Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Leaking Sunroof drain on another 07 :/

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Sunroof drain on another 07 :/

Well after all that lovely rain we got down here in South Florida, my wife's Q7 started to leak on the front passenger side on Saturday :/ Opened the door on Saturday morning, to have that lovely mold/mildew smell...

After being out all day Saturday and driving through some pretty nasty rain, I noticed the carpet had gotten worst so Sunday I got up early. I looked down in the firewall by the ECU and ABS unit and was horrified to see how many leaves were stuck down in there. Luckily I have air suspension so I set it to Off Road and removed the wheel covers and to my horror this is what came of the drain line hole :O

Passenger Side

Name:  IMG-20111030-00003.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  122.5 KB

Drivers Side was worst
Name:  IMG-20111030-00004.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  104.6 KB

After I cleared all those leaves out, I had my wife poor water into the drain and saw all the water drain out, but after a few seconds my wife said she could see water droplets dripping down from the bottom of the dash still... WTF!!!

With all the rust I see, I wonder how long its been dripping for...
Name:  IMG-20111030-00012.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  52.4 KB

Luckily I have compressor and blower gun so I was able to blow out all the dripping water and then I used some surround wrap to cover the fuse box and ABS connector
Name:  IMG-20111030-00013.jpg
Views: 4730
Size:  77.0 KB

Took the truck to Champion Audi and they said the sunroof drain slipped off the track, which didn't make sense to me because the water was dripping slowly from the bottom of the A pillar where the fuse box cover is...

Of course the service adviser didn't want to hear me talking about replacing all the drains due to the common issues with 07 Q7's and their sunroof drains... I'm really scared to see what will happen in the future and the CPO is only good for one more year... Do you guys think I should call AoA to see what I can do about this?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by markcorrado1
Well after all that lovely rain we got down here in South Florida, my wife's Q7 started to leak on the front passenger side on Saturday :/ Opened the door on Saturday morning, to have that lovely mold/mildew smell...

After being out all day Saturday and driving through some pretty nasty rain, I noticed the carpet had gotten worst so Sunday I got up early. I looked down in the firewall by the ECU and ABS unit and was horrified to see how many leaves were stuck down in there. Luckily I have air suspension so I set it to Off Road and removed the wheel covers and to my horror this is what came of the drain line hole :O

After I cleared all those leaves out, I had my wife poor water into the drain and saw all the water drain out, but after a few seconds my wife said she could see water droplets dripping down from the bottom of the dash still... WTF!!!

With all the rust I see, I wonder how long its been dripping for...

Luckily I have compressor and blower gun so I was able to blow out all the dripping water and then I used some surround wrap to cover the fuse box and ABS connector

Took the truck to Champion Audi and they said the sunroof drain slipped off the track, which didn't make sense to me because the water was dripping slowly from the bottom of the A pillar where the fuse box cover is...

Of course the service adviser didn't want to hear me talking about replacing all the drains due to the common issues with 07 Q7's and their sunroof drains... I'm really scared to see what will happen in the future and the CPO is only good for one more year... Do you guys think I should call AoA to see what I can do about this?
If you are under the CPO- you need to push hard now for replacement of ALL FOUR drains under warranty. The S/R frame may also need updating. Wait till it leaks in back and your amp gets fried - then you will be really happy....
Old 11-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The service adviser pretty much blew me off, saying we will only replace it if it leaks...

Everyone has said they have had good results with Champion, maybe I do need to speak to a Manager.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eh... it is leaking! Did it slip off because it was blocked and they pressurised the line trying to blow it clear?
The problem with the original pipes was they deformed over time causing blockages. The fact that it "slipped" off must mean something.
Anyway the TSB # is in the spreadsheet and I am curious to know if your VIN is within that range.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately I don't think it's in range, my vin is: 059091
Old 11-05-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then at least you have the later stronger better built sunroof. Not sure if you have the later stiffer better drain pipes though.
Sunroof problems are certainly extending beyond the original VIN range indicating they did not solve the problem at the first attempt. As we are not getting reports from newer models they must have it sorted now. So, why cant they finally sort the 07s once and for all?

There have been cases whereby the blocked drains caused overflow in the sunroof frame. A lack of or breakdown of the seal to the roof allowed ingress. Solution there was remove and refit the sunroof.
The more common problem is overflow through the vent pipe at the top where water is not supposed to ever get, solution: clear the drains.
More or less teh same problem is when the blocked drain pipe causes water to back up into the frame and then it just weeps out of a poor connection between drain and frame. Solution replace connection clips and of course clear the drain pipes.

Rant
Hey Audi I should not have to keep writing this. You should have fixed it by now! I guess you are just hoping enough time goes by that we will forget the 07s and start paying for it like it is a new problem.
Internet baby INT-ER-NET.
If you want it to be our problem you need to put a note in the handbook saying keep your sunroof drains clear and show us how. But that is like saying you know there is a problem in the 07s right?
End of rant.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Another leak

Q 7 sunroof leak
Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD2
Q 7 sunroof leak
Gee RAD2 you've posted on all threads with sunroof leak, but aren't really saying what your problem is. Are you trying to sway public opintion? Why don't you talk about your issue like a man?