Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Notices

A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
audi777tom
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 203527

Default Cold Start Low Oil Pressure

Today was the first really cold day the car has been in (4 degrees F high). It started fine this morning, however when leaving work there was a very severe knocking and when I hit about 2000 rpm the oil pressure light went on. I immediately stopped the car and thought it was due to the cold. So I idled for another 2-3 minutes and when I started moving it happen again. So I stopped again and checked the oil level, and it is fine. No apparent leaks. So I waited another 3 or so minutes, and took off again. Same thing happened, the oil warning light came on, but I drove through it. After about 2 minutes of driving the knocking decreased and everything seems fine, except it threw a check engine light flag. Is this just a cold start issue I have to be aware of, or something else? After driving for 15 minutes to get home I opened the hood again, and there may have been a slightly louder knock than usual, however it may just be my imagination.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
audi777tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
audi777tom
Audiworld Junior Member

Thought my Sig would show up... 2006 A4 2.0T
Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
240sxRs4
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 205308

The oil pressure light came on cause there was no oil pressure, thats different from having oil. Not good to keep driving a car with low oil pressure, although to be honest damage was prob already done once you heard the knocking noise. I'd suggest bringing the car to a shop, but would not keep driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi777tom View Post
Today was the first really cold day the car has been in (4 degrees F high). It started fine this morning, however when leaving work there was a very severe knocking and when I hit about 2000 rpm the oil pressure light went on. I immediately stopped the car and thought it was due to the cold. So I idled for another 2-3 minutes and when I started moving it happen again. So I stopped again and checked the oil level, and it is fine. No apparent leaks. So I waited another 3 or so minutes, and took off again. Same thing happened, the oil warning light came on, but I drove through it. After about 2 minutes of driving the knocking decreased and everything seems fine, except it threw a check engine light flag. Is this just a cold start issue I have to be aware of, or something else? After driving for 15 minutes to get home I opened the hood again, and there may have been a slightly louder knock than usual, however it may just be my imagination.
Thanks!
240sxRs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
06a4
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 228612

Bumping as this came up in a Search and I experienced the same issue this morning (-20deg Celsius). I turned the car off and it has been sitting since. Plenty of oil.

Plan on getting it towed to the shop later this week - does anyone know what the problem could potential be? Fuel pump?

Thanks,
06a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
RK1967
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 277540

HI,

I have a very similar problem with my A4 2.0T 2007. WHen it is very cold, I have to warm up the car for 8-10 minutes before I can drive it. If I drive it, the oil light will light on.

Did you have a conclusion to your problem ?

Thanks

RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06a4 View Post
Bumping as this came up in a Search and I experienced the same issue this morning (-20deg Celsius). I turned the car off and it has been sitting since. Plenty of oil.

Plan on getting it towed to the shop later this week - does anyone know what the problem could potential be? Fuel pump?

Thanks,
RK1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
audi777tom
Audiworld Junior Member

After that one occurrence I have never had that problem again. I still have the same car a few years later, and this winter has been extremely cold in Chicago. So I am still baffled as to why this happened or what caused it.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Jonboyy055
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 278411

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi777tom View Post
Thanks!
I'd recommend bringing it to the shop. About a month ago this happened to me. It was a cold start and I got down the block when my oil pressure light came on. The engine was straining but I thought it was just the cold. About a mile later I came to a stop sign and the car stalled. Turned out I broke the tensioner, timing chain and blew the cylinder head. Audi A4.
Jonboyy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, a4, audi, car, check, cold, drove, engine, light, low, minutes, oil, pressure, startup, winter