A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

trailer hitch on 2010 a4 avant

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer hitch on 2010 a4 avant

Hello,

Am getting a small 14' sailboat that I plan to trailer every once in a while, will normally keep it in marina. Anyone install or get installed a trailer hitch with electrical on their a4? If so what did it cost you?

Was quoted $1100 by rack n road today, when I called on friday, they told me $570. Will call around other places and see.

thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A4 Avant hitch

Originally Posted by ybertaud
Hello,

Am getting a small 14' sailboat that I plan to trailer every once in a while, will normally keep it in marina. Anyone install or get installed a trailer hitch with electrical on their a4? If so what did it cost you?

Was quoted $1100 by rack n road today, when I called on friday, they told me $570. Will call around other places and see.

thanks
I had a Curt installed last week, $350 including wiring. Madison, WI
Old 12-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shiftracer
I had a Curt installed last week, $350 including wiring. Madison, WI
Did you get a C11195 Curt hitch, and do you think it will work on an '11 Avant? I called Curt and they haven't seen an '11 yet.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2011 A4 Avant S-Line needs a Curt Hitch

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
Did you get a C11195 Curt hitch, and do you think it will work on an '11 Avant? I called Curt and they haven't seen an '11 yet.
Did you ever get an answer to this? I have a 2011 Audi Avant S-Line that I'd like to install a curt hitch on.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiRocks
Did you ever get an answer to this? I have a 2011 Audi Avant S-Line that I'd like to install a curt hitch on.
No I didn't, but I bought one anyway and it's on the car.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hitch on a4 avant.

I had mine installed and need to warn you that you have to be careful when pulling out of gas stations or driveways that drop down on to road. I often scrape the hitch on the ground. It does hang very low and bugs the crap out of me. I usually have to turn hard right or left onto main road so as not to scrape. Also have to go real slow out of those, otherwise the bounce will cause it to scrape.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just a word of warning...find someone to install it before you buy it. I was turned down by several installers before I found one to do it, at an estimate of more than $300, which is more than the hitch and lighting kit cost. Since it requires splicing into the wiring, installers are wary of it, and frankly, so am I. So I am returning my hitch.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heresy64
Just a word of warning...find someone to install it before you buy it. I was turned down by several installers before I found one to do it, at an estimate of more than $300, which is more than the hitch and lighting kit cost. Since it requires splicing into the wiring, installers are wary of it, and frankly, so am I. So I am returning my hitch.
This seems unusual. Most aftermarket installations would require splicing into the wires to attach the connector harness. This is usually routine and minor. I have done it myself on two hitches I installed on other cars. The B8 hitch also looks like a simple , no drill installation. Did the installer elaborate?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yannb
I had mine installed and need to warn you that you have to be careful when pulling out of gas stations or driveways that drop down on to road. I often scrape the hitch on the ground. It does hang very low and bugs the crap out of me. I usually have to turn hard right or left onto main road so as not to scrape. Also have to go real slow out of those, otherwise the bounce will cause it to scrape.
Is this the case with no trailer attached also? How about with the drawbar removed? I don't have one yet on the A4, but on my Volvo I keep it with the spare tire until I need to use it.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yannb

I haven't had this experience with mine. So far so good no problems.

Quick Reply: trailer hitch on 2010 a4 avant