Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Canada Q5 water pump recalled

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Audi Q5 water pump recalled

Apparently, it is true that there is now an official recall from Audi for the water pumps with the plastic impellers. Does anyone know if Audi plan to expand this recall to the US. The US owners here should call up Audi of America to demand a recall, there is nothing relaxing about driving a car that you know will eventually leave you stranded on the side of the road. I will call tomorrow and report back with the result.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-24-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked my dealer yesterday to check for a recall since I drive a lot outside the USA and assistance might not be at hand, he did and said that there IS a recall for the water pump, but my car did not enter in it because it already has the metal impeller. My Q5 was built on 03/10. I live in SoCal (Orange County).
Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Monday, when I went in to repair my water pump, mine fail on Saturday. There were a whole bunch of Q5 for the water pump recall. According to my dealer that is.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Acapulco
I asked my dealer yesterday to check for a recall since I drive a lot outside the USA and assistance might not be at hand, he did and said that there IS a recall for the water pump, but my car did not enter in it because it already has the metal impeller. My Q5 was built on 03/10. I live in SoCal (Orange County).
Can anyone else confrim that there is a US recall for the water pump? I cannot find any info on the internet or the Audi website.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Informative Impeller Video

FWIW, I thought I would post this AW link that appeared in the B5 Forum for those who may not know what an impeller is, what its function is, and what problems face plastic impellers. It contains an interesting video, and yes, it’s a marketing video for reasons to buy their product (I’m not promoting their product BTW). It is simply, posted to inform.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=impeller
Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Just brought my 09 Q5 in for 15,000k service and asked about the recall and he stated that there was no recall for the water pump on mine - some for the 2010's but not for my 09. I said that Audi knows there is a problem with the plastic impellars on the pumps and it seems is a problem just waiting to happen, why can't they be proactive,etc. etc.
I got the expected response of it won't be replaced until/if coolant starts leaking.
Not surprised by the response, but certainly not happy with it either.

Bob

Last edited by bob m; 09-22-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bob m
Just brought my 09 Q5 in for 15,000k service and asked about the recall and he stated that there was no recall for the water pump on mine - some for the 2010's but not for my 09. I said that Audi knows there is a problem with the plastic impellars on the pumps and it seems is a problem just waiting to happen, why can't they be proactive,etc. etc.
I got the expected response of it won't be replaced until/if coolant starts leaking.
Not surprised by the response, but certainly not happy with it either.

Bob
I wonder why Audi recall Canadian Audi Q5 only? Maybe its because of the colder climate. How about the owners up in Alaska?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Got a call from my Audi dealer tonight and there is a USA recall on the Q5 and A6 and I believe others also. Getting mine replaced tomorrow. No leakage as of now with over 7k miles. She said one came in yesterday that lost the pump with only 1k miles on it! The recall was effective 9-16-10
Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyM
Got a call from my Audi dealer tonight and there is a USA recall on the Q5 and A6 and I believe others also. Getting mine replaced tomorrow. No leakage as of now with over 7k miles. She said one came in yesterday that lost the pump with only 1k miles on it! The recall was effective 9-16-10
Is this for all Q5's - even the 09 models?

Bob
Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Dog
FWIW, I thought I would post this AW link that appeared in the B5 Forum for those who may not know what an impeller is, what its function is, and what problems face plastic impellers. It contains an interesting video, and yes, it’s a marketing video for reasons to buy their product (I’m not promoting their product BTW). It is simply, posted to inform.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=impeller
it's not an impeller issue on the B8's. The impellers are metal. The housings are plastic and that is what is failing. That is why the cars are dumping their coolant as opposed to just overheating (like the 1.8t/2.0s with the plastic impeller issues did).

Quick Reply: Audi Canada Q5 water pump recalled