A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

airbag light reset -> vag-com general help --in PA

Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag light reset -> vag-com general help --in PA

Have: Airbag light on

I have a feeling it is the under passenger seat connection because:
1.It is loose
2.This is the usual suspect

I've been searching posts and net for days and am getting various accounts....I know I can buy a cable, then install 409 software to get codes but,...I need to know:

a. once I have codes will this cable and software be able to reset airbag light?

b. will ver. 409 or a torrent I found w/a possible 409 crack work?

c. Do I seriously need a Rosstech unit to clear this?

d. If so, where for cheap?...I live near harrisburg, Pa?

Thanks for any help you can give me. This problem is making me loony...I've searched this site, vortex and the net for 2 days its in the way of a state inspection. (And yes I realize these cheap cables floating around are not always reliable. This is all I need it for....and the emphasis is on Cheap)

Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar issue with airbag light. I hooked up my vagcom and got connector resistance fault codes. However VAGCOM would not clear the codes. I have and actual HEX+COM cable from Ross-Tech, not a cheap eBay one. So I took a chance and ordered one of those cheap airbag light reset tools from eBay since I've read some other Audi folks had positive results and wouldn't you know, it worked.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is there a particular reset tool you use? Most on ebay are about $50. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=air...tool&_osacat=0 Is that the one you are talking about?

And if you rest the airbag, but there is actually a problem with your airbag, will the light come back on (I don't want to reset the light and then not have it come on if there is a real problem with my airbag)? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by orangedawg
Is there a particular reset tool you use? Most on ebay are about $50. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=air...tool&_osacat=0 Is that the one you are talking about?

And if you rest the airbag, but there is actually a problem with your airbag, will the light come back on (I don't want to reset the light and then not have it come on if there is a real problem with my airbag)? Thanks for your help!
I bought a vag-com cable usb to obdII type --used vag-com 409 with xstarter.exe . I'm not sure if i needed to use xstarter but it worked a 1 sec intervals.

this got the code and cleared it. I then found the loose connection (in the drivers left footwell, could also be under pass. or drivers seat) -yellow connector i believe with purple wires-- i reattached than zip tied it super tight, then ran vag-com again....no code was found-> problem fixed

If i hadn't found the culprit (loose connection) the code and light would have kept coming back on. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default vag-com

oh yeah.. i got mine of ebay from a US seller. worked fine.