A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How to turn Radio off, and still hear Nav?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Default How to turn Radio off, and still hear Nav?

I just picked up my new 2011 A4 Avant Titanium edition (5 days old)... with Nav and MMI...

I see you can turn down the radio volume, or push the volume button to mute the sound. But then I can't hear the Navigation voice commands!

Q: How can you turn the radio off, but listen to the Navigation?

(I am hearing folks say it is impossible to turn off the radio!?!? Do you have to fake it with a non existing media setting?)
Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens if you turn the radio off? (i.e. press and hold the volume button for 2 seconds)? Do you still not hear the Navi? I don't have Navi so I can't tell you.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fender4645
What happens if you turn the radio off? (i.e. press and hold the volume button for 2 seconds)? Do you still not hear the Navi? I don't have Navi so I can't tell you.
if you hold the volume button down you shut off all MMI.. (phone, nav, radio, etc)... that doesn't work.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by a4avant-ti
if you hold the volume button down you shut off all MMI.. (phone, nav, radio, etc)... that doesn't work.
wouldnt turing off all MMI then turning just the NAV work
Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just picked up my new 2011 A4 Avant Titanium edition (5 days old)... with Nav and MMI...

I see you can turn down the radio volume, or push the volume button to mute the sound. But then I can't hear the Navigation voice commands!

(I am hearing folks say it is impossible to turn off the radio!?!? Do you have to fake it with a non existing media setting?)
Hm, I can mute the radio (or CD player) and still get the spoken Nav instructions. I mute the radio with a short press on the ON/Volume button. I have 2G-Nav and B&O 'radio'.

If you press the right roller on the steering wheel with navigation active, is it still silent?
While a spoken instruction is played you can adjust the navigator volume with the right roller. Try a press followed by rolling up to see if there is a separate volume memory for this mode. Also check the general volume menu settings on the MMI.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

You could insert a blank SD card and have the media source point to that. This would then keep all audio 'off' and you'd still have full navi instructions.

IIRC the system will remain on the SD card after getting back into the car.

Hope this helps.

P
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm lost. If I pause a DVD, Jukebox, CD, iPod, etc by dropping the volume to zero then I still get the nav commands.

The Nav has it's own volume level which can be easily adjusted up or down when it's talking (press steering wheel vol up/down to get it to repeat a command).

Simples.... or am I missing something?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Select Media on your control until and do not connect a source. This will allow you to hear the nav without sound playing from the radio.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TP111
Select Media on your control until and do not connect a source. This will allow you to hear the nav without sound playing from the radio.
Control unit**
Old 02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
I'm lost. If I pause a DVD, Jukebox, CD, iPod, etc by dropping the volume to zero then I still get the nav commands.

The Nav has it's own volume level which can be easily adjusted up or down when it's talking (press steering wheel vol up/down to get it to repeat a command).

Simples.... or am I missing something?
Ok.. Tried it again, and that seems to work, sorry for the false alarm... It is just a little odd that you can't seems to turn the radio off. Best you can do is put it on mute. I'll look and see what else I can use to control the nav volume.

Thanks all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to turn Radio off, and still hear Nav?