S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Does Cruise Control use brakes for slowing down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Cruise Control use brakes for slowing down?

I am wondering and I never had a chance to test this at night.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends. If you hold the stalk down it will start dropping MPH in large increments and then yes, it uses the brakes. Just giving it a tap down an MPH or 3 though won't use them.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by helix139
Depends. If you hold the stalk down it will start dropping MPH in large increments and then yes, it uses the brakes. Just giving it a tap down an MPH or 3 though won't use them.
Won't it also use them if you start to pick up speed while going downhill? Feels like it anyway....
Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've noticed something happening on our '06 A6 when going down a long hill with the cruise engaged. I can hear a noise (almost sounds like the ABS pump firing) and then the car begins to slow just a bit. I've experienced it more than once, something is happening in the background, I'm not certain what it is.

I know our previous MBz wagon would actually downshift one or two gears when the car was in over-run and picking up too much speed. I really dis-liked that design. I ended up turning off the cruise control if I could see I was approaching a long downhill section.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawk878
Won't it also use them if you start to pick up speed while going downhill? Feels like it anyway....
If the hill is steep enough to gain enough speed, yes it will.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes 100%. I use mine daily. When going down a steep hill at night I can see the third brake light going in the rear window.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I know our previous MBz wagon would actually downshift one or two gears when the car was in over-run and picking up too much speed. I really dis-liked that design. I ended up turning off the cruise control if I could see I was approaching a long downhill section.
Why do you dis-like this? It is the correct way to maintain a low speed, whether in an automatic or manual.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BobbyJim
Why do you dis-like this? It is the correct way to maintain a low speed, whether in an automatic or manual.
It helps with efficiency to just let the car pick up speed and coast back down to the cruising speed.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawk878
It helps with efficiency to just let the car pick up speed and coast back down to the cruising speed.
Yes, but the car cannot tell how far a hill will go, if there are perhaps curves coming up where it might be dangerous to assume it can go faster than it was set to, etc. It's a car, not a subsitute for a person, so they program it to do the best they can with the availible tech.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyJim

I guess the primary reason was the car was still new to us and the downshift (5 to 4) was quite harsh. In all seriousness, I thought the trans was ready to fail. Then it shifted from 4 to 3 and I was really concerned as I had never witnessed this on any car before. It just wasn't natural. I saw it do it again and again during the time we had that car when traveling on the highway on a fairly steep downgrade. I got into the habit of switching the CC off when I could see it coming.

Also, as blackhawk mentions, it's a waste of energy when the car tries to slow itself.

I wonder if the Germans have something in their regs that mandates this sort of behavior when the car is on cruise ??

xx km/h over set speed = apply brakes

Quick Reply: Does Cruise Control use brakes for slowing down?