A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Akebono Pad Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Akebono Pad Review

I was getting pretty tired of cleaning my wheels only to have them covered in brake dust the next day. Then my front pads started to squeal so even though I had more than 50% of pad life left, I decided to change them out.

I was torn between Akebono Euro Ceramic and Hawk HPS pads. From various reviews I read, the consensus seems to be the following.

1. Akebono is the least dusty and stops fine
2. Hawk HP is less dusty than stock but stops great

I didn't consider Hawk Ceramics because a lot of reviews claimed poor stopping power.

I decided to try Akebonos and ordered them through Tire Rack. I installed them 3 weeks ago and have about 500 miles on them now. By the way, Tire Rack suggests easy braking for first few hundred miles as the break-in procedure.

Front Pads: They have the same clip as the OEM to snap into our calipers. Looks to have the same surface area. No issues.

Rear Pads: They have the same nylon backing as the OEMs. These, however, do not come with new pad clips. You have to clean your old ones and reuse them. The Akebonos have smaller surface area than the OEMs.

Here is my overall impression on performance:

1. Stopping Power: You definitely lose that first bite the OEM's have, but I didn't like that to begin with. It was hard to modulate the brakes in low speeds because OEM pads were so touchy. Akebonos seem softer and smoother when you initally apply the brakes. But when you press the pedal hard, it stops just fine. I did some hard braking after the break-in period and they stopped just as good (maybe even better) than the stock pads. I live in Socal so cold weather is not an issue but I drove in the rain the other and these pads worked fine, even during an emergency braking.

2. Noise: None. As said before, if you apply the brakes gently, they seem very soft and smooth.

3. Dust: This is the best part. There is not dust. My wheels now outlast my paint in dust collection.

The bottom line is I will never go back to OEM pads. They have too much metallic in them and the dust alone is enough to drive me crazy. Akebonos are easier to modulate, less noisy and don't produce dust. The added benefit is rotors will last longer than one pad replacement because they don't have all that metallic particles. I was planning on trying the Hawk pads if these didn't perform properly but I don't see the need anymore. I highly recommend them.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I 2nd this review as I just did my rears with Akebono Pads and Zimmerman Discs a month ago. I know what you mean with the OEM quick bite at low speeds is anoying as hell. Things I was a little disapointed with are, no clips are included and the rears don't cover the all of the discs. I am in cold weather and in my opinion there was nothing lost compared to the OEM pads other than brake dust and the over sensitive braking at lower speeds. I am very happy with the rear pads and will be replacing the fronts with Akebono when it gets warmer.

My fronts are Red Stuff pads changed this past summer but I am not too happy with them. My complaints are noise for the first 2k miles, dust performance is better than OEM but is not as great as Akebono, they don't cover all of the disc area, they somehow don't fit the caliper bracket right and move a round a little when changing directions forward/reverse causing a one time metal to metal click sound.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I put StopTech Streets and Adam's Famous Slotted Rotors on my S6 a month ago and am very happy with them. No noise, easy modulation, and no dust.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phknlwyr
I put StopTech Streets and Adam's Famous Slotted Rotors on my S6 a month ago and am very happy with them. No noise, easy modulation, and no dust.
Same setup here...I'm not sure about the StopTechs yet, but I only have 1k miles on them.. I may try Akebonos next, just for giggles, but the StopTechs are ok. They don't have quite as much bite, but they also don't dust as much...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Informative review, Thanks. I did Pagid OEM compounds front and rear (came with new clips) Yes they are dusty, but after a bad experience with the Hawk Ceramics on my TT, I was afraid to try the Akebonos. For my purposes, it looks like I made the right choice. I can clean wheels, but I like brakes that STOP. :-)
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 PM
gkb
AudiWorld Member

I used to have Akebono on previous car and there amazing. Going to change my stock setup this month same as last time. R1 Premium/Cross Drilled/Slotted/ Akebono Pads. <<Def love this setup!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have akebono in the front and rear. Love them. infact I didn't even feel they had less bite than stock - to me they had same bite. Front was DIY, rear were replaced by indy.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have Akebono and there definitely isn't as much first bite as OEM. It feels like the car is slowing down but it doesn't give you that instant graping like OEM brake (it took a bit to get used to). I was a bit nervous the first few seconds but it only take a few stop signs and red lights for you to realize that the stoping power is definitely there (could be even better than OEM). Overall, it works well with minimal dust.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default adam's rotors

we can set you up with the rotors mentioned no problem...but we ourselves choose to only sport/sell/support STOPTECH and POSI-Quiet performance brake pads with our products, so I cannot speak on the Akebonos...I know their BBK's come factory on alot of our Infiniti customers tho!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

The initial lack of bite went away after the pads were bedded in for a few hundred miles as per spec.

Quick Reply: Akebono Pad Review