A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

2007-08 Audi A4 - Should I buy? What to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007-08 Audi A4 - Should I buy? What to look out for?

I'm new to this, and i'm looking for a 2007-08 certified pre owned audi a4 2.0 quattro. It is either this or lease a 2010 acura tsx. I really never liked japanese cars, and I love audi's. This will be my first car purchase ever, i'm 18 years old driving my mom's old nissan minivan .

I have a lot of friends who have these cars. My friend has a 2006 with 40k on the clock and no problems. Another friend has a 2008 with the nice looking s-line package no problems. But, one of them has a 2007 and has that crazy oil problem. When you prop open the trunk all you see is empty bottles of castrol syntec, no joke...

So, I would definately rather have this car in my driveway, but how do I know i'm not buying a lemon with the oil burning problem. Other than carfax there's no way to really know... and carfax sucks.

I am definately not a pro with cars and I just learned how to do my own oil changes... I also know alot of mechanics who specialize in german cars and they told me to stay away, but I really can't audi's are just the ****

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm so lost and I can't afford to buy a lemon I probably make less than everyone on this forum =P. I do know how they are to maintain on a regular basis with oil changes, tires, brake pads, and the whole nine yards.

If you are a mechanic or know about the B7 PLEASE give me some advice, I can't be putting $24-27k into an synthetic oil beast. And please let me know some common maintenance issues besides the timing belt @ 60k. I really appreciate it
Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know. As you can see from another recent thread on the forum, this model is a big step up from previous Audi's. But (not knowing anything about recent Acuras), I'd expect the reliability of a new TSX to be way better.

It does have a few problems: coil packs, diverter valve, cam follower wear, and intake valve carbon buildup. The first 3 should be covered under warranty. Also, you're looking at a pretty pricey timing belt replacement around 70k (I think this runs a couple grand).

The B7 A4 is a good car, and I would guess handles better and has much more tuning potential than a TSX. However, if you place a premium on reliability and low-cost maintenance, it still might not be your best option.

Last edited by NEProwler; 04-17-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've owned Acuras and Audis. I think that the main difference, as stated above is the tuning potential. Even if you're only going to get it chipped. I test drove the TSX and was very turned off by the performance. It has NO *****!
The TSX lacks a little sophistification also. I am a fan of Acura, but they are way to boring.
As far as reliability. All cars are prone to some problems of course. Adding the fact that Audis are typical German (over-engineered) you can run in to problems.
Just buy one with a warranty. Like most cars, if it is a problem child it is born that way. Buy one with 30k on it and the problems will be apparent or worked out. If not the warranty will come in to good use.
My only complaint about the Audis are how easy the paint chips. Get one with a great paint job and buy a full 3m clear bra IMMEDIATELY!
Good luck!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One more thing. Make sure you get the S-Line package, and on that note, make sure it is the full/real s-line pkg. Not the appearance pkg. only.
I have seen more non-sline to s-line conversions that I care to discuss. You end up spending just as much money and still don't get all the nice little details.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just turned 70K on my 2006 and the only issue I have had is the seized glove box shock. Mine is a 3.2. If you don't plan on chipping it, go with the 3.2. MPG isn't drastically different and you can avoid the issues mentioned above.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
you can avoid the issues mentioned above.
I don't know which issues you're talking about. Obviously no problem with the DV valve failure, because it doesn't have one. But that's a minor problem & covered under warranty. I think it still has the cam follower wear issue, and it's more prone to carbon buildup. I don't know whether it's more likely to burn oil.

IMO, both engines have pluses and minuses. I think it really comes down to a matter of preferences and priorities. One consideration is that the 3.2 can be very difficult to find in a manual or avant. And if you want a 3.2 manual avant... good luck (but they do exist!).

I have never regretted getting a 3.2. Okay, maybe, for just an instant, I've wondered how much better a B7 S4 would be. I've thought for just a little longer about the 135i (I even testdrove one). But in terms of practicality, price, and ownership costs, this was really the best option for me.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NEProwler
I don't know. As you can see from another recent thread on the forum, this model is a big step up from previous Audi's. But (not knowing anything about recent Acuras), I'd expect the reliability of a new TSX to be way better.

It does have a few problems: coil packs, diverter valve, cam follower wear, and intake valve carbon buildup. The first 3 should be covered under warranty. Also, you're looking at a pretty pricey timing belt replacement around 70k (I think this runs a couple grand).

The B7 A4 is a good car, and I would guess handles better and has much more tuning potential than a TSX. However, if you place a premium on reliability and low-cost maintenance, it still might not be your best option.
I would say that you are incorrect on the tsx. The k24 motor that comes in it has so much potential. There are 3 that I know of here in phoenix that are running 1100 hp. Anyway i'm also in the same boat as the op. I'm 23 and looking to upgrade from my civic here soon and would love to jump in with the b7 or b8 depending on price and so on. I am nervous though mainly about maintenance. Can someone enlighten me on average cost each time you go to the dealership. What's the average price of fluid changes, and I keep hearing mixed quotes for timing belt replacement. A couple here say around 2k and others say around 1k and then theres the diy method of 290 bucks. Anyway to the OP I would still get the car just I guess from what I hear make sure you have deep pockets and enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You should look through the local forums here or other Audi forums and find a good shop to inspect the car. Usually costs an hour labor. Used this to look for a Audi 90 for my daughter and they caught a bunch of stuff on one car and saved me lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Want to do compression tests, visual inspection of suspension and brake system, look for damage underneath, look for oil leaks.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is there a writeup on checking the cam lobe and follower?

I searched but couldn't find anything for the 2.0.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey so recently bought an A4 avant. What is the difference between the s-line motor and a normal 1.8t. Is it just a bigger motor or are there factory mods involved? I'm looking to bump the horsepower and torque up with chip, exhaust and intake. Is that pretty much S-line performance?

Quick Reply: 2007-08 Audi A4 - Should I buy? What to look out for?