A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof drains were clogged and now clear

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof drains were clogged and now clear

I found a upholstery that wasnt scared to do the sunroof drains here in Va Beach on the A8. The first couple of places wouldnt even look at it. It took about 4 hours w/ aligning the sunroof and lubing everything back up.

Everything in the overhead to come down and all screws needed to be accounted for and put back after completion. The sunroof for some reason didnt want to close and open properly for alittle. After playing with the controls and making sure everything was lubed it finally worked. He used a 6 ft hanger type w/ a circle bend on it, so it would jab holes in the tubes.

Some pics I took with my cell phone.
Attached Images     
Old 10-14-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Easy job, do it yourself.

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
I found a upholstery that wasnt scared to do the sunroof drains here in Va Beach on the A8. The first couple of places wouldnt even look at it. It took about 4 hours w/ aligning the sunroof and lubing everything back up.

Everything in the overhead to come down and all screws needed to be accounted for and put back after completion. The sunroof for some reason didnt want to close and open properly for alittle. After playing with the controls and making sure everything was lubed it finally worked. He used a 6 ft hanger type w/ a circle bend on it, so it would jab holes in the tubes.

Some pics I took with my cell phone.
Hi guys, I had passenger side (left here in nz) leak at rear pillar. I really struggled cleaning the front blocked drain, tried weedeater line, electrical cable, all sorts - had to use compressed air. Drained compressor tank so it only had low pressure, cleared it straight away.
Rear drain fix, this is simple and only 2-3 tools required. Undo 3 screws behind top grab handle and coat-hanger hook, undo screw in cover with the airbag label on it at top of b pillar. Across top of rear screen, there is a separate headliner piece, pull this down to get at screw that hold side lining up, with some pulling down, and then towards front - rear side lining will come out.
Then headlining can be pulled down enough for access to drains. These can be pulled of the sunroof and then cleaned out (mine was full and the hose also needed to be re-bonded to the fitting).
Push hose and fitting back onto the sunroof and te-fit all trims - easy peasy.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Some pics before re-assembly.

Originally Posted by daniel rosel
Hi guys, I had passenger side (left here in nz) leak at rear pillar. I really struggled cleaning the front blocked drain, tried weedeater line, electrical cable, all sorts - had to use compressed air. Drained compressor tank so it only had low pressure, cleared it straight away.
Rear drain fix, this is simple and only 2-3 tools required. Undo 3 screws behind top grab handle and coat-hanger hook, undo screw in cover with the airbag label on it at top of b pillar. Across top of rear screen, there is a separate headliner piece, pull this down to get at screw that hold side lining up, with some pulling down, and then towards front - rear side lining will come out.
Then headlining can be pulled down enough for access to drains. These can be pulled of the sunroof and then cleaned out (mine was full and the hose also needed to be re-bonded to the fitting).
Push hose and fitting back onto the sunroof and te-fit all trims - easy peasy.
Remove screw, allows headlining to be pulled down.

Remove screw. Pull side liner downward off the c pillar, it will unclipped and then pull forwards.