Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Right front drain replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right front drain replacement cost

I was quoted $1700 to replace right front drain. What does it involve and can i clean it myself or what
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audiblack73
I was quoted $1700 to replace right front drain. What does it involve and can i clean it myself or what
I'm a little confused. Why would the "right front drain" need to be replaced. Exactly what is being replaced? Are you talking about the drain tube from the "A" pillar or the A/C condensate tube? The actual tube that runs through the firewall and terminates with a bladder valve up high in the wheel well. I can only guess that if that line needs replaced, it is because someone ran a fish (flexible fiberglass or steel rod) through the line and actually punctured the line. There might be significant labor needed to R&R that line.

When I cleared my lines, I only needed to stick my finger up the bladder drain to clear some dead leaves and pine needles. There was about a mason's jar worth of water stuck up there and released once the drain was cleared.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

@ pch, didnt get any pics of the Sun Roof Drain outlet by any chance? Also the Q7 in question is a MY 2007, they had the earlier drain hose type that can crush by the cable ties. Perhaps that is why they recommend replace as solution.
@audiblack73, I saved links to earlier threads and pics re sunroof drains in the spreadsheet. Scroll down body faults column. There may be other notes re same. Also check out the Part No & TSB sheet(both sections).
NOTE see the part number and price... 22 bucks at the last count.
In answer to your question. Yes you could probably do it but read up on all possibilities and solutions first.

It could well be just blocked.
Next worst it may be offor loose from its top end connection.
Worst of all it could be kinked. I doubt this because it would have kinked long ago.

Please report back on progress or ask for more help any time.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
@ pch, didnt get any pics of the Sun Roof Drain outlet by any chance? Also the Q7 in question is a MY 2007, they had the earlier drain hose type that can crush by the cable ties. Perhaps that is why they recommend replace as solution.
@audiblack73, I saved links to earlier threads and pics re sunroof drains in the spreadsheet. Scroll down body faults column. There may be other notes re same. Also check out the Part No & TSB sheet(both sections).
NOTE see the part number and price... 22 bucks at the last count.
In answer to your question. Yes you could probably do it but read up on all possibilities and solutions first.

It could well be just blocked.
Next worst it may be offor loose from its top end connection.
Worst of all it could be kinked. I doubt this because it would have kinked long ago.

Please report back on progress or ask for more help any time.
Unfortunately no pics other than those that you probably saw when the sunroof was replaced..
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

My experiment so far, found drain holes on sunroof, inserted weed wacker wire, both side got stuck at around end of a pillar, as it is both side so i dont think it is blocked atleast till the end of a pillar. Question is what is this resistance i hate to push it further. Wondering where is the endpoint exactly. Pics any.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

My car is 08 ( built date 2/08)so should not have 07 kind of drain problem , right.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Water leak sunroofdrain

I contacted audi usa for this ongoing known problem and i told them i was quoted $1700 from dealership to replace all 4 hoses. They contacted me back and contacted dealer who scheduled my appt and replaced all 4 drains for very low price compared to what i was quoted. Car was out of warranty
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audiblack73
I contacted audi usa for this ongoing known problem and i told them i was quoted $1700 from dealership to replace all 4 hoses. They contacted me back and contacted dealer who scheduled my appt and replaced all 4 drains for very low price compared to what i was quoted. Car was out of warranty
Fantastic news! Squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Result. Good. Well done.