Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

rear camera question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear camera question

lately i have noticed when i go into reverse, the screen flickers. it doesnt always happen though. any thoughts? its an 08 Q btw.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same model year as you and never had that... obviously it shouldn't "flicker". Get it checked.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

today i noticed that the camera flickers when going in reverse and i hit a bump at the end of the driveway or just by slamming the door shut while in reverse. in a way i'm glad so i can show the dealer the problem. or else it would be another one of those "unable to reproduce problem" stories from the dealer. perhaps something is just loose under there. either way, thank god for CPO, cuz i just turned 50k
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

so here's an update to this issue. The car finally went into the dealer to get this checked out. Immediatley they insist is an electrical issue because of the DVD's in the headrest. After I told them the vehicle was bought CPO'ed with that equipment already installed and that the problem just started a few months ago, they said they will have the shop foreman look into it.

a few hours go by and I get a call saying they found the problem. Its the harness that goes from the camera to the MMI display, however its not covered by CPO and the cost is $9xx. The vehicle has 52k miles. At this point I tell the lady that the CPO specifically states that electrical items are covered. The service advisor now says, well, electric components are, but not wiring. not too long ago, electrics were not, now components are, but not the wiring. and of course goes back to, well your DVD players must have something to do with it. in addition, she suggests I go to the Audi dealer where I purchased the vehicle. I'm sure her service manager is going to be thrilled that his service advisor is sending work elsewhere.

At this point I had enough of her nonsense and contacted Audi. They are going to look into and get back to me on Monday. I will be picking up the car tomorrow and will be bringing the CPO warranty book that specifically states that wiring harnesses are covered by CPO. First issue with the Q, and already problems with the dealer. Some things never change for VW/AUDI dealers.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98a6quattro
Immediatley they insist is an electrical issue because of the DVD's in the headrest.
Do your DVDs play in the MMI dashboard screen? I don't see how they can make this argument if they are not.

As for wiring, I doubt it, unless you have cut into the camera harness somehow, or if the DVDs have some splice connectors into the MMI dash wiring, there is not a reason for wiring to fail. I suspect a bad camera or MMI interface.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but cpo won't cover that issue.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aggie88
Do your DVDs play in the MMI dashboard screen? I don't see how they can make this argument if they are not.

As for wiring, I doubt it, unless you have cut into the camera harness somehow, or if the DVDs have some splice connectors into the MMI dash wiring, there is not a reason for wiring to fail. I suspect a bad camera or MMI interface.
no... the dvd's are in the headrests. they are not connected to the MMI in any way.

and why would CPO not cover this when the CPO warranty booklet specifically states that electric wire harness is covered? besides, with 52k on the vehicle, I would think Audi would cover it as a goodwill since the problem did not start within the last 2k miles. I simply did not have time to bring it to the dealer.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty sure it also states navigation and mmi components are not covered. are you sure it's a wire harness?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myriadshalaks
pretty sure it also states navigation and mmi components are not covered. are you sure it's a wire harness?
x2. the audi CPO coverage was changed in 2006. it has a shorter list of things covered. one of the items no longer covered is anything that deals with MMI. the other major difference is that it cannot be transferred anymore which doesn't give the car the added value it used to.

this is the reason why i told them to take the CPO off my 2009 and had them take the CPO pricing off the Q7. it is just not worth it anymore.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2PUTT
x2. the audi CPO coverage was changed in 2006. it has a shorter list of things covered. one of the items no longer covered is anything that deals with MMI. the other major difference is that it cannot be transferred anymore which doesn't give the car the added value it used to.

this is the reason why i told them to take the CPO off my 2009 and had them take the CPO pricing off the Q7. it is just not worth it anymore.
I am never a fan of extended warrantys, essentially what CPO is. Especially in this case with MMI outside the coverage. CPO = Car Premium Overcharge. Another dealer margin charge. I recently sold my 07 to a private individual. The dealer would not beat the offer I got because they had to replace the tires to get it to CPO. Huh? CPO does not even cover tires. Tires were about one year old btw with lots of tread left.

Last edited by Aggie88; 10-04-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Quick Reply: rear camera question