Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Who wants a trailer hitch? There is now a better option available.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09mehashaw
Check this DIY out big guy:

13 to 4 pin adapter DIY
Thanks for the DIY. I was going off the one from allroadfaq. I'm pretty sure I need to swap a couple wire around. The allroad faq image show pin 5 & 6 were pin 11 & 9 are located on the adapter. I'm towing my quad tomorrow and will find out which one is correct. Im betting on the one you just posted because it is more detailed. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jay_cat
Im betting on the one you just posted because it is more detailed. Thanks.
Any time big guy.
Hope it works out. If you have any tips, post here.
I'm making one of these soon as well.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After putting those parts together about three times, I found it easier to get 'er right by just checking continuity with a multimeter.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback Jason and Jay.

I am working on updating the allroadfaq adapter wiring how-to to make it more detailed and include the pictures from the quattroworld how-to. But I've been too busy lately finishing up this new batch of hitches to get it done. Hopefully I will complete it in the next week or two.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am confirming the drawing on the allroadfaq page shows the outer numbers going the wrong direction. Just ignore the image of the backside of the adapter and place the wires according to the numbered locations. I had to move the red and brown wires this morning.

Justin, I also did not have to cut the corner of my bottom trim to use the hitch. I would say that is optional.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Interested in a hitch

Justin,

I may be purchasing an allroad in the coming months and will be interested in purchasing a hitch. What does timing look like on your next batch?

Thanks,

Lee
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would also be interested in one maybe.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

At this point, I am keeping a list of people who are interested, an when I get enough people (around 10) I will make another batch. I have 4 or 5 already so it's likely in the next few months I will have more of them made. Email me at allroadhitch at gmail dot com if you want to be added to the list.

I revised the hitch design one last time for the 2nd production batch. This allowed me to simply the manufacturing, improve the appearance, increase the safety factor of strength, and lower the cost slightly. So the cost is now $550 plus shipping.

Here are some pictures of the final production hitch.

Last edited by JustMtnB44; 01-20-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Justin,

The 2013 Allroads are here. Where is your 2013 trailer hitch? I've got a dirt bike trailer to pull, bicycles to haul, and with some trepidation, a 270 lb. dirt bike to haul with a Joe Hauler. Your design would solve my allroad problems. It just seems like your old allroad design is close and with minimal mods and a donor car it would be ready to go. No?

If you don't update, I'll just get a westfalia with an extra insert that I'll take to the local welder to make an 2" adapter for bike rack and joe hauler. Does that seem reasonable?

Scott
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ha, I definitely have no plans on producing an A4 allroad hitch anytime soon or ever. I only built the C5 allroad hitch because I needed it myself, but I definitely won't be buying a new allroad in the forseeable future. I'm surprised there are no other options out there right now, but from reading old posts it seems like it took Audi a year or so to start producing the original allroad hitch after the models were released.

If the new allroad hitch is similar in design to the the Westfalia hitch for the C5 allroad, then the ball mount part is cast or forged and machined aluminum so welding a receiver to it would not be straighforward. Bosal uses steel ball mounts on their C5 allroad hitch which would be easier to work with.

Sorry I can't be of more help. But since I only do this as a side project, I don't have enough time to develop another model.

Quick Reply: Who wants a trailer hitch? There is now a better option available.