Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5/A5 cabriolet question: golf clubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5/A5 cabriolet question: golf clubs

I test drove an S5 Cab the other day...very nice. I was wondering if there are any golfers out there who can comment on the trunk space. I've read in some older posts that you can fold down the seats and fit 2 sets in...can you fit in 1 set WITHOUT folding down any of the seats? What if you take the your driver out of the bag? Or do you always have to fold down at least one seat?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Take your clubs to the dealer

They want to sell the car. Take your clubs with you, walk in and tell them you want to check to trunk for fit. They will be happy to let you doit/help you do it. This is the best way....no guess work involved and it no longer is someonelse's opinion.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes my clubs in a carry/ stand bag with an R9 driver fits diagonally in the trunk of my s5 cab without the seats down. Have plenty of room for my gym bag and a case of beer! But I agree with the other poster, take your clubs and try it, your bag may be different
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My experience

It's easiest to fold one seat down, and I even find it easiest to load the clubs from the backseat into the trunk area as my bag is a little fat and sometimes pushes up the roof collar when the roof is down (or even when the roof is up, and if it is not fully released, this prevents the roof from opening). I also find it easiest to take my long driver out of the bag if I'm not folding the seats down and simply place that one club separately on top of or next to the bag. But yes, the bag fits with the seats up. One of the reasons I chose this car is the ability to handle golf club plus 4 total passengers with the roof down. And therefore this is one of the reasons why the Infinity and BMW convertible options didn't make the cut. Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I have an A5 coupe, but my bag/clubs fit fine latitudinally in the trunk without folding the seats. The club heads rest in the pocket on the passenger's side. I do remove my driver however due to shaft length. I have an Audi-TaylorMade stand bag btw.

If driving with a partner I fold down the driver's side rear seat and pile one bag atop the other longitudinally in the trunk.

Last edited by Huey52; 07-29-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm a little late to the game with this topic but having just tested it myself I'll just add my thoughts.

I can fit my Callaway bag in the trunk though I need to remove all my drivers/woods and put them in beside the bag (it just won't fit if inside the bag). Even then, I found the trunk a bit squished and would have had to put other stuff inside first (so behind the golf bag) to fit it all in.

Theres no chance of fitting two golf bags in the trunk without putting down the seats.

And if you had to put two golf bags in, I'm pretty sure you'd have to put down both back seats and not just one. If someone could confirm this that would be great, as I'm going on a golf trip shortly and want to know if I can fit two golf bags but three people (assuming one doesn't have a bag) or whether that's just out of the question.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

^ I already cited that you need only put down one side of the folding seats (the 40% is adequate) and pile one bag atop the other.

I only need to remove my driver when putting a solo bag across the trunk space.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^
I'm guessing trunk space in the Cab and coupe are pretty different due to the top.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good point. There may be a low overhead situation in the Cabrio trunk that precludes stacking of bags on one side. But wouldn't that only be with the top down? It's a rag top and not a retractable hard top.

Originally Posted by jab23
^^
I'm guessing trunk space in the Cab and coupe are pretty different due to the top.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Good point. There may be a low overhead situation in the Cabrio trunk that precludes stacking of bags on one side. But wouldn't that only be with the top down? It's a rag top and not a retractable hard top.
Yes, when the top is down, the top part of the trunk is unusable due to the roof being held in the compartment there. I think that precludes stacking one bag on top of another through one half of the back seats.

My question is whether an alternative might be pushing the one bag longitudinally through one side, and then putting the second bag latitudinally in the trunk? That would allow a third passenger to sit in the back seat... but not sure if that's just way too aggressive or impractical.

Quick Reply: S5/A5 cabriolet question: golf clubs