A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Finally picked mine up... love it... but strange situation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally picked mine up... love it... but strange situation!

Hello all. Finally picked up my A7 today (Prestige, Innovation, 19" sports package, Phantom Black w/ Black). GORGEOUS car!

So, on my way home from the dealer I decide to try the paddle shifters -- they are NOT THERE! I then look at the steering wheel -- it has 4 spokes as opposed to 3? I get home and think they gave me the wrong car so I check the "sticker" that has the VIN with my car's VIN and they match. The sticker has the 19" sport package listed as a $1000 option. I then look at all my sources (brochure, online, dealer printed option sheet) to see if the 19" is supposed to have the 3 spoke wheels and paddles -- it sure does. I immediately called my dealer and ask him if he knew what happened. He said he'd call me back. He called me back and said that none of the manager's had heard of a situation like this. He did say that one other sales person had a similar thing happened and word he got was that Audi was short on supply of the 3 spoke steering wheels and would replace it when they were back in stock -- he said don't quote me on it, just what another sales person told him. He has a call into their corporate contact who will get back to him.

Now, I know I should have checked if the steering wheel had 3 spokes and the paddle shifters but I was so excited and overwhelmed with all the cool tech in the car that I completely overlooked it -- so did my dealer -- and, it appears, so did Audi? I can't imagine this happening or passing QC but it did. Really weird! I did call Audi corporate as well and they said they were shocked and would look into fixing this soon.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I am too comfortable with having my steering wheel replaced if that is indeed the issue -- that is a pretty major component of the car (IMHO) with a lot of things going on with it other than just steering the car. Also, is there any easy way to find out if the car does indeed have the sports suspension on it? Will just have to wait and see.

I will say that the dealership was very good during the sales process and did acknowledge the situation so I am not bashing them at all! I am just amazed that this occurred in the first place. Not sure if I am making a big deal about this but I paid for the option so would like to have it.

Did any one else have this or a similar thing happen to them? Other than this, love the car and the tech. Sweet ride!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GET In Writing! Document everything! Call AOA and conform that what salesperson told you is truth.
They should notify you that they change your order and told you this before you pick up your new car.
Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rbats
Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I am too comfortable with having my steering wheel replaced if that is indeed the issue -- that is a pretty major component of the car (IMHO) with a lot of things going on with it other than just steering the car.
I don't think this is a big deal for dealer to swap.

Also, is there any easy way to find out if the car does indeed have the sports suspension on it? Will just have to wait and see.
Does it have the correct wheels for the sport package you ordered? If the dealer has other non-sport model A7's on the lot, compare the ride height.

Did any one else have this or a similar thing happen to them? Other than this, love the car and the tech. Sweet ride!
Did you change your order after you placed it and before it went into production? When I ordered my 2010 A6, I originally ordered a premium plus w/ sport pkg, but had the dealer change it to a prestige w/ sport pkg a week later. When the car came in, my sales advisor called me to say he'd never seen anything like this in all his years of selling Audis - the car was exactly as I ordered it (Prestige w/ 18" sport pkg + all weather mats), but the window sticker indicated it was a Premium Plus w/ 18" sport pkg, all weather mats, and cold weather pkg (which it did NOT have).
Old 08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hello all. Finally picked up my A7 today (Prestige, Innovation, 19" sports package, Phantom Black w/ Black). GORGEOUS car!

[...]

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I am too comfortable with having my steering wheel replaced if that is indeed the issue -- that is a pretty major component of the car (IMHO) with a lot of things going on with it other than just steering the car. Also, is there any easy way to find out if the car does indeed have the sports suspension on it? Will just have to wait and see.
Congratulations on the new car.

I second the suggestion of getting things in writing.

The main thing I wanted to say though is that you should not worry about the steering wheel getting exchanged, since it's not a major surgery (a harness and a few screws/bolts I guess) and it's done in a few hours at the dealership. You won't ever notice they swapped it out if they indeed will do that for you.

Good luck, and don't let this dampen the enjoyment of your new car too much.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Glad to hear I am not being too **** or making a big deal out of this. I will try and get everything they say in writing from here on out. Funny thing is when I called AOA (corporate), they were super nice, took all my info and promised to get back to me by Friday to "rectify" the situation -- but I got no "case number" or any similar code to "track" the call. I guess I will just see what transpires by Friday. I do have the sticker showing the option I should have and it clearly is not on the car -- plus I didn't sign anything saying I shouldn't have it -- so I know I have some recourse if they don't address this. I am totally giving them the benefit of the doubt though as it is just day one of this "situation".

Will have to go to the dealer to compare other A7's to see if I do have a lower suspension -- hopefully, it is obvious!

And, you are correct -- I will try and not have this take away from my enjoyment of the car as it has been a pleasure to drive so far - one day, I know, but still...
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What next. Audi will give you an iou on seats. First the backup camera and now this. Wait till it wheels and all are shipped with the donuts. Lol.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi ran out of 3 spoke steering wheels. So instead of keeping you waiting, they put in the 4 spoke steering wheel and shipped the car. As you said, the dealer will swap out the steering wheels when available.

As for the sports suspension, do have someone at your dealer check the itemized build list for your car. It will have a code to validate that the sports suspension was included in the vehicle assembly. Also, you can check it via a test drive. The sports suspension makes the car much stiffer than the regular suspension. Drive your car for 10-15 minutes. Then go on a 10-15 minute drive in a dealer car that doesn't have the suspension. You will definitely be able to tell the difference in the ride.

Don't let this minor omission spoil your new A7 experience!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by caesar2011
Audi ran out of 3 spoke steering wheels. So instead of keeping you waiting, they put in the 4 spoke steering wheel and shipped the car. As you said, the dealer will swap out the steering wheels when available.

As for the sports suspension, do have someone at your dealer check the itemized build list for your car. It will have a code to validate that the sports suspension was included in the vehicle assembly. Also, you can check it via a test drive. The sports suspension makes the car much stiffer than the regular suspension. Drive your car for 10-15 minutes. Then go on a 10-15 minute drive in a dealer car that doesn't have the suspension. You will definitely be able to tell the difference in the ride.

Don't let this minor omission spoil your new A7 experience!
Hi Ceaser -- where did you hear about them running out of steering wheels? Kinda strange they didn't tell me about it though like they did about the camera prep. Also weird that the dealer(one of the largest in country) didn't know about it.

The car is really nice otherwise in the one day I have had it. It is a gorgeous car -- not just mine, all A7's.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Ceaser -- where did you hear about them running out of steering wheels? Kinda strange they didn't tell me about it though like they did about the camera prep. Also weird that the dealer(one of the largest in country) didn't know about it.

The car is really nice otherwise in the one day I have had it. It is a gorgeous car -- not just mine, all A7's.
I am not sure what the communication networks are between Audi USA and their dealers, but they seem to be seriously lacking. What is seemingly a small thing to Audi as a corporation, is a big thing to the end customer who paid a lot of $$,$$$ for the car and has an expectation of great service.

I heard about this from the Audi USA sales support organization based in NJ. If your local Audi USA sales support folks are not in the loop, have them contact the NJ corporate sales support guys/ gals.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Totally agree with you on the lack of communcation between Audi USA and their dealers if this is the case. I would probably have waited or picked another car had I known they were going to swap out the steering wheel on it -- something about that just doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy -- factory installed and qc'd car now having a major driving component being replaced after the fact -- I know that it will be done by certified tech's but still -- almost get the feeling that it will be refurbished! I know, I'm ****, but I was also not informed.

Quick Reply: Finally picked mine up... love it... but strange situation!