A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

clunk/thunk noise coming from rear of car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk/thunk noise coming from rear of car...

I've had my car less than a day and went to lunch today with a coworker.

we noticed this weird really hollow clunk sound coming from the right rear of the car.

I did not have anything in the trukn and we checked the spare tire area to see if anything was moving around in there.

Another coworker said it was probably a bushing problem in the suspension?

Does anyone know what this could be? I scheduled an appointment with the nearest audi dealer for tuesday, but I was hoping to know if anyone had any good theories?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

oh also, it only really happens if we go over speed bumps. I wasn't going at a ridiculous speed or anything just at a normal speed you'd go over a speed bump.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had this happen to me too. In my case, it turned out to be a faulty strut. I went on a test ride, and then the technician took it in for an inspection. He determined that it was a faulty strut, but wanted to make sure. Since the noise was coming from the left-rear, he swapped the left and right struts. After the swap, the thunk noise started coming from the right.

So for me, it was a strut. But I think for some others the noise may be coming from elsewhere. Hope this helps though.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

ah thanks, i hope this doesnt take too long to fix. i'm assumning they will give a loaner right?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hans007
ah thanks, i hope this doesnt take too long to fix. i'm assumning they will give a loaner right?
Yes they should offer a loaner. However, be prepared for a back-order of parts, and it might take 10 days or so. But the faulty strut wasn't a safety issue, so they let me continue driving the car until the part arrived. It should only take a day to fix.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

I have what sounds like the same hollow clunk coming from the right rear of my '10 A4 (delivery, 12/31/09), now with about 850 miles. Two weeks ago the dealer isolated it, they claim, to the *left* rear shock. The part was ordered and tomorrow (Tues) morning they will replace it. We'll see if they got the right part and side. I'll post with results.

-Dave
Old 02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

did you check if you forgot the wife/girlfriend in the trunk?. That happens to me sometimes. =D
Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

... took delivery of my A4 last Friday. Didn't get to drive it until this morning, b/c of the snow we got over the weekend. I initially thought the clunking was normal due to the stiff suspension. But the sound was consistenly coming from one side.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by teas2ker
... took delivery of my A4 last Friday. Didn't get to drive it until this morning, b/c of the snow we got over the weekend. I initially thought the clunking was normal due to the stiff suspension. But the sound was consistenly coming from one side.
I'm quite surprised that this is still happening on 2010 models. Happened on my '09 I got last May after about 1500 miles of driving. It was built January of 2009 I think. The noise came from the left rear.

The service department identified mine as a faulty strut. Here was the process:

1. Took it to the dealership
2. Went on a test ride to diagnose the problem
3. Sent the car in for inspection
4. Technician suspected it was a faulty left strut
5. To confirm, the technician swapped the left and right struts
6. The rattle then occured on the right side of the vehicle, so problem confirmed
7. A new strut was ordered, and it had a 10-day back-order
8. I took the car home since it was not a safety issue
9. I received a call 10 days later saying the part had arrived
10. Brought the car in, had the strut replaced, and the rattle was gone
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jkownz
did you check if you forgot the wife/girlfriend in the trunk?. That happens to me sometimes. =D
Which side was used to store which?

Quick Reply: clunk/thunk noise coming from rear of car...