A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC flap: Location, location, location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC flap: Location, location, location?

Can anyone tell me the location of the 'Airflow flap motor -V71- [fresh air intake]' flap/motor? My guess is passenger side behind the glove box - anyone confirm?

Vag-com is saying that this flap is way off the target of 190 target. As a result, I am unable to get fresh air into the cabin. For now I have to run the climate control in recirc to get any airflow. Winter is approaching, and I know the defroster is not going to work, so I would like to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

NOPE .....Under the hood.
You can actually watch to see if vents, under the screen open and close with changes to recirc button on climate control.

Name:  V71.jpg
Views: 27549
Size:  26.5 KB
Old 09-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the pic showing the location. I actually saw a video on YouTube showing the airflow flap (not recirc flap as it is labeled) operating: http://youtu.be/F1qDRsZ-CoI

Crazy Audi engineers had to put in 2 flaps that control fresh air entering the cabin (why not just 1 flap?).

When I set the HVAC to defrost or run the HVAV with 'recirc' off, the blower is actually creating a vacuum and closing the fresh air intake flap. I still think the potentiometer is working because the Vag-com values are in range. It's almost like the flap is loose and freely able to close but not freely able to open.

Has anyone taken apart this flap? Not sure how to go about fixing this without ordering a whole new assembly.

Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because of the divided driver/passenger choices regarding HVAC settings, they needed two flaps. My uneducated guess.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Because of the divided driver/passenger choices regarding HVAC settings, they needed two flaps. My uneducated guess.
You would think and probably to a degree, but the 2 flaps can not operate independently...they open to the same large intake chamber above the one intake blower motor, which does however have 2 squirrel cage fans mounted at each end....but both of these blow directly into and through 1 AC evaporator and then split though vents in cabin for distribution to each of 2 heater cores and climate zones.
So, it does create an equally powerful airflow to each side and covers a large area of the evap when first entering. Starting with 2 vents, instead of one large one may also be in plac eas a beefier, stronger design (my guess) as well as directed airflow guess.
So, Kneale, probably at least a partial (if not majorly) good guess :{)>
Old 09-19-2011, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aduggs
Thanks for the pic showing the location. I actually saw a video on YouTube showing the airflow flap (not recirc flap as it is labeled) operating: http://youtu.be/F1qDRsZ-CoI

Crazy Audi engineers had to put in 2 flaps that control fresh air entering the cabin (why not just 1 flap?).

When I set the HVAC to defrost or run the HVAV with 'recirc' off, the blower is actually creating a vacuum and closing the fresh air intake flap. I still think the potentiometer is working because the Vag-com values are in range. It's almost like the flap is loose and freely able to close but not freely able to open.

Has anyone taken apart this flap? Not sure how to go about fixing this without ordering a whole new assembly.

Thanks again.
Yes, I've had that apart a couple of times.

The main purpose of the flap function there is the ability to close off outside air for the recirc and pollutant sensing (auto-recirc) functions....thus the "recirculation flaps"

The flap control motor is removable (see drawing/text below)and has to link up correctly to the flap pivot. Your system is probably getting the signal that the flaps are open, so it's not opening the interior cabin intake, causing the vacuum of which you speak. Going from recirc to outside intake is always a 2 step operation.

If you find you need to remove the entire flap assembly, it's part of this AudiPages tutorial...except I remove the windshield wipers and it's plastic/rubber "cowel" (swung to passenger's side w/hoses & wires still attached), to easily access the screws holding the flap assembly down:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...anreplace.html

Name:  Recircflap.jpg
Views: 14633
Size:  130.1 KB
Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the instructions. I have a feeling I will need them.

So I took off the plastic cover just to see how the flap operated. I turned recirc on and off a few times. It seemed to open and close correctly, but I noticed that there is no resistance for me to close it manually. This makes sense because when I hit a bump in the road, the air seemed to stop flowing into the cabin.

I'm not sure what I need to replace. I guess I will need to take it apart to find out - how exciting...
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry to hijack this post and i realize this is not the A4 forum but I have the same / similar issue with an A4 HVAC and although i can find LOTS of guys out there with a similar issue they all seem to be fixed by flushing the core etc.

I have an A4 B6 1.8t with a heat issue... lack there of being the issue! I have read a number of posting in a number of forums but have yet to see the info i need. I have felt the inlet and outlet pipes with the inlet being hot and the outlet being mild. Car operating temp is no prob and although it leaks a tiny bit of coolant (needs to be topped up with a small amount every six months) the pressure in the cooling system seems fine. There is a door / valve that i believe opens and closes to regulate cold air vs hot air which i believe is part of the problem. i can hear it opening and closing a lot while the car is running. sounds like it may be obstructed or what ever. my question is, where is this motor / door located and is it easy to check for obstructions? failing that I [may also flush the heater core as that seems to have solved similar issues for others. Thanx for the help.

Pimpin
P.S. I played around with VAG COM and found an HVAC section which gave me the following codes which I think supports my thoughts on this flap / door

3 Faults Found:

00710 - Defroster Flap Positioning Motor (V107)

41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent

01841 - Potentiometer/Actuator for Temperature Flap: Left (G220)

30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent

00474 - Control Module for Immobilizer

49-00 - No Communications