Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

please help me enable the oil temperature monitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me enable the oil temperature monitor

Hi
I just got my vcds cable and would like to enable the oil temperature monitor among other things so please can anyone help me enable the oil temp monitor
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shaikhasm
Hi
I just got my vcds cable and would like to enable the oil temperature monitor among other things so please can anyone help me enable the oil temp monitor
By other models you must enable the laptiner with vcds, i have tried this on my c7 and the laptimer doesn't show up. I think its not possible.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not in to the vag com thing, but you might visit http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html
Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bashonselaar
By other models you must enable the laptiner with vcds, i have tried this on my c7 and the laptimer doesn't show up. I think its not possible.
thanks alot
what do you suggest i enable with it cuz I'm new to vcds and i am getting the cable today
Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Assuming you've done the initial communication checks between your computer, VCDS, and the car, you just do the following:

From the first VCDS screen, click "select"
Next screen, click "17-instruments"
Next screen, click "Coding-07"
Next screen, click "Long code helper"

In item 3 of the long code helper window (there are 4 numbered items in the window), click on byte #1 (the words "Byte 1" will show up in a box below that, and all the available selections show up).

You should see a list of bits 0 through 7. Bit 3 should say "Lap timer active" and you just click on the checkbox so it becomes checked.

Then click Exit (which closes that window). From the next window, check "Do It!"

Then exit VCDS and the oil temp (and lap timer) should be enabled.

To see the oil temp/lap timer in the driver display in the dash, push the button on the underside of the wiper stalk to cycle through the various screens.

The oil temp will not show a temperature until the oil is at least 140*F.
The lap timers are started/stopped/paused with the rocker switch on the end of the wiper stalk. You clear/reset the timers by holding the button on the underside for a few seconds while the lap timer / oil temp display is showing in the dash.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EF99
Assuming you've done the initial communication checks between your computer, VCDS, and the car, you just do the following:

From the first VCDS screen, click "select"
Next screen, click "17-instruments"
Next screen, click "Coding-07"
Next screen, click "Long code helper"

In item 3 of the long code helper window (there are 4 numbered items in the window), click on byte #1 (the words "Byte 1" will show up in a box below that, and all the available selections show up).

You should see a list of bits 0 through 7. Bit 3 should say "Lap timer active" and you just click on the checkbox so it becomes checked.

Then click Exit (which closes that window). From the next window, check "Do It!"

Then exit VCDS and the oil temp (and lap timer) should be enabled.

To see the oil temp/lap timer in the driver display in the dash, push the button on the underside of the wiper stalk to cycle through the various screens.

The oil temp will not show a temperature until the oil is at least 140*F.
The lap timers are started/stopped/paused with the rocker switch on the end of the wiper stalk. You clear/reset the timers by holding the button on the underside for a few seconds while the lap timer / oil temp display is showing in the dash.
the options are available in vcds but our wiper stalk have nothing except wiping interval setting

and there is something i saw it said start up screen and you could choose normal(default), S-line, S model or RS model do any of you guys know anything about it
Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Shaik, it's real important to do an AUTOSCAN before you start tinkering with things. Create two copies. One in the form of a .TXT file that you keep on your VCDS computer, the other should be a hard copy you print and keep in your file in the house. This way you can go back and restore codes when bad things start to happen...

How can you not have the additional switches on the wiper stalk??
Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a US spec car... we don't have the additional switch either.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnA6
.. we don't have the additional switch either.
No trip computer
Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the trip reset button on the dash

Quick Reply: please help me enable the oil temperature monitor