A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Coolant temp sensor location 03 A6 2.7T ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp sensor location 03 A6 2.7T ?

Hi all, I am new to this forum and would like to know where exactly the Coolant temp sensor for 2003 A6 2.7T is located. Also where is the Auxilary fan control module at? my fans are not working but jumping 12v power from the battery they work fine. The voltage from this controller is only 9.5v thats why I think its this controller. Thanks for any help
Brad
Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Found it and replaced it
Old 07-03-2010, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good info. where'd you find it?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
good info. where'd you find it?
Its on the rear passenger side of the engine just below the cam position sensor. You have to remove the flexible intake hose to get to it and a long skinny flat tip screw driver will be a huge help.

FYI I bought mine from the VW dealer they had the same part for $20 less than the audi dealer.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bradw
Hi all, I am new to this forum and would like to know where exactly the Coolant temp sensor for 2003 A6 2.7T is located. Also where is the Auxilary fan control module at? my fans are not working but jumping 12v power from the battery they work fine. The voltage from this controller is only 9.5v thats why I think its this controller. Thanks for any help
Brad
Where are you measuring the output? Is it off the A1 and A2 plugs of the control module?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its on the rear passenger side of the engine just below the cam position sensor..
Hey Brad

I am also in need of replacing my sensor as my guage starts acting flaky every now and then. I haven't done mine yet as I still need to get my Bentley reinstalled and I found two of those on the back of the head, one on the drivers and on on the passengers. What was you issue for replacing? That might tell me which one to do... lol

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issues as you are having. After a few hours of research the sensor on the drivers side is an after run sensor. but I haven't found out anymore than that. There are 2 sensors on the back of the passenger cylinder head the first one you see is the cam position sensor the one just below and to the right as you look at it, is the coolant temp sensor. Didn't even take me 5min to remove and install it once i found it. Also go to the VW dealer to get it, it's much cheaper there.

Originally Posted by massboykie
Hey Brad

I am also in need of replacing my sensor as my guage starts acting flaky every now and then. I haven't done mine yet as I still need to get my Bentley reinstalled and I found two of those on the back of the head, one on the drivers and on on the passengers. What was you issue for replacing? That might tell me which one to do... lol

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Didn't even take me 5min to remove and install it once i found it. Also go to the VW dealer to get it, it's much cheaper there.
Awesome thanks!

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Some tips on replacing sensor. Get a bright light. Remove the 3inch diameter air supply flex hose on the passenger side rear of engine. The sensor is underneath it down low. Mine had a little red coolant to mark the spot. get a short small screw driver to pop of the electrical connection. There is a small square hole on the side below the slotted top - reach into hole with driver and lift tab - you may hear a click - lift connector off. Open the fluid resevoir cap to relieve pressure and close it up again. Have the new sensor and o-ring ready. Use a screw driver to pop off the c-clip retainer and gently remove old sensor (it actually may need a little wiggling and tugging) remmber to put in new o-ring - push new sensor in - make sure it is seated with a good push - put on new retainer clip reassemble and drink a beer. Hardest part for me was getting the electrical connector of - I broke mine to sacrifice for your knowledge.