Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear Heater question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Heater question

I have a 2010 TDI with the rear seat heater/AC option. I am having trouble in two areas. First, regardless of the temperature setting, air flow does not come out of the vent between the seats in the control unit. It comes out slightly in the pillar vents by the rear windows. Also, while the heater in the front puts out heat shortly after starting, sometimes the rear puts out cold air for a long long time. It eventually gets warm but even when the temperature is cranked up high the fan setting makes little differnce. Anyone else have any issues?

Mike
Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I have a 2010 TDI with the rear seat heater/AC option. I am having trouble in two areas. First, regardless of the temperature setting, air flow does not come out of the vent between the seats in the control unit. It comes out slightly in the pillar vents by the rear windows. Also, while the heater in the front puts out heat shortly after starting, sometimes the rear puts out cold air for a long long time. It eventually gets warm but even when the temperature is cranked up high the fan setting makes little differnce. Anyone else have any issues?

Mike
actually i never tested the back heated seats .. i will test it later and report back my findings .. my heated steering wheel on my 07 doesn't seem to heat up compared to my BMW .. i can't really tell the difference ..
Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your observations would be appreciated. I went for a drive and found the following:

- the air coming out of the vents (other than the middle vent) was ice cold until the temperature guage reached the midpoint (fully warmed up). When the temp. gauge reached the middle, some heat did come out of the side vents, but at a low rate.

- when I increased the temperature, the fan did not change until it reached "Hi".

- when I turned off the "Auto" button, and pushed the butten directing the flow pattern, I could then get the middle vent to work. However, when the flow pattern button went to "Auto", no air came out of the middle.

I can't believe it is supposed to work this way.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

With regards to the steering wheel heater, I can also hardly tell it is on. By contrast, my A6 4.2 wheel gets very warm.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same question about the vents recently. From what I could gather from the manual, it seems like the rear vents are there mostly for cooling. For heat, the air comes from the foot wells.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same in the front of my 2010 TDI. The center vents above the console never put out real heat in the auto mode. The manual does mention something about the central and side vents mostly being used for cooling so Im guessing the feet and windshield vents are used for bringing the ambient temp up so you don't get a hot air blast in the face.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finally got around testing the rear heated seat .. it took some time to heat up and when it did .. most of the heat was located around the hamstring area .. didn't feel as warm as the front seats .. i did notice the heat was coming out of the side vent but i forgot to check the rear contol vents .. from my memory i believe it was coming out .. by the way if you have the safety locks pushed in for the rear seats located on the driveside .. you can not control the rear controls .. i need to refer back to the manual
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I certainly hope that the AC works better than the heat with the rear climate control system. As I mentioned earlier, NO HEAT comes out of the sides or the middle until the temperature gauge reaches the middle mark...fully warmed up. If you are sitting in the rear seat, you get blasted with cold air until then. Once heat does start coming out, turning up the temperature settings does little to change fan speed, again totally different than any other climate control system I have seen.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you by any chance have the rear heated seats ON? One thing I noticed with Audi's setting is that once the heated seats are on, temperature out the vents remain cold to prevent body overheating?!?.

You can test this out by turning the heated seat on on one side and off on the other. You will notice that the air coming out from each of the vents are of different temperature.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting....I'll give it a try. I was also wondering if the TDI operates different from the gas engines. The TDI warms up very slowly. Maybe gas Q7's heat faster, as it relates to the rear heater?