A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption

I have a 2010 A4 P+, 29,000 miles, with which I am mostly happy with. Except:

The oil consumption is bad and has steadily gotten worse. A few months ago, I took the car in for an oil top up (1 quart usage after 2000 miles of little-old-lady driving). The dealer service guys volunteered to check it all out (at AudiUSA's expense), did a bunch of stuff, and replaced some parts.

The oil-gauge electronic monitor steadily showed fewer bars, and 1400 miles later, the "Add oil" warning flashed. I put in a quart of Audi oil. 500 miles later, the electronic bars are at half - indicating another 1/2 quart or so burnt.

Basically, my car - after the AUdi dealer's repairs for excessive oil consumption - is using 1 quart of oil every 1400 miles. I understand that this is within Audi's official parameters, but I have never had a car using this much oil.

To top it off, the Audi dealer refuses to do any further work until I return to them without adding oil on my own. Errr, in the midst of Bumf**k, CA, what are my choices apart from filling up the oil tank?

In view of all of this, I am going to get rid of my Audi, and go with some other brand who still cares. Kinda sad, since this is my 3 Audi in 14 years.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, excessive oil burn for the new EA888 2.0T in the B8 A4's is a pretty common problem. Audi's "normal" range of up to 1 quart per 1200 miles is ridiculous in my opinion - for an engine has a 10,000 mile oil change interval - you are going to pour in 8 quarts in between each change at that rate - the engine only holds 4.8 quarts with filter.

Sounds like your dealer did part 1 of the "oil consumption TSB" which involves replacing the crankcase ventilation valve, the front crankshaft seal, and updated the ECU with a new software version, then topping off the oil and measuring the level by computer (I just had this done as well about 300 miles ago). Following this you are supposed to return to the dealer in 600-1000 miles so they can re-measure the oil level and compute the consumption rate.

Since you added oil, they would have to take your word that you added exactly 1 quart, and that probably isn't good enough for Audi of America to authorize "Part 2" which is very expensive (replacing pistons and rings). Since you went 1400 miles between the top up and the oil warning - maybe plan it so that you can be back at the dealer in 1000-1200 miles?

I think you have every right to be disappointed with this situation - I'm in the same boat, but you might work with your dealer to complete the oil consumption test properly and see if they will authorize the next step and get your car fixed.

Not what I'd expect from Audi...

Last edited by need_TQM; 07-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by need_TQM
Unfortunately, excessive oil burn for the new EA888 2.0T in the B8 A4's is a pretty common problem. Audi's "normal" range of up to 1 quart per 1200 miles is ridiculous in my opinion - for an engine has a 10,000 mile oil change interval - you are going to pour in 8 quarts in between each change at that rate - the engine only holds 4.8 quarts with filter.

Sounds like your dealer did part 1 of the "oil consumption TSB" which involves replacing the crankcase ventilation valve, the front crankshaft seal, and updated the ECU with a new software version, then topping off the oil and measuring the level by computer (I just had this done as well about 300 miles ago). Following this you are supposed to return to the dealer in 600-1000 miles so they can re-measure the oil level and compute the consumption rate.

Since you added oil, they would have to take your word that you added exactly 1 quart, and that probably isn't good enough for Audi of America to authorize "Part 2" which is very expensive (replacing pistons and rings). Since you went 1400 miles between the top up and the oil warning - maybe plan it so that you can be back at the dealer in 1000-1200 miles?

I think you have every right to be disappointed with this situation - I'm in the same boat, but you might work with your dealer to complete the oil consumption test properly and see if they will authorize the next step and get your car fixed.

Not what I'd expect from Audi...
Thank you very much. I now have a better understanding about what happened.

No, I didn't planned on an oil fill-up. I was a few hundreds miles from home, and rather than having it serviced, I just bought some oil from the nearest AUdi dealer. Obviosuly, that was a mistake on my part.

The likelihood that my car's pistons and rings are defective doesn't exactly give me confidence in Audi, especially since it will take me a few more trips to the dealer to get anything resolved. I do work for a living, and I can't spare many more days getting this resolved.

I've had Audi's for 12+ years, but this latest one has given me multiple headaches, and the Audi responses over the past 3 years seem terrible. I will be selling this car, and I won't be buying Audi again.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by need_TQM

Is that really the "normal" range? I was burning about 1/2qt every 5000, which seems like the norm around here, but it seems to be getting worse now I'm around 25,000 miles.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Is that really the "normal" range? I was burning about 1/2qt every 5000, which seems like the norm around here, but it seems to be getting worse now I'm around 25,000 miles.
That's not normal for any decent car, but Audi uses that figure.

My 2010 A4 P+ was burning a quart every 2000 miles from the start. I mentioned it every service, but the dealer service folks swear that there is nothing wrong and of course within the Audi parameters. I drive pretty conservatively and mostly on highways.

When it got to less than 2000 miles, I took the car in for a formal diagnosis, with the results I said in the OP.

I've had plenty of cars, in the Audi A4 range, including previous A4 and A3, and not one of them uses close to that much oil.

There is something wrong with my car. Audi refuses to acknowledge it (expensive to fix, I'm sure).

Compare to my first experience with Audi, both the cars and the service have deteriorated sharply in the past few years.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I recently had part one performed on my car and so far I haven't lost a single drop and I've been driving it hard this past week. I used to burn a quart every 2-3k miles. I am hoping that part one fixes my problem. I am due at my dealer in 300 miles for a possible part two. Honestly I do NOT want/trust them tearing my engine apart.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well we just got our 1st trial reading with my kids 09. We had the car for 2300 miles and usage is at 3/4 quart. So if we get 1qt. per 5000 mile oil change I will be OK with it. As I mentioned in other posts our 07 was getting around 1200 miles per qt. or 4 qts. per oil change. An extra $36 for oil wasn't in my kids budget. We'll keep this for 3-4 years and my ploy will be to get the kid into something like a Lexus IS250AWD. Live and learn.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

My 2010 A4 started burning 1 qt in every 700-800 miles. The service advisor arrogantly dismissed me telling me it was normal, and threw the VW oil statement brochure at me. After making two service appointments weeks in advance and not having loaners for me to begin the process, I decided it was not worth the aggravation and sold the car.

Interestingly enough the TSB for oil consumption came out about 2 weeks after I disposed of my Audi, and it took them almost 8 weeks to certify it before it was put out for sale and eventually sold. For what it's worth, I have now had my BMW 535 i X drive for a year and it has yet to burn a drop of oil in over 15K miles. The Audi was 2 years old and had 30K on it when I sold it.

I find it frustrating that high line vehicle brands like Audi go out of their way to deny problems and just about lie to customers to get out of doing warranty repairs. Cheap is cheap, and losing customers costs a lot more than repairing a car the correct way and making the customer happy.

As a side note, I was offered a SUPER deal on an A6 at the time, but the experience turned me off to the brand. My experience with BMW, while not perfect, has been much more professional and they do address issues as they arise...but I am still going to look at Lexus next time around. Our 2010 RX has never had ANY issues...and it's a hybrid (2nd one)......
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I burn 1qt, every 5000 miles. So it's full of oil after an oil change, at +5000, I had 1 quart. At +10000 miles, I just leave it and get the oil changed.

I have a 2009 2.0T.

And I do drive like a bat out of hell. Typically use Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec 0W40, since that's what the book/dealer said.

I'm at 67,000 miles now.

Last edited by Macallan21; 07-08-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Art234
My 2010 A4 started burning 1 qt in every 700-800 miles. The service advisor arrogantly dismissed me telling me it was normal, and threw the VW oil statement brochure at me. After making two service appointments weeks in advance and not having loaners for me to begin the process, I decided it was not worth the aggravation and sold the car.

Interestingly enough the TSB for oil consumption came out about 2 weeks after I disposed of my Audi, and it took them almost 8 weeks to certify it before it was put out for sale and eventually sold. For what it's worth, I have now had my BMW 535 i X drive for a year and it has yet to burn a drop of oil in over 15K miles. The Audi was 2 years old and had 30K on it when I sold it.

I find it frustrating that high line vehicle brands like Audi go out of their way to deny problems and just about lie to customers to get out of doing warranty repairs. Cheap is cheap, and losing customers costs a lot more than repairing a car the correct way and making the customer happy.

As a side note, I was offered a SUPER deal on an A6 at the time, but the experience turned me off to the brand. My experience with BMW, while not perfect, has been much more professional and they do address issues as they arise...but I am still going to look at Lexus next time around. Our 2010 RX has never had ANY issues...and it's a hybrid (2nd one)......
Your beef should've been with that particular dealer not the brand. My Audi dealer is top notch and one of the main reasons why I kept purchasing Audis. Instead of switching cars you should've switched dealer. On the other hand my BMW dealer employs complete idiots in their service department except one who also happened to be German. If I can not schedule my appointment with him I don't go in. 535Xi is a blast to drive

Quick Reply: Oil consumption