A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bad coil pack causing an engine fire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad coil pack causing an engine fire?

Here's the story. Yesterday morning went to work. Just as I was pulling in car started missing. Oh, yet another coil pack died I thought. Car (2001 A4 1.8 AWM) parked all day. When I got out of work I headed up to the nearest Audi dealer to pick up a coil pack. Maybe 10-12 miles. Car was missing terribly, no power but I limped up to the dealer and bought the coil pack. Instead of swapping out the bad pack at the dealer I headed home. About 3 or 4 miles down the road from the dealer. I start smelling smoke, and then I start seeing smoke. I pull over, pop the hood slowly and sure enough there is a fire located around the top of the catalytic converter. I get my stuff out of the car and my 2 dogs out. Fire dept shows up. There was also stuff dripping from above the rear muffler and burning. It appears the exhaust system got so hot that it started stuff on fire. Fire had been extinguished before the fire truck got there. There was no apparent damage anywhere but around the cat and the rear muffler. Car had to be towed back home

Can the fact that I ran this car on 3 cylinders for about 15 miles have caused some condition to drastically overheat the exhaust system?

Car was running fine the day before (drove 260 miles from northern VT to central MA the night before).
Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schwabe
Here's the story. Yesterday morning went to work. Just as I was pulling in car started missing. Oh, yet another coil pack died I thought. Car (2001 A4 1.8 AWM) parked all day. When I got out of work I headed up to the nearest Audi dealer to pick up a coil pack. Maybe 10-12 miles. Car was missing terribly, no power but I limped up to the dealer and bought the coil pack. Instead of swapping out the bad pack at the dealer I headed home. About 3 or 4 miles down the road from the dealer. I start smelling smoke, and then I start seeing smoke. I pull over, pop the hood slowly and sure enough there is a fire located around the top of the catalytic converter. I get my stuff out of the car and my 2 dogs out. Fire dept shows up. There was also stuff dripping from above the rear muffler and burning. It appears the exhaust system got so hot that it started stuff on fire. Fire had been extinguished before the fire truck got there. There was no apparent damage anywhere but around the cat and the rear muffler. Car had to be towed back home

Can the fact that I ran this car on 3 cylinders for about 15 miles have caused some condition to drastically overheat the exhaust system?

Car was running fine the day before (drove 260 miles from northern VT to central MA the night before).
Where do you think the unburnt fuel from that cylinder with a bad coil pack went?

Thru the exhaust valves and turbo into the catalytic converter which is at around 500F.

Now what's going to happen?

This is why there is usually a "flashing CEL" for coil pack failure which means turn the car off immediately. As in "this is dangerous".

There's a real possibility your catalytic converter is now toast.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well that really sucks...

The fire dept guys probably caused more damage than the small fire. They cut both wires coming from the battery. I could have unbolted both cables in seconds if they only asked (there was no fire at this time). I had a tool box in the car) They also shattered the drivers door window and yanked the inside drivers door panel off. Claimed they thought they saw smoke coming from inside the door (there was none).

So what's the lesson here?

If you own an A4 make sure you have AAA for towing.

Always and I mean always, carry a couple of extra coilpacks in your A4

Carry a fire extinguisher in your A4.

Never ever drive with a bad coil pack.

Try not to let the fire dept guys get near your car if you can avoid it...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about not driving a car with a flashing CEL. Read your manual. Means "DANGER"

All cars are like this not just Audis.

What you did was incredibly reckless, imagine if you had parked your car in a garage in your house.

Would you also drive with a flashing oil light or temperature light for 15 miles. How about the fluid level on the brakes?

9 year old cars break down, expect it to happen. I drive old cars too including an Audi, Ford and a Lexus.

My daughter had this happen one Sunday morning about a year ago on her A4. She pulled over and parked the car immediately.

We replaced the bad coil pack the following morning total out of pocket $53.

You could have done that too.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick
How about not driving a car with a flashing CEL. Read your manual. Means "DANGER"

All cars are like this not just Audis.

What you did was incredibly reckless, imagine if you had parked your car in a garage in your house.

Would you also drive with a flashing oil light or temperature light for 15 miles. How about the fluid level on the brakes?

9 year old cars break down, expect it to happen. I drive old cars too including an Audi, Ford and a Lexus.

My daughter had this happen one Sunday morning about a year ago on her A4. She pulled over and parked the car immediately.

We replaced the bad coil pack the following morning total out of pocket $53.

You could have done that too.
Gee Dad, thanks for the lecture...
Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by schwabe
Always and I mean always, carry a couple of extra coilpacks in your A4
I thought all 2001+ A4 1.8t owners knew that one, I know A4 owners that carry a full set in their trunk.