A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

dipping HID lights and other problems + video link

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dipping HID lights and other problems + video link

Hi All!
Let me tell you my story!

It all started this past October of 2009. The Bi-Xenon headlights (HID) of the 2006 audi a4 b7 starting to flicker once in a while. At first I thought that it was me and my eyes were seeing things, but a couple of nights after the first encounter I was in for a shock. While driving home from work on a well populated dark highway, I suddenly experience the flickering, followed by the passanger headlight sutting down. At the same time I was informed by the information display that the headlight dipped. Dipped? what should that mean to me? The light was definitely off and I felt unsafe. HID lights are great, but if they fail, you are in for an experience. I left the highway at the next possible exit to check from the outside what was going on. The light was definitely out. As the car needed gas, I drove to the next station and turned off the car. When I turned the car back on, the light worked again. I realized at that moment it could not be the bulb, it must be something internal. That night I made it safely home and directly schedualed an appointment with the nearest audi dealer. When I took the car to the dealer I stated three problems that I had experienced with the car. The first was that the car was not starting straight away in the morning, the second being that I felt a strong jerking after shifting gears (I have a manual, it is after i have relased the clutch and have already been driving for a few seconds), and the third, the dipped headlight warning. Surprisingly, none of the problems were able to generate a fault code. What I find to be outrageous. I saw the dipped headlight, the display indicated it and no evidence. I feel that my concerns were not addressed with the proper level of concern, primarily the dipped headlight issue. The service representative made it seem that they never heard of any of these problems before. At this point I was left with my own engineering interest in the problem, so I searched the world wide web. You are never alone. I discovered that there are hundreds if not thousands complaining about the same issues. In the weeks following my initial visit to the audi service center, I looked into the concerns of other audi owners who reported similar problems with their car. Most of the owners seemed to have run out of warranty so the issues were never addressed. I carry a warranty that is in full effect, so I wanted the issues remedied.
In the days to come I experienced a few flickerings at night, some outages of the left or the right xenon headlight, and almost everyday a cold start problem. Question was, how to present the problem to audi? Of course! There is an app for that and it really worked well for the cold start problem. I recoreded my morning cold start every morning on camera and finally in January 2010 I went to a different dealer than previous to present my evidence. At this point there was no arguing the situation. The service representative was able to hear and see that the car had problems to start in cold weather, I had about 20 videos (only the worst cases) recorded. I also mentioned that I learned that the coil packs, which needed replacement anyway, or the reprogramming the ECM with a newer version would help the problem. At this point I also advised the dealer to look into certain technical service bulletins in regards to the xenon headlight problem. I had no evidence of that since it was never secure to keep the headlight off and just pull over to make a video of it. Audi addressed the cold start issue as I had informed them of. Interesting that the customer needs to do the research. In the case of the headlight problem, no error was found and it could not be addressed at that time. I addressed my concerns to the service person that it would be unsafe to drive with only one light since the viewfield is strongly decreased. The answer that I got was astonishing, I was advised to come in with the headlight out. Apparently, it would be the only way for Audi to diagnose it and to address this issue. Not only is the dealer suggesting I break the law, but to put myself and others in danger by driving with only one light. Obviously, I did not feel comfortable with his suggestion and left the dealer with a very disgusted opinion. Two issues were at this point clear. 1: the cold start issue seemed to be fixed and I was content 2: I will not cease until I have both lights replaced and at no charge to me. The time went on and lights went off, flickered and I had to perform the usual procedure to get them quickly back on. Unfortunately I was never in the situation to take a video of the lights being off. The car was fine aside from the problems that were not reproducable. On multiple occasions, I mentioned the the headlight issue as well as the jerking issue to the audi service when regular service was performed, however the issues never appeared on the service report. Beginning April 2010 a new issue had arisen. I rarely have more than one person in the car, so I never open the back car doors. However, at one particular time I did and the passenger noted the seat belt being wet. I had only thought of the rain we had had a few days prior, assuming it must be a minor leak. I directly took the car to audi to have it confirmed by a customer service representative so that no one could tell me that it was not reproducible. Two days later with a dry seatbelt I had a service appointment. Naturally, the response that I got was not surprising. The leak was not reproducable and was therefore not addressed. At that point I was fed and called Audi service to talk to their customer support. Their response did not differ from that of the dealer.
As it happens, one day later I was driving on a parking lot and the passanger side xenon turned off. PERFECT, I was able to shoot the video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ai0xDBIc-A) This clearly shows that the error is present. Unfortunately at 9 pm at night I was not able to contact the dealer. I was also not willing to break the law to get my car to an audi service station as suggested by the dealer. I hope that this video will help anyone else who may be experiencing the same problems. It is a safety issue that is not addressed with the proper level of concern by audi.
Unfortunately, it may very well happen that both lights go out simultaneously while I am driving, putting myself as well as others on the road at serious risk.
Cheers,
H.

a4 b7 2006 s-line
Old 05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be cliche, I feel your pain! Just after buying a used 06 A4 Sline, the dash error signal for the dipped and other lights (total of 4 error messages) were going off every time I drove at night. Took it to the dealer, who said those error messages not stored by the car and they couldn't reproduce. Just a waste of time. Took to independent mechanic, who replaced all the bulbs. No problem since then, over 2 months, so this was the problem. Bulbs were simply dying. Assuming the bulbs I replaced were original ones, they lasted to about 64,000 miles. The dipped bulbs are the expensive ones so if you don't have warranty or some recourse, it will be costly.

Also complained about long crank time. My favorite mechanic learned about the recall for the ignition coils. So Audi paid for this and it fixed the problem. Sounds like you're already on top of this one.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your compassion. Yet, I am pretty sure that it is not the bulb that is faulty. Instead, I suspect it be the ignition/ballast or the whole headlight itself. See for example: http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/s...php?p=23809262
Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default News from the audi

Just to give you an update. Since this morning the car is at the dealer. Sure enough, the personal at the Dealer was not able to locate the error (recall, this error does not generate a fault code; a bug in the system?). Since Audi will only address problems that they can see or are recorded by fault codes, the problem would typically stay untouched. That means you will get the car back with a comment: "Checked car for faults, no fault codes stored, headlights working to spec".
If the system does not throw a fault code, you are stuck and having a warranty or not does not matter.
Since there is evidence, an Audi engineer will work on the problem as of tomorrow. Anyhow, even if the error is fixed by replacing both headlights, two questions will remain:

1) Will it happen again? Is it really fixed? (If you cannot tell that it is broke, how can you verify that it is working?)

2) Can I trust the car to generate important/safety related fault codes that Audi can use to detect errors? (As mentioned, you will be only covered by the warranty if there are clear indications for errors or fault codes)

Have a nice evening!
H.

audi a4 b7 s-line
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's the bulb that is failing causing the warning lights. Can be covered under warranty (if the car is still under warranty) by blaming the bulb failure on the igniter ballast. If you're out of warranty just put a new Xenon bulb in and drive safely at night.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same issue with my vehicle on the RH side. They replaced the bulb 2 years ago and it has started to flicker again. Mainly in the morning at start up and every so often it will go out. I just turn the lights off , wait and turn them back on. I will just deal with it until it goes to total failure. As you said, if the dealership doesn't see it or it throws a fault, they are apt to say it is OK.

2006 A4 S - Line , 6 spd,

Originally Posted by lemon77audi
Just to give you an update. Since this morning the car is at the dealer. Sure enough, the personal at the Dealer was not able to locate the error (recall, this error does not generate a fault code; a bug in the system?). Since Audi will only address problems that they can see or are recorded by fault codes, the problem would typically stay untouched. That means you will get the car back with a comment: "Checked car for faults, no fault codes stored, headlights working to spec".
If the system does not throw a fault code, you are stuck and having a warranty or not does not matter.
Since there is evidence, an Audi engineer will work on the problem as of tomorrow. Anyhow, even if the error is fixed by replacing both headlights, two questions will remain:

1) Will it happen again? Is it really fixed? (If you cannot tell that it is broke, how can you verify that it is working?)

2) Can I trust the car to generate important/safety related fault codes that Audi can use to detect errors? (As mentioned, you will be only covered by the warranty if there are clear indications for errors or fault codes)

Have a nice evening!
H.

audi a4 b7 s-line
Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default the end of the problem???

Even though I have not had the time to drive the car at night I would like to update you on the overall process thus far. As mentioned, an engineer was contacted. I am not exactly sure what process was performed to detect the problem, but I was advised that all components of the lights would work to specifications. The conclusion was that the bulbs must be faulty. Both bulbs were replaced at no charge. Personally I do not feel that Audi itself (I am not talking about the dealer), is handling the issue in the appropriate manner. I believe that a safety related part that does not allow you to detect the exact source of an error needs to be replaced completely. Yet, I appreciate the fact that they replaced the bulbs for free (I think they are not covered on a 2006 warranty).

I also would like to mention that I have been in contact with the NHTSA. They are aware of the dipped headlight problem. If you have a concern with your car, you can report the problem @
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

In regards to the dipped headlight issue I was asked if I have any information whether both the high and low beams affected by this failure or just the low beam. Maybe one of you guys who will have a chance to record that.

Hoping, but not believing, that the repair fixed the issue.
Cheers,
H.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with both my headlights and they would flicker when it was really cold out 10-20ºF. both were replaces under audi warranty, and haven't had the problems since.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have had the dipped headlight problem as well with a 2006 A4. I have my lights set to always be on. Every now and then I'll see the light flicker or go out and get the dipped headlight warning. What I do is turn my lights fully off, leave them off for a few seconds, and then switch them back on. This seems to fix the problem. Being out of warranty it is a lot cheaper than replacing the headlights every time, but a recall would be very nice.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDroid
I have had the dipped headlight problem as well with a 2006 A4. I have my lights set to always be on. Every now and then I'll see the light flicker or go out and get the dipped headlight warning. What I do is turn my lights fully off, leave them off for a few seconds, and then switch them back on. This seems to fix the problem. Being out of warranty it is a lot cheaper than replacing the headlights every time, but a recall would be very nice.

The dealer told me its a common problem with the headlights. since they are high voltage they need a ballast to get the bulb to ignite. sometimes there are defects in the ballast. unfortunately we have gotten them. plus if you are in a cold climate it will make them flicker more.

Quick Reply: dipping HID lights and other problems + video link