A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Intake Actuator Arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 Intake Actuator Arms

Haven't see a thread on this (did find an old one in the D2 forum) but found one of my intake actuator arms was broken. The only reason I went looking was a tip on another forum to "check them routinely" as they are prone to break. When broken you can experience a loss of power and maybe even a stumble at off idle acceleration.

Well sure enough, one is broken. Here is the option, Audi $700-800 for a "Kit" to repair/replace them, or:

http://gruvenparts.com/website/cart/...category_id=60

I ordered a pair of them for $79 and they should be here next week.

Here is more info from the VW website (Phaeton)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ngine-TOC-done
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you for the information. Actually it was recently covered here and here.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Thank you for the information. Actually it was recently covered here and here.
I obviously didn't look very hard!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

No harm done. We can't have too many information.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Gruven product is good. Just need to keep an eye on the shaft operation once installed.

Reason being is that the links are the weak point if failure of the shafts or butterflies occurs. But, sometimes the links just age and become brittle then fail, like in my case.

Before you fit the links, manually rotate each of the arms to check of the shafts 'stick' or click or are very hard to move. If so, DO NOT INSTALL THE NEW LINKS. Rip the intake off and refurbish / clean out the intake and check why the shafts are not moving freely. Repair then fit the links.

Cheers
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. I checked mine today too, meant to do it when the most recent thread came up that mishear posted but forgot. Both shafts on my 2004 are broken. I ordered the gruvenparts shafts today.

Question, is there a trick to getting the plastic shafts off, or they just pop right off with enough pressure?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AusA8
Gruven product is good. Just need to keep an eye on the shaft operation once installed.

Reason being is that the links are the weak point if failure of the shafts or butterflies occurs. But, sometimes the links just age and become brittle then fail, like in my case.

Before you fit the links, manually rotate each of the arms to check of the shafts 'stick' or click or are very hard to move. If so, DO NOT INSTALL THE NEW LINKS. Rip the intake off and refurbish / clean out the intake and check why the shafts are not moving freely. Repair then fit the links.

Cheers

:-) The first thing I did was make sure the shafts where not binding or stuck, both move just fine.

I think I am good, just a victim of the plastic failing.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boz151
Thanks for all the tips guys. I checked mine today too, meant to do it when the most recent thread came up that mishear posted but forgot. Both shafts on my 2004 are broken. I ordered the gruvenparts shafts today.

Question, is there a trick to getting the plastic shafts off, or they just pop right off with enough pressure?

Thanks.
Don't have mine yet but here are pictures from the VW thread...looks like needle nose pliers and/or channel lock/vise grips will do

Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boz151

Thanks.
I used a flat head screw driver to pop off the original ones and then used short nosed pliers (with two pieces of thin plastic on either side to prevent damage to the surface of the gruven link.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

What size did you guys order? Going to check mines later but want order them now. Had mines for almost 5 years and I'm pretty sure one or both might be broken.

Quick Reply: A8 Intake Actuator Arms