A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Parking sensors suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking sensors suggestions?

My 08 A6 does not have parking feature nor do I really need it. However, for my wife it is more difficult to park, or especially, parallel park this sedan.
I am looking for some sound only parking sensors, something that worth the money and work well. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is it possible to have the sound come out of factory speakers instead of additional sound module like some cheap brands offer? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh man I didn't know it was you. Your car is pretty famous on google when I searched for parking sensors topic
I like your setup but I really don't want to drill any holes in the bumper.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by royclark
When you remove the bumper the hole centres are marked for you on the inside.
Drill a small hole to begin then use a 20mm stepped drill. It really is a very easy job. Alas, that car has been traded in for a 2.7 TDI that has sensors both ends.

Don't go with the magnetic field type ribbon setup, I used this on the front and the detection range is very, very, short (9" at best).

I am still looking into buying these. The question I got, how did run the wires once the sensors were installed in the bumper? How did you get them inside of the trunk? Also did you connect it to reverse bulb? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

THIS WAS DONE ON A RIGHT HAND DRIVE VEHICLE SO IT MAY BE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT TO LHD.

The four sensor wires are run into the trunk through the rubber grommet (shown here - see arrow - through grommet) THIS GOES DIRECTLY INTO THE TRUNK.

It is connected to the reversing light wire. (See arrow marked Reversing light wire) Put the gearshift into reverse then, with a circut tester find the live wire, If its the correct one the test light will go out when you take it out of reverse.

The information is all there if you read the article over several times.
Do you have any instructions (pictures) on how to remove a read bumper for my 08 A6? I bought the COBRA (as recommended by you) but now need to figure out how to take the bumper off. Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Once again thanks for info. This should be very easy now.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Roy,

I am installing the sensors right now. What color is the reverse light? Very hard to see from the picture.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you. I used the test light. Color was the same as yours (looks like it at least) green and black. Got it all done!!! Now my wife can back up safely
Attached Images  

Last edited by audia6s; 03-12-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow real good job ...thats awesome... i assumed it was out of reach for a DIY for me.. *i already have them on rears but eventually may think of a mod for fronts
Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

One thing that I am unhappy about is:
Since my car is automatic, when I place the shift **** into "D" to drive it first skips though "R" (reverse) and because the reverse light activates for just a split second, the buzzer sounds off as well. So I am thinking. What will I need to add into a circuit to prevent the buzzer to activate when the power is only given for a split second. Sort of delay I am talking about. Would it be a resistor, transistor, or... Any electronic gurus out here? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is it because there is an object close behind you when you go to 'D' or does it happen when it is clear to the rear as well?.

My 2008 was an auto, but as I had enough room behind the car before I pulled out of the garage, I never noticed this problem.
That's the thing. Does it even though nothing is behind. Just a quick beep.

Quick Reply: Parking sensors suggestions?