A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem after changing transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem after changing transmission fluid

At 66k (2002 S8) I just changed the fluid and filter per the recommendations I found here. I was not having any problems before the fluid change, but immediately after the fluid was replaced the tranny now makes a low whining sound as it gets ready to shift from 1st to 2nd and it may be slipping under redline shifts. Why would I be having issues after changing the fluid? Is it possible as the new fluid wears in the problem will disappear? I also had them double check the fluid level and it has the proper amount of fluid.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Old Audi Owner

Who did the fluid change? What kind of fluid? Did they follow the service manual excactly? Sounds like it's low on fluid to me. Noise could be cavitation. It's really important that the fluid is up to temp when checking. Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It was done by a top Audi tech (Audi fluid was used) and when he first replaced the fluid there was a concern that the tranny was still too warm to get the right fluid level reading (I drove the car and left it with him for about 5 hours). I heard the noise immedialtey and suspected it was the fluid level, so I brought it back a couple of days later when I was able to leave it overnight so the level could be rechecked at the proper temp and it ended up taking maybe another 1/2 quart. I had hoped that would be the end of the problem, though so far the noise continues (it's just the first day since adding the additional fluid). At this point I'm hoping for the best, but certainly interested to hear anyone elses experiences.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Old Audi Owner

Did the correct filter get used? Is it deep enough to pick up the fluid was the o-ring on the filter installed? Was the old o-ring removed? Just trying to think of possible causes.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I pretty certain that the proper filter was used and that the correct procedure was followed replacing the fluid. It was performed by one of the top Audi Techs in the country (received numerous awards from Audi), so I would be surprised if it was done incorrectly. He did warn me about changing the fluid, and now I'm thinking I should have listened.

After digging through some older posts on this site, it seems I'm not the first to experience problems after replacing the fluid. I saw one post which decribed the same type of whining sound after changing the fluid, very similar to what I decribed, which later led to bigger problems.

What are my options from here? I guess drive it awhile and see if it starts acting up? While it still shifts smooth and doesn't seem to slip under normal driving, I'm pretty certain it slipped under a full throttle redline shift. I'm kind of scared to pin it again however....

I'm wondering if this will end up having to rebuild - is there much money to be saved not waiting until it gets much worse? No I don't have a warranty. This is my third A/S8 (had one of each prior) and the warranties always went to waste in the past.

I know most on this site want to take top care of their car, but I'm starting to believe there's something to be said to leave well enough alone!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Old Audi Owner

There is no advantage to not servicing your car. Something had to have been done that caused your issues or else maybe it's always done this and you're just hyper vigalant ( not an insult, I do it all the time). If it really is having issues and everything was done correctly, it probably had issues before. Sorry I can't be more help. Sorry
Old 05-24-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wrong filter was used. It is for an older A8. You need to remove the pan and cut 1/2" off of the filter's pickup pipe. It is too close to the bottom of the pan. Don't drive the car until you do this or you will blow the second gear for sure.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or run it till it dies and have Tozo replace it with a manual.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Interesting. Someone else posted something similar (I think Paul W) re the pickup neck being too long. He suggested it doesn't even have to be the wrong part number, but some of them simply have a pick up tube which is too long. The dealer claims the filter was ordered based on the VIN of my car. Are there two different part numbers?

I think I'm going to have the dealer drop the plan and check the neck length. How long should it be? Can they measure the length or the distance from the bottom of the pan to confirm that this is the issue? I doubt the dealer is going to feel comfortable doing this type of modification and cut the filter neck if the right part number was used.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Greg,

Audi used two different size pan. The older ones are 10 mm deaper. Yours is a shallow pan and the filter pipe is too close to the bottom. I don't know if the dealer willing to cut the pipe, but I know for sure that is your problem. Sometimes you can even see it inside pan (a slight residue ring forms under the pipe). The whole valve body is submerged in fluid so cutting the pipe shorter will not harm anything. The BMW uses the same trans and their filer don't have any pipe just a hole on the bottom. I rebuild these transmissions.
And I've seen it too many times that the trands was starving for fluid because of the pan being too close.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: problem after changing transmission fluid