A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 A8L W12 up for sale - Happy with Audi but moving to a utility model

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLD - 2007 A8L W12 up for sale - Happy with Audi but moving to a utility model

UPDATE: SOLD - See post linked below
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=15

Hello fellow D3 owners and enthusiasts. After a month of deliberation, I have been persuaded to put my 2007 A8L W12 up for sale.

Unlike the recent threads of two discontent owners on this D3 forum, I have been very pleased with my W12 as it has been performing and functioning perfectly in every capacity.

We are looking to sell it and purchase one of Audi’s SUV offerings. My parents purchased a cabin in the Fallen Leaf Lake/South Lake Tahoe area earlier this year and it would be nice to be able to tow my brothers boat when he’s not using it. Not to mention our common hobbies and passion for the outdoors will be better served by of the SUV models.

I've always been partial towards the Allroad but unfortunately Audi chose to discontinue it in the US after 2005. Our next Audi will likely be a Q7, possibly a Q5, and if I can confirm they can confidently tow a skiboat we may consider the new Avants. We briefly considered a Ford Flex and also attended several European car events to consider other European makes. I like the Audi cars more than any other brand and the Audi enthusiast culture is like no other. We recently joined Audi Club of North America Golden Gate Chapter. I wish we could keep the W12 and justify buying a second Audi but unfortunately we are not there yet.

Chances are very slim that anyone on this board is in the market for a D3 W12. The main reason I’m posting this here is to seek the advice of my fellow forum members. I was also hoping some of you could throw in your $0.02 as to where best advertise my car for sale.

The obvious avenues are the major online sites, i.e.; cars.com, autotrader, ebay (which is where I saw my W12 for sale initially). Does anyone have any thoughts about advertising in the DuPont Registry or other exotic car magazines, or is there some other specialty luxury car sales outlet I’m not aware of?

Last edited by ModestW12; 01-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

For those that are curious or by chance happen to know someone looking to buy a D3 W12.... (photos at bottom of post)

2007 A8L W12

Current Mileage: 46,970 miles
Exterior Color: Brilliant Black
Interior Color: Black/Amaretto

Engine: 6.0L W12, 12 cylinders, (joining of two narrow-angle 15° VR6 engines at an angle of 72°, non-FSI so no carbon fouling issues, chain driven so no timing belt service or concerns)
Horsepower: 450 hp @ 6200 rpm
Torque: 428 lb-ft @ 4000-4700 rpm (with 406+ lb-ft available between 2300-5300 rpm)
Transmission: 6 speed Tiptronic automatic, includes paddle shifters and a Sport mode for more aggressive shift points and downshifting
Drive: Quattro permanent all wheel drive
Suspension: Adaptive Air Suspension (4 modes: dynamic, automatic, comfort, & lift. Self-leveling front and rear keeps the A8 in steady equilibrium regardless of load)
Weight/Frame composition: ~4705 lbs. / Audi Space Frame, all aluminum frame results in improved handling and acceleration.

0-60 Acceleration Time: 5.0 seconds
Fuel Economy - City (EPA estimate): 15
Fuel Economy - Highway (EPA estimate): 21 (I've confirmed 22 mpg on several longer trips)
Fuel tank capacity/Max. range: 23.8 gallons / ~500 miles

Original MSRP $137,300
Options list/pricing breakdown:
• 2007 A8L W12: $119,350
• B&O Sound System: $6,300
• Full leather upgrade: $3,900
• 20" 7 Double Spoke wheels: $3,200
• Adaptive Cruise Control: $2,100
• Solar Roof: $750
• Gas Guzzler: $1,700
• 4 seat configuration: $0
The ONLY 2007 option that this car does not have is the rear seat refrigerator which CAN be retrofitted (I have the retrofit instructions/documentation). However, the fridge mounts in the center of the trunk behind the rear seats. Thus, not having it frees up a big chunk of usable space deep in the trunk.

The W12’s include many D3 A8/A8L options standard, some are exclusive to the W12:
• LED daytime running lights (exclusive to the W12's, S8's and the rare 2010 A8L's)
• Power side sunshades (operation from roof panel and driver window controls, ex)
• Rear seat entertainment screens in front headrests and 6 disc DVD changer in trunk, remote control, 2 aux inputs and headphone jacks
• Paddle shifters
• Power rear sunshade
• Power door close assist
• Keyless entry and start
• Heated front and rear seats
• Heated steering wheel
• Ventliated and massage front seats
• 4 zone climate
• Rear power reclining seats with power lumbar
• Alcantara headline
• Bluetooth telephony (standard after 2005)

Maintenance Histroy (I have all records since my purchase and any Audi dealer Service Advisor can bring up the rest):
• Covered by AudiCare prepaid maintenance since new, every service preformed ontime as documented in CarFax
• Always serviced at a major Audi dealer (full history available from Audi SA)
• I’ve also taken it to an independent Audi repair shop for an inspection to make sure my Audi dealer was not hiding any issues to skimp on the warranty.

Warranty:
• It has always been and still is under warranty, with no gap in coverage.
• It was covered by Audi’s 48 month/50k mile factory warranty until February of this year.
• It is currently under a 48 month/48k mile extended platinum warranty purchased from my Audi dealer since July of 2010. It still has 37 months or 44k miles of coverage left. Audi branded through Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc. Everything covered except what is explicitly stated, $100 deductible, fully transferable and pro rate refundable, remaining coverage currently valued at $3,800.

Miscellaneous/background information:
The car has absolutely zero problems, no funny noises, no leaks, all components and modules (drivetrain, suspension, environmental, interior electronics, or otherwise) function fully and perfectly. Everything works as designed. This car has never had a mechanical problem.

In the past, there was a funny noise coming from the steering column once that turned out to be a the wiring of the integrated radar detector rubbing on the steering column that has since been corrected at the dealer. The trunk latch was replaced by the dealer with an updated design as a proactive measure, even though it never stopped working, it just opened very slowly (this was a common and know problem for early D3's). Finally a front vent heading component was replaced by Audi and has since been working perfectly.

There are very minimal signs of wear on the exterior and interior. In my opinion it looks as if it was a newer model than 2007 based on wear. It does have some tiny paint nicks at the front of the hood from highway driving. The wheels have no curb rash but do have minor surface scuffs visible only up close .

The brakes pads and the tires are approaching end of life but are still within usability specs. The pad wear warnings have not come on yet. I will obtain more exact figures and update as soon as I can. The next scheduled maintenance (55K minor service) is coming up as well, due to elapsed time rather than mileage (it's only halfway there mileage wise).

I own a condominium bordering the heart of the Sacramento downtown business district and work at a law firm a few blocks away so this car has been strictly pleasure use and never to commute in. My girlfriend of two years has the dream commute (or lack thereof) and works at an investment office across the street from our condo. For short jaunts in town and occasional errands we use our Scion grocerygetter. And besides the occasional dinner out or a pleasure trip on the weekends, my W12 spends most of the week hibernating in my condo complex’s private secured underground parking garage.

The following valuations were obtained on 6/2/2011. Please keep in mind this car would price out the same against another 2007 W12 model without any of the following options:
• B&O Sound System: $6,300 MSRP
• Full leather upgrade: $3,900 "
• 20" 7 Double Spoke wheels: $3,200 "
• Adaptive Cruise Control: $2,100 "
• Solar Roof: $750 "

KBB.com
Retail $63,845
Private excellent $59,945
Private good $57,045
Options selectable in valuation:
• Adaptive Cruise Control
• MP3 (Multi Disc)
• Backup Camera
Does not account for:

Nada.com
Clean Retail $58,350
• Bose Premium Stereo
• Power Sunroof
• Air Suspension
• Sport Package
• Navigation System
Does not account for:
• Adaptive Cruise Control: $2,100

Edmunds.com
Dealer $65,181
Private Party $59,537
• Leather Seating
• Fullsize Non-Matching Spare Tire
• 20 Inch Alloy Wheels (upgraded)
• Leather Shift **** Trim
• Leather Steering Wheel Trim
• Heated Steering Wheel
• Adaptive Cruise Control
• Solar Sunroof
Does not account for:

The below photos are of my actual car, plate photoshopped of course
Attached Images      

Last edited by ModestW12; 06-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, your car looks identical to mine, except I am missing 4 cylinders.

I have been hearing lately that Carmax is giving great money if you go and sell to them. I would post on eBay and Craigslst and make sure that you post ALL the above information, and post at least 15-20 pictures. There is nothing more annoying that finding an ad with almost no info. I am sure you will get someone to bite, especially if you price it competitively.

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers

Edward
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default AutoTrader + Craigslist + ??EBay??

Having looked for cars in the past online, I would say AutoTrader had the best coverage and more ads. More ads makes me more interested as a buyer.

Ebay is debatable to me. I notice a lot of dubious stuff on E Bay--suspicious history, endless junk ads of course that can make it harder to sort--search on W12 generically for example and we now get the same plethora of HID and other crap ads that most any other car search generates, until you sort down to vehicles only. Read this board for that matter; more than a few times over the years ads have gotten critiqued and in some cases outed as having something pretty wrong. I'm also dubious about interstate selling and buying myself, and my instinct is EBay is somewhat more in that direction. Since you are in Sacramento, you are in a metro area for starters at least. Having said this, I actually originally spotted my car on EBay advertised by the dealer (Rector)--the first time the dealer apparently did an ad for that matter. I then used the info to approach them directly w/out even mentioning the ad.

I would definitely make sure to cover the SF Bay Area w/ your ads (where I am), since that is 5-10X the buying size of your Sacramento area. Craigslist is a no brainer probably too, but you would want to refresh your ad every few days or it ends up pushed down the list too far. Given your locale, you probably want to cover several separate Craigslist areas--the Sacramento Valley locales, SF Bay Area and maybe Tahoe/Northern Nevada.

Stay tuned for a picture I may post early next week relevant to the content of your ad about boats and Audis.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-03-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this URL on Quattroworld for someone looking to buy a D3.

What a beautiful "Transporter" W12 A8L. If I didn't have my S8 I would be calling you!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm disappointed that I don't have the coin to pick this one up.

Having read your posts over time ModestW12, I know how much this beauty has been loved and cared for.

I'm just going to have to be happy with the one I have, even though it is short 4 holes, as tashakes points out.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
I'm disappointed that I don't have the coin to pick this one up.
Ditto.

I'd buy sight unseen based upon the character of the owner.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you everyone for your advice and for the kind words.

I have not had the time to place the ads yet as I have been unusually busy with work and family this week. I will admit that I'm also not looking forward to selling this car.

The D3 W12 is such an amazing car. It is perfect in its blend of comfort and performance, wrapped throughout a chassis that creates a beautiful and timeless masterpiece. As was mentioned in another thread, I agree that it is a better looking car all around than the D4. Audi needed to only update the interior technology and subtle exterior cues, perhaps update the grill to the D4 style, touch up the existing LED tail lights with a taper or a narrowing halfway through, etc., and the car would be ready for the next generation.

We do need and want an SUV/utility Audi because it will allow us to do a lot of things we can't now but what makes selling this car so hard is two years from now we wouldn't need to. My girlfriend is a year and a quarter away from her Master's at UC Davis, her promotion is around the corner, I just got mine...

Anyhow, enough of my whining, here are some fun photos we took of the car in preparation for the ads.
Attached Images      

Last edited by ModestW12; 06-10-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm taking the car this weekend to get detailed into sale ready condition and we'll be snapping exterior and interior photos. I also have 60+ photos from when I originally bought the car so I'll post a link as soon as I get those uploaded on flickr or photobucket.
Attached Images   
Old 06-10-2011, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, I don't know how you can bring yourself to separate with this car. This is the prime example of a D3. If I wasn't such a cheap *** I'd inquire further but I'm a cheap ***!

Quick Reply: 2007 A8L W12 up for sale - Happy with Audi but moving to a utility model