A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What's the Correct Chain Count btwn Intake & Exhaust Cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What's the Correct Chain Count btwn Intake & Exhaust Cams

I have a 2000 Audi 2.7T Quattro (134K miles) & have been throwing misfire codes on multiple cylinders & cam/crank correlation codes since we bought it. Vag-com also showed bank 1 & bank 2 phasing of 12°KW (whatever units that is). Bentley manual says 0°KW +/-6, so both banks are definitely out of spec.

I suspect someone's been at these cams before me, so I'm uncertain that the chain was put on correctly.
There is lots of conflicting information on the proper chain roller count between cam teeth. Doesn't help that bank 1 & 2 intake cam sprockets have different alignment mark locations relative to a tooth. Bentley manual doesn't even distinguish between bank 1 & bank 2. I've heard/read 14 or 15, or 16 rollers, so I know there's bad info out there.
So, I ask is this layout correct?

Also, an audi mechanic said I should change out cam chain tensioners & chains because the tensioners malfunction & the chain stretches slightly, all which can affect cam timing. The various tensioner tests (resitance/voltage, etc) I ran via Bentley & vag-com solenoid activation all passed. So can the tensioner still malfunction and pass these tests? The chain pads/shoes show very slight wear. Can barely catch my fingernail on it. I'm a bit hestitant on changing out the tensioner because of cost & it tests good. I'm leaning toward just changing chain & shoes as I try to fix the misfire/correlation problem.

Oh, & yes I'm using crank lock pin, cam lock bar, tensioner tool. AND have changed out cam position sensors, crank position sensor, all TB + pulleys + tensioners, ICMs, fairly new plugs, resistance checked coil-on-plugs. Also checked that cam rotor for CPS is installed correctly & didn't flatten the keyed tab.

I seriously wonder if the chain count I show is incorrect (it's this way on my car...I'm 100% certain X 2 times x 2 people counting).
If wrong, what's RIGHT???
If right, what else am I missing that can throw of the cam/crank phasing.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Minor edit on phasing values

Vag-com also showed bank 1 & bank 2 phasing of 25°KW
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

This might help:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng107.shtml

IIRC one of the banks has 15 links and the other has 16 links between timing sprockets. Use 16 but:

Guy on auditoriums notes:
I dont have my manual here in front of me but you count the same number of links on both the drivers and passengers sides and I beleive it is 16. The reason you hear of 1 link difference from the drivers side to the passenger is due to the way the drivers side intake cam timing mark is stamped. The timing mark on that cam is stamped on the peak of a tooth and not a valley so technicaly it could be correct on either side of the mark as you cant line it up exactly on the 16th tooth. Be sure when you line up that tooth that you do so with the mark to the left side of the tooth if you are standing in front of the motor looking back. The car will run fine with it lined up on either side but if it is lined up to the right side of that peak the ecm will kick a code for improbable cam position. I learned this one the hard way and had to tear mine back down to move the chain one tooth to resolve the code issue.

If you don't have a Bentley, get one.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRuby
I have a 2000 Audi 2.7T Quattro (134K miles) & have been throwing misfire codes on multiple cylinders & cam/crank correlation codes since we bought it. Vag-com also showed bank 1 & bank 2 phasing of 12°KW (whatever units that is). Bentley manual says 0°KW +/-6, so both banks are definitely out of spec.

I suspect someone's been at these cams before me, so I'm uncertain that the chain was put on correctly.
There is lots of conflicting information on the proper chain roller count between cam teeth. Doesn't help that bank 1 & 2 intake cam sprockets have different alignment mark locations relative to a tooth. Bentley manual doesn't even distinguish between bank 1 & bank 2. I've heard/read 14 or 15, or 16 rollers, so I know there's bad info out there.
So, I ask is this layout correct?

Also, an audi mechanic said I should change out cam chain tensioners & chains because the tensioners malfunction & the chain stretches slightly, all which can affect cam timing. The various tensioner tests (resitance/voltage, etc) I ran via Bentley & vag-com solenoid activation all passed. So can the tensioner still malfunction and pass these tests? The chain pads/shoes show very slight wear. Can barely catch my fingernail on it. I'm a bit hestitant on changing out the tensioner because of cost & it tests good. I'm leaning toward just changing chain & shoes as I try to fix the misfire/correlation problem.

Oh, & yes I'm using crank lock pin, cam lock bar, tensioner tool. AND have changed out cam position sensors, crank position sensor, all TB + pulleys + tensioners, ICMs, fairly new plugs, resistance checked coil-on-plugs. Also checked that cam rotor for CPS is installed correctly & didn't flatten the keyed tab.

I seriously wonder if the chain count I show is incorrect (it's this way on my car...I'm 100% certain X 2 times x 2 people counting).
If wrong, what's RIGHT???
If right, what else am I missing that can throw of the cam/crank phasing.
im dealing with the same isue. have you ever figured it out yet?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Huskerbob's last link with the kindergarden picture is the best info you will find on this topic.