A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1.8T Sludge Settlement

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8T Sludge Settlement

I don't see anyone mentioning this yet, so I will.

A settlement was reached last week with Audi/VW regarding the 1.8T sludge problems. The case number is 1:07-md-01790-JLT, heard in the Federal District of Massachusetts. All of the affected class members should receive information in the coming weeks (or months), but I'll quote the pertinent parts from the settlement agreement:

-----------------------------------------------
I. Definitions

18. a. "Proof" of payment for Engine Repairs and/or Engine Replacements and/or Reasonable Associated Expenses shall mean copies of canceled checks, credit or debit card receipts, and/or repair invoices or repair orders, which documents, singly or cumulatively, show that Sludge-Related Engine Repairs and/or Sludge-related Engine Replacements and/or Reasonable Associated Expenses were made and paid for by the Settlement Class Member, including the date of repair and/or replacement, facility where the repair and/or replacement was performed, and the cost of parts and labor.

b. "Proof" of oil changes and/or maintenance shall mean copies of canceled checks, credit or debit card receipts, oil maintenance receipts from oil change facilities and written confirmations or verifications from oil change facilities which documents, singly or cumulatively, show that the oil change was actually performed using the required oil. For those Class Members who did their own oil changes, Proof of the oil changes and/or maintenance shall consist of receipts, canceled checks, or credit or debit card receipts for the purchase of oil and an affidavit, which documents singly or cumulatively, show the date and mileage of the oil change and proof of purchase of the required oil. Where VW specification 502 00 oil or a synthetic oil certified as complying with VW specification 502 00 oil is required for any relief set forth in this Settlement Agreement, the Proof shall also show such oil was used.

II. B. This settlement class will consist of:

All current and former owners and lessees of model year 1997-2004 Audi A4 vehicles or model year 1998-2004 Volkswagen Passat vehicles equipped with the 1.8 turbo engine (collectively, "Settlement Class Vehicles") imported or distributed for sale or lease in the United States by VWGoA. Settlement Class Vehicles include a total of 479,768 vehicles imported or distributed for sale or lease in the United States by VWGoA.

III. Class Member Rights and Benefits
A. Entire Settlement Class

1. Unpaid Claims: All Unpaid Claims by Settlement Class Members under the existing Eight Year Extended Warranty may be submitted for examination. In order to receive such examination, Settlement Class Members may submit or resubmit their Unpaid Claims to the Oil Sludge Settlement Administrator. Payment for Unpaid Claims will be made as follows:

(a) 100% Payment of Repair Costs: The Settlement Class Member shall be compensated one hundred percent (100%) for Engine Repair and/or Engine Replacement and Reasonable Associated Expenses provided the Settlement Class Member submits Proof that the last two required oil changes prior to the Sludge-related problem or engine failure were performed within the recommended time and mileage intervals, with permissible variance of twenty percent (20%) of the time and mileage intervals.

(b) 50% Payment of Repair Costs: The Settlement Class Member shall be compensated fifty percent (50%) for Engine Repair and/or Engine Replacement and Reasonable Associated Expenses where the Settlement Class Member cannot submit Proof that the last two required oil changes prior to the Sludge-related problem or engine failure were performed within the recommended time and mileage intervals, with a permissible variance of twenty percent (20%) of the time and mileage intervals.

There are some other considerations in there, such as discounted oil changes and an engine sticker, but this is the big one.

The settlement agreement is 23 pages long, and I won't reproduce it all here. All of the associated documents should be available via Pacer, if you have an account there.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll revive this old thread.

I got the letter from audiusa last week. In 2003 my turbo blew in my 1998 A4;

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224593

I tried to get Audi to warranty it, but they refused. I've since sold the A4, but know the current owner and he's going to send me the service records and the old claim which I'm going to resubmit. Couldn't believe they denied it the first time since it was an obvious design flaw with too narrow oil lines and insufficient heat shielding which they corrected in the new turbo.

I'll let you know if I get any coin back, can't hurt to try.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

The settlement is worthless for the average person and Audi knows that. Who honestly keeps a receipt or record of all their vehicle services. I don't even keep that much information for taxes. When I received my letter I threw it out.

One of my most favorite lines in that letter was one hinting towards that fact that given the average persons driving conditions it is suggested that oil gets changed earlier then recommended by Audi. If you do city driving more often then highway driving you should be changing your oil more often then the factory recommended schedule.

So, for those people who want to use high milage oil with change intervals of 10k miles or more, good luck!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just got hammered with a $3900 repair bill for my 2002 A4 which "may" be reimbursed when the final settlement emerges. At the moment, the hearing is set for March 10th,though there may be continuations if Audi protests. My car showed all signs of the sludge issue at the end of last year when my dealership told me to "get an oil change - that should fix it". Just like everyone else, I threw away my oil change receipts, it remains to be seen if I will be reimbursed for Audi's incompetence - I would have willingly used synthetic oil if it had been recommended.

Nice one Audi - you just lost a customer...
Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BritPsych
I just got hammered with a $3900 repair bill for my 2002 A4 which "may" be reimbursed when the final settlement emerges. At the moment, the hearing is set for March 10th,though there may be continuations if Audi protests. My car showed all signs of the sludge issue at the end of last year when my dealership told me to "get an oil change - that should fix it". Just like everyone else, I threw away my oil change receipts, it remains to be seen if I will be reimbursed for Audi's incompetence - I would have willingly used synthetic oil if it had been recommended.

Nice one Audi - you just lost a customer...
Wrong forum, a 2002 is a B6 and since you don't know what car you have I am not surprised you weren't aware of which oil to use.

Synthetic oil along with the big diesel filter have been a recommendation for the 4 cylinder cars for at least 5 years.