q7" on the road where under warranty.

2007 Audi Q7 4.2 premium
I agree- they should have recalled all Q7's, or issued a mandatory TSB to replace the SR frame and drains. However, they decided not to and will never do it now or in the future. They may on a case by case basis offer some goodwill repairs, but I doubt it will ever be a full repair for free. They obviously decided the customers they would lose over this were not worth it...