Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-present

Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
turr520
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 217593

Default Parking Brake Malfunction help...

Hello all, I have a 2011 S4 with only 2000 miles. Last night when I started the car, I got a warning message for "Parking Brake Malfunction" and at the same time the Air Bag light came on and the "Passenger Airbag Off" light came on too (this was with an adult passenger sitting in the passenger seat). I drove the car, everything seems fine. About an hour later, I started the car again, the same warning message/lights came on.

Now the weird part is today I started the car and drove to work, no messages/lights. Everything seems as normal as before last night.

So..anyone had this problem before? Should I still take it to the dealership and had it checked out?

Thanks!

2011 Audi S4 - Prem+, Brilliant Red, DSG, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Nappa leather, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, Stvbek CF Aero Front Lip, DEVAL CF Rear Valence, Hüper Optik ceramic tint.
2006 Porsche Cayman S - Lapis Blue, Bose, 997TT-style wheels, Sprint Booster, HIP clear engine cover, Schild trunk liner, Milltek catback exhaust, CF aerodynamics, BumperPlugs painted interior trims.
turr520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
turr520
Audiworld Junior Member

Ohh...just wanted to add that today I didn't have anyone in the passenger seat. That's the only difference from last night I think. Thanks.

2011 Audi S4 - Prem+, Brilliant Red, DSG, Sport Diff, B&O, Nav, Nappa leather, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, Stvbek CF Aero Front Lip, DEVAL CF Rear Valence, Hüper Optik ceramic tint.
2006 Porsche Cayman S - Lapis Blue, Bose, 997TT-style wheels, Sprint Booster, HIP clear engine cover, Schild trunk liner, Milltek catback exhaust, CF aerodynamics, BumperPlugs painted interior trims.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
rktskicar
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 44443

call your dealer and report this.

Bruce

Stock ECU, 010 6MT Sprint Blue B8 S4. Premium +, Sport diff, B&O
BBS CH, 255/40/18 Bridgestone RE960 AS, Milltek resonated cat-back + DPs

Past:
01.5 6MT ASP Stage 3 S4 (4/01 to 9/09)
rktskicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
vanja026
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 66425

Did you try to engage the parking brake? I had the same issue with my 2006 A6. The message would dissapear, but when i actualy try to engage the parking brake, i got the warning again. Took it to the dealer and they replaced faulty parking brate motor....
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
turr520
Audiworld Junior Member

No I never touched the parking brake before this happened. Then when I saw the warning message I tried and was able to engage/disengage the parking brake with no problem.

I'll drive around some more (maybe also with a passenger again) and see if this problem reappears.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
PsYkHoTiK
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 189837

I had something like that happen where I got the warning on screen and a loud beep/noise (lol I can't remember what). Was sitting at a light and wanted to engage it (car was in neutral) when it gave a warning. I turned the car off and restarted it and the parking brake worked fine. Scanned with VAGCOM and there was a fault code (it's somewhere on this forum). Cleared it and it hasn't come back yet.

Former: 2011 Audi B8 S4 | Ice Silver | DSG | Sport Diff | APR 93 stage II+ V2
PsYkHoTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
ayap
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 42603

It's under warranty, so take it to the dealer so they can check. But if it happened only once, could just be a glitch when turning the ignition on. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turr520 View Post
Hello all, I have a 2011 S4 with only 2000 miles. Last night when I started the car, I got a warning message for "Parking Brake Malfunction" and at the same time the Air Bag light came on and the "Passenger Airbag Off" light came on too (this was with an adult passenger sitting in the passenger seat). I drove the car, everything seems fine. About an hour later, I started the car again, the same warning message/lights came on.

Now the weird part is today I started the car and drove to work, no messages/lights. Everything seems as normal as before last night.

So..anyone had this problem before? Should I still take it to the dealership and had it checked out?

Thanks!
----------------------------------------
2013 Audi Allroad, Phantom Pearl Black, Black Leather
8-Spd T-tronic, Prem Plus, Navigation/Rear Camera, Adv. Key, Sports Package/Paddles

-----------------------------
2006 Atlas Gray A6 Avant (gone, traded-in for 2013 Allroad, farewell)
2007 BMW 328xi Coupe 2Dr Sapphire Black (gone, traded-in for S5)
2008 Infiniti EX35 2WD Black (gone)
2004 Mazda RX8 Gray (gone)
2003 Cobalt Blue Audi Allroad (gone)

ayap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
turr520
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all for your help. I did take it to the dealer. They gave me a Q5 2.0T as a loaner.

I took it in on Wednesday evening. Today (Friday) they told me they won't be able to check it out until Monday so I'm keeping the loaner for the weekend. It's probably not a big deal but I certainly didn't expect to be without my car for so long. :/

Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
Q52011hp
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 221069

Default Q5 - brake jammed on slope

I bought new 2011 Audi Q5 in Feb 2011. Last friday I parked it on a slope at the grocery shop's parking lot. After I put in reverse it starts to roll and the car lost barkes, Even if the geared were changed to park position the car kept rolling backwards and I hit the curb. Luckily no other car was involved and no one got hurt. But what if this happens again.
Did any one else experienced this?
Q52011hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
oaktreelimb
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 166606

FYI about the EPB, if you don't use it for a long time, the warning will come on. Just use it one in awhile.
oaktreelimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2010, 2011, a4, a8, audi, b8, brake, failure, fault, fix, malfunction, parking, q5, s4, system