Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2.0 Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg77
After 9 months and 3 services that didn't solve the problem, Audi finally installed a new engine in my car. I picked it up yesterday and so far things are going well. The 3 previous services were attempts to "fix leaking seals" (one was fixed twice). This did not slow the oil consumption and in fact it was slowly getting worse. Maximum use was qt/780 miles. There was much talk about replacing rings and pistons but the final decision was to replace the engine entirely. Assuming this one works well I will be a happy driver-I love everything else about the car.

It just seems to me that Audi Corp has not really settled on a systematic and rapid way to accurately discern the cause of oil loss and definitively fix it. Their communication is also not very good. I hope they will address this on an organizational level. Would save other owners and their own employees a great deal of aggravation and labor.
wow now thats scary. sounds like my 1984 vette which was a complete disaster
Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is my second A5 TFSI 2 litre Audi. The first burnt virtually no oil. In comparison this one appears to be drinking it! The oil and filter were changed only last week at 8600 miles as I like to look after the engines. The car has covered approx 180 miles since then - 7 days ago and is about 30-35% down on the MMI. This is becoming worrying and although there is no loss of power I suspect that burning large quantities of oil is unlikely to enhance efficiency.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by themac
This is my second A5 TFSI 2 litre Audi. The first burnt virtually no oil. In comparison this one appears to be drinking it! The oil and filter were changed only last week at 8600 miles as I like to look after the engines. The car has covered approx 180 miles since then - 7 days ago and is about 30-35% down on the MMI. This is becoming worrying and although there is no loss of power I suspect that burning large quantities of oil is unlikely to enhance efficiency.
that is terrible. id id them up for lemon law
Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

my salesman told me that ideally, every 2k miles i should add a quart of oil, but it may vary
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm keeping track of when I put oil in. From my last oil change at 15,000 miles I've added a quart of oil each time between 1,600-1,700 miles from the last time I added a quart. This is 3 quarts so far. If this keeps up assuming I add a quart every 1,600 miles I will have added 6.25 quarts prior to my 25,000 mile service. That is more than an oil change. Sometimes I think Audi purposely designed the engine to burn oil to keep fresh oil in the engine.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your comments.
The car is currently under test and the oil level is still dropping rapidly thank goodness. The only question remaining is am I entitled to a new engine. You would think that having a reconstructed one is not as satisfactory as one that never gave any trouble.
Thanks in anticipation
TheMac
Old 08-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car just completed its initial oil test and was judged to be using 0.87 of a litre in 600 miles! I understand that replacement of the crankshaft seal and a crankshaft pressure release valve is now to be undertaken together with software updates and if this reduces the oil usage to half a litre or less of oil over the same distance that Audi will do no more as they consider this an acceptable level of consumption! I will just have to wait and see. The car goes in for repair to-morrow the 9 August.
The Mac
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And a delayed but appropriate update. Took it into the dealer again complaining of oil consumption. They now have a TSB that amounts to replacing the front crankshaft seal and the crankcase pressure valve (which I assume is similar to a pcv). Basically, they are installing updated parts from the 2012.They claim that getting these small motors to get the power they do results in oil burning. They claim BMW and others have the same issue. I have seen other forums where they say this has solved their problem. They also did a computer update.

Next step - if oil light comes on, bring it in and check for consumption out of the norm.

BTW, GTI now with 35,000 miles and not burning a drop.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by inthedirt
They claim BMW and others have the same issue.
BMW has an oil consumption problem with the twin-turbo V8. Never heard of oil consumption with the BMW turbo six.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here's the solution
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/au...tom-wipes.html

Quick Reply: 2.0 Oil consumption