A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 - How to check power steering fluid and replace air filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
.....noooo, only a bit more power.
And they flow plenty more dirt too
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by A8 LOOONG
Eh, you just made an assumption about micro flow and gross particulate filtration. Perhaps the K&N's are better at micro channel short length pathways where paper filters flow air through treacherous pathes instead? Same filtration max defect size but longer, more complex pathes. That would certainly slow flow and be less efficient.
... and increase filtering power, but most certainly not the fuel consumption. It is just as you pressed your gas pedal a bit less. The only way to lower intake resistance and keep same level of filtering is to use bigger filter. Or two of them like S8's and W12's.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the post guys. I just purchased my 07 S8 with 56,000 miles so this is a definite project this weekend. Pictures are priceless. Great help as always on this forum.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The only way to lower intake resistance and keep same level of filtering is to use bigger filter. Or two of them like S8's and W12's.
I'll go ahead and apologize for calling you out as you are a much more senior member of the forum but I had to chime in that this is a very incorrect statement. There are many different design characteristics of material flow (through filters in this case), apart from size, that can provide the means to lower intake resistance and keep the same level of filtering.

I am straining to not go full-blown textile engineer on this topic. ha.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the write up, must get round to checking mine,

On the topic of filters to use the following might be of interest to read when you have 5

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tdawg183
I'll go ahead and apologize for calling you out as you are a much more senior member of the forum but I had to chime in that this is a very incorrect statement. There are many different design characteristics of material flow (through filters in this case), apart from size, that can provide the means to lower intake resistance and keep the same level of filtering.

I am straining to not go full-blown textile engineer on this topic. ha.
No apologies needed at all. Discussing those things is a very good and simple way to learn something new.

So, you are saying that there are better filtering materials than those used in standard automotive filters. Let's see how feasible, economical and useful would be building a custom filter using one of those supreme materials.

By the way, if anybody wants to feel all possible gain from lowering intake resistance just take your filter out and try how much better your car goes (if you can feel or measure any difference).
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default +1

if anybody wants to feel all possible gain from lowering intake resistance just take your filter out and try how much better your car goes (if you can feel or measure any difference).
This was recently suggested in another forum here on AW, the idea being to measure 0-60 times.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, you are saying that there are better filtering materials than those used in standard automotive filters. Let's see how feasible, economical and useful would be building a custom filter using one of those supreme materials.
Ha! and yes, good point, let's not talk the price of said materials.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Do the servo oil need to be changed? I read that the fluid should be a green fluid called green something. But i didnt see anything about how many Liters, do anyone know? And i saw a tip on how to suck it out.

I asked i while ago about a whining sound, and i now suspect it is the steering power, and when turning the steering wheel it feels a little halting.

Have anyone had this problem? and possible solutions
Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexxelax
Hi, Do the servo oil need to be changed? I read that the fluid should be a green fluid called green something. But i didnt see anything about how many Liters, do anyone know? And i saw a tip on how to suck it out.

I asked i while ago about a whining sound, and i now suspect it is the steering power, and when turning the steering wheel it feels a little halting.

Have anyone had this problem? and possible solutions
There is no spec for changing the fluid. Assuming the S8 is pretty much like the W12--the reservoir is in the same really awkward place where you have to take out the driver's side airbox to get at it--I have concluded it is almost impossible to drain. On my prior C5 4.2, I could just suck fresh fluid from a can while pumping out old by connecting to the cooler lines for it, but I see no way to disconnect any hoses on my W12. What I do is every time I have that air box out, I get in there with a turkey baster and suck out as much old fluid in the reservoir as I can.

Yes, your symptoms do sound like the steering/pump. Perhaps just tired. About all I can suggest to do is check fluid level, and with motor running turn the wheel hard from hard left to hard right and back several times. That can help get air out of the system if there is any. Less strain on the system if done with the front wheels are off the ground.

Quick Reply: S8 - How to check power steering fluid and replace air filters