A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Easy Front US Orange Reflector/Light Fix for Brilliant Black D3's

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super easy US front bumper light delete for D3 A8's/S8's

Go to your local sign or crafts store and buy some glossy black vinyl adhesive sheets (or tape if wide enough). Cut out pattern about 1/4" inch larger than the edges of the front orange bumper light/reflector required on US spec D3's. Center, adhere, and use a soft rubber spatula or putty knife to insert the extra trim into the crease between the surrounding bumper and the reflector.

This is indistinguishable form the stock Euro bumper trim piece unless you specifically point it out and even then the only difference is an extra vertical line where the covered reflector ends and the black plastic trim resumes.
Attached Images    

Last edited by ModestW12; 08-31-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Edited title for clarity
Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, the pics above are of my actual car with the glossy black tape covering the reflectors.

I'll soon post some higher res close ups from my Canon DSLR.

The big advantage is is costs no more than $20 (minimum order at the shop I went to, $1 worth would have been enough), take about 5 minutes, and it's completely reversible (just peel it off).
Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I know I have an a8 and I love my car. And my friends are all envious and love it as well. But i Have to say I absolutely love you car and am completely jealous of that beast!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Brozee! But maybe you won't be so envious if I leave you with this analogy for my feelings about the W12:
I feel like the ostensibly super lucky guy who's married to a gorgeous, classy, ambitious and spectacular wife (the W12), all the while he must live secretly cursed because he's madly in love with her wild younger sister (a black ext./black alcantara int. D3 S8).
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

what do you suggest for those of us with silver cars? can't we just paint them?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chazertis
what do you suggest for those of us with silver cars? can't we just paint them?
I guess you could but then you couldn't just peel them off if you need to go back to stock. Also, seems like you'd have to have painting experience to get a smooth even coat.

I did notice that the sign shop I went to had lots of different rolls of adhesive vinyl sheets (looked like 40+ different colors from where I was standing). It's worth a try to see if they have a silver like the paint of your car. It would seem like those white and sliver paints would have a pretty good shot at a match.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm actually in need of some silver touchup paint, as my left headlight washer has a large circle of paint missing where a rock chipped it and the rest peeled away. You can see it in my sig if you look close enough. Not only that but also I am experiencing my clear coat is chipping around the audi rings on the trunk. Anyone have a fix for this?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a higher res shot of the glossy black adhesive sheet covering the front orange bumper lights.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
I'm actually in need of some silver touchup paint, as my left headlight washer has a large circle of paint missing where a rock chipped it and the rest peeled away. You can see it in my sig if you look close enough. Not only that but also I am experiencing my clear coat is chipping around the audi rings on the trunk. Anyone have a fix for this?
Paintscratch.com they're in Incline Village, Nevada. God's Country (IMHO). Great mail order service.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I take it that it wouldn't be safe taking your car through a car wash with the tape on there though correct? Looks great though.

Quick Reply: Super Easy Front US Orange Reflector/Light Fix for Brilliant Black D3's